opinions please

CAS411

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Have been thinking about getting some "proper" Hi-end phones for some time now .

I have made a shortlist after reading various reviews ,etc -

Senn HD650
AKG 701
Beyerdynamic DT990

I have a friend who would sell me his 650's + a £100 upgraded cable for ...£170
The best price I can find the 701's ......£180 ish
And the DT990's seem to only be £86.99 (are these the best phones that they make as I thought these phones would have been priced similar to the AKG/senns ? )

What would you go for if the choice was yours ???

Any help or advice appreciated

Thanks

What cable is the add-on with the Senn 650? This seems to be the bargain of your choice.

Both the Senn HD650 and AKG701 are well regarded, each will perform better & better as you upgrade your source equipment. Have a look at the Beyer DT880 for a more expensive model.

Of course there is the Grado line of headphones

One of the deciding factors (other than cost) is the type of music - Grado are more suited for Rock.

Have a look at the thread at the top of this forum as well.

My personal choice would be the Senn 650 with the cable, as my system has evolved the 650 has kept pace and will do so even if I upgrade to even higher levels.

Steve

Thanks for that, steviedvd

Because I have heard the 650's in my system, I was thinking that these might be the best option for me as well. As far as the cable goes, it was bought from a U.S. company called Moon audio (the cable is the Blue Dragon). I am afraid that's all I know about it .

I listen to a wide variety of music so they would have to be good all-rounders

My equipment is predominantly valve/vinyl

Thanks

Thanks for that, steviedvd

Because I have heard the 650's in my system, I was thinking that these might be the best option for me as well. As far as the cable goes, it was bought from a U.S. company called Moon audio (the cable is the Blue Dragon). I am afraid that's all I know about it .

I listen to a wide variety of music so they would have to be good all-rounders

My equipment is predominantly valve/vinyl

Thanks

Go for the Senn then it's the all rounder and as stated the cable itself is a good one making the deal too good to pass up.

The Beyer DT990 is a bit of a strange one as there are a few versions of it with the main difference being in the headband. The £80 ones are the "Pro" version which grip quite tightly, the "hifi" versions weigh in at around £200.

Don't be confused by the price though - they genuinely are some of the best headphones around at a sensible price level. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom