1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opinions wanted please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by shazbah, May 17, 2004.

1. shazbah

shazbah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all. Been reading everyones post and dribbling over the photos of your plasma setups. Being a real novice i can only dream of your knowledge on the plasma jargon. Heres my question, i would love a plasma but only have a couple of grand, the techwood seems to be the only thing in my price range and some people have reported bad picture quaility on theres. I have just seen a Sony KE42TS2E for £2600 which comes with stand and built in tuner.
    Why is it when reading through page and pages of plasmas ive not come across anyone with a sony? I have a new sony surround system which just cost me £600 so would make sence to link them up. Would you guys not recomend a sony?

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yeah the TEchwood screens are pretty awful. The Sony's are based on Hitachi panels but somehow didn't quite get the same quality as the Hitachi (this may have changed with recen revisions mind). Panasonic is the flavour of the month, every month here and with the huge popularity of the screen demand has pulled the price right down to lower than you have seen that Sony for so my advice would be if you're already very close save up for a little longer and get the Panny!!!

The manufacturer of your kit has little or no relevance on linking your DVD to plasma. The output of the Sony you have will be the same no matter what display it is going into.

Built in tuners aren't that great either - the picture is transmitted using RF so is already pants before it even gets to your plasma. If you have Sky/Freeview/Cable and don't use teletext in the main viewing room then you would do better to get a plasma monitor rather than television, the picture is usually better and the price cheaper!!!

HTH

3. shazbah

shazbah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the reply m8 will knock the sony on the head then and yea your right ill save for the panny. Ive been looking at the offer on av-sales for the panny th-42pwd6 that comes as a complete kit. the only trouble is do i get the scart board or the other? Ineed to connect
    sony dav s800 dvd player/amp which only has phono sockets on back and one yellow phono for output to tv. Its connected to tv at mo by using a scart whith 3 phonos on the back and the yellow lead/phono is plugged in to that. Its also got a s-video output
    freeview box
    phillips dvd recorder
    sorry for my ignorance but i dont know to much about this stuff and when spending all that money i want to get it right and not have to put things to one side and order somthimg else because its not compatable
    thanks for your patience