1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions wanted: Kef Eggs and a REL Quake.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by DJWillis, Sep 29, 2002.

1. DJWillis

DJWillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,

I was after any opinions on the above combo :D.

I have auditioned the Eggs a few times and my only criticism for the price is that the Kef sub in the kit is frankly not up to the job (IMHO) and leaves the whole set sounding too bright for music.

With that in mind I was considering my options with regard to pairing the Eggs with a better sub.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the above combo or any suitable subs up to about the £400 mark that work well with the Eggs?

Failing that, does anybody have any other speaker combos that have a high ‘Girlfriend appreciation factor’ for under £1000 all in that are not going to sound really bad (al la FS2/AV)?

I would consider the Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro's or Duo’s but there is no dealer within 100 miles of Bath that I could get a demo from.

Last but not least, if anybody can recommend competitive suppliers for any of the above then fire away.

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    John,

Check out the various threads about the Gallos Micros. I heard these recently and was blown away by the quality of these things. They are not lifestyle speakers like the Kefs, but first rate mind blowing speakers, that at the same time keep the wife/girlfriend happy.

And Uncle Eric has them on a power buy at the moment, £135 each (black and white) that are £150 retail, and colours at £150 (£175 retail) and the fantastic sub, which is a few grades above the Quake, at £450.

By my maths thats £1125 all in inc delivery, ok its a little more than the Kefs, But these things give the S85's from M&K a beating and they cost £425 each.

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Oh and you could also buy them in stages if the intial outlay is scary, many are buying the front 3 and sub with stands, then adding the rears a few months later.

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Oh, and my opinion of the Kef eggs, they are alright but are very overpriced for a not so great return in sound quality, this is when compared to the Micros.

5. DJWillis

DJWillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    THX,

I was afraid somebody was going to say that ;). I have to find a demo of the Micro's now :D.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Do you have to keep mentioning that :)

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984

Fraid so, but then Ian you know that already, thats why you went the 1510 route was it not;)

8. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Uh, that's not the answer Uncle Eric gave when I asked him the following question:

"Gallos as good as S85s? That I find very difficult to believe but I've only heard the S85s and Eric's heard both so I'll let him comment."

His reply was as follows:

"There would also be something serously wrong if they were as the S85's are almost three times the price. So the answer is very nearly but not quite. But boy do they come close. A little too close."

So, let's get the facts right people - the Gallo Micros are great value and are very nearly as good as the M&K S85s but they are not as good and they are certainly not better.

As for Ian's 1510's - a step up in quality from the S85's according to the man who knows.

Matt.

p.s. No, I don't own S85's by the way.

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984

Matt,

First have you heard the Gallo micros? Have you heard them almost head to head? I have.

My comments are valid, I heard them with my own ears and I commented with my own judgement and opinion.

Yes I would also agree with Eric's comments, that his opinion that I trust very much, infact nearly £2.5k as much as that ia what I am spending in the next month with him.

But don't come along and tell people to get there facts right, when they are just giving their opinion.

Of course the S85 are better :rolleyes: But not in terms of price per performance. In fact they are overpriced for what you actually get, and in my books that makes the very close Gallos in sound quality, BETTER than the S85s.

And please stop misquoting people, i said gave them a beating, never said they were better in terms of overall performance, but price to performance ratio.

10. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    THX 1138 – as my post made clear, I have only heard the S85s.

Sorry if I misunderstood your original statement – I thought when you said “But these things give the S85's from M&K a beating and they cost £425 each” you meant that the Gallos were better full stop. I think it’s because you added the “and they cost £425 each” to me that means you’re saying – even though the M&Ks cost substantially more, the Gallos are still better.

If you’d said they give the S85s a beating on price to performance ratio then that would have been more clear (certainly to me) but I can certainly find no mention of price to performance ratio in your post.

So, hey, let’s not get into an argument on this one – I thought you were saying one thing when you actually meant something else and how about we settle on this statement:

“In sound quality terms, the Gallo Micros are incredibly close to the M&K S85s. However, in value for money terms the Gallos are miles ahead.”

Matt.

11. DJWillis

DJWillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I like that statement ;). Now does anybody know of Gallos dealers in the South West :D.

It sounds like the Gallos have to be worth a demo. Any other ideas?

12. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    You could get in touch with Eric and visit the batcave, bit of a drive for you (about 2hours or so) but would be worth it to hear these speakers at their max.

13. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Or try Gallos website for dealer directory, can't find the link at the moment, will come back with it.