Opinions urgently needed!

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by RobCummings, Sep 28, 2003.

1. RobCummings

RobCummings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all! This is my first post here, and I'd be grateful for your advice...

Argos are offering two sets at the moment:

Philips 24W6006 at £278
    Philips 28W6006 at £349

and I'd like to know if they're a good buy by todays standards. Is there a better set at this price point? £350 is really a kind of limit.
    It'll be used to view digibox stuff - such as RGB from a telewest cable connection...

The review is here: http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/Televisions/Philips/Philips28PW6006.shtml

Thanks in advance!
    Rob

2. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could get 28PW6006 at RGB for £293.99.

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/CategoryList.asp?ManuCode=2&CategoryCode=2

Fairly good TV according to some with curved screen (search these forums, some very happy but some have had problem sets, but seems true of many TV's)

If you could stretch to around £375 they have the 28PW6517 which is flat screen.

3. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Don't buy philips. Try and stretch your budget and go for a Toshiba 32" far better televsions and more bang for your buck in my opinion

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I have philips 28pw6006c and a tosh 32zd26p. Believe me there is NOT £600 worth of difference in picture quality.:lesson:

5. RobCummings

RobCummings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So whats the best box from www.argos.co.uk or comet? those are the only places we can purchase from for various reasons.

We can spend up to £400 maximum... :)

6. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Mylo, not knowing your Philips TV, does it have 3 scarts progressive scan and component input? Plus its a 32 inch not a 28 and I was reffering to the lesser 50hz models like 32z23 or z33.

7. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    No but my tosh does. I was answering the mans post. I have the luxury of being able to compare the 2 sets. :) I thought he may care how it compares to a much higher spec machine.

8. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Sorry Rob, if you can only buy from those 2 retailers I'm lost for a suggestion. But what they have to offer is seriously, seriously overpriced.:(

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Any reason for buying from argos???

10. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Did you really mean that you don't know the models being asked about? If so how can you suggest something is better? If you didn't mean it, sorry.:)

11. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have no direct knowledge of the philips TV in question, sorry bout that. i was merly implying that toshibas were better value for money in my opinion (do a comparison on pricerunner), I have however had phillips TV's in the past and wasnt impressed with the one I had. Dont ask me which one it was I've slept since then.

12. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob

If you have to buy from Argos then within your budget it's probably down to the one you've mentioned, the Philips 28PW6006 or also consider the Thomson 28WH201S. The Thomson got a good review in What Video (Sept) and it's a flatscreen. These 2 sets are not too badly priced but as Fordy implied a lot of Argos TVs are priced quite high compared to other outlets.
    If you buy from Comet then there could be other possibilities perhaps if you bought online. I think they sometimes have special deals online. Alternatively they will price match I think within a limited radius so need to find a branch near someone like RGB but check the small print on pricematching.

onzey

13. RobCummings

RobCummings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lads! Looks like Thompson or Philips then! The reason I don't buy online is the nightmare service I had once: the tv arrived with a blurry picture and it took months of hassle to change it.

With argos, they don't care less what reason you have, and if it is faulty, they pick it up and change it without hassle... and since my missus is forking out, her word is law (she likes argos).