1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opinions please

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by mcmullanbrush, Apr 28, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will be buying a games console next week and would like advice on which to get.
    i am not bothered about cd or dvd playback so gamecube would be okay
    i have some ps1 games so ps2 would be usefull
    i believe xbox has the best sound and graphics

i suppose it comes down to games, i am not really a gamer but i like to have the occasonal go, a good football game, a good driving game, a good shoot em up and a resident evil type game would do me.

can any of you experts give me some guidance

2. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    I'm not an expert but I really like video games so I'll try to help.

1. PS2: This is a good safe bet and will have plenty of decent and not so decent games for a long while yet. It is also handy that it will play your PS1 games. However, it's all a bit lacklustre and graphically I think it will be outshone by the the Gamecube and XBox. The lack of 4 controller ports might also be a consideration. If you want to play it safe and be assured of a well supported machine get a PS2 though you might miss out on some very interesting times for Gamecube and XBox. Also, the £199 price tag now seems a bit steep.

2. Xbox. Probably the most powerful machine with the added bonus that it has DD5.1 sound and is broadband internet-ready. The controller is a bit unrefined though and the machine itself is an ugly beast. Halo is a great game to get you started but after that there's not much else that grabs me. I've played AMPED and PGR and they're pretty standard fayre. The power of the machine including the internal hard drive means that it has the potential for some amazing software in the future if it can install a big enough user base which it is struggling to do at the moment. I think the best thing to do with the Xbox is leave it for a year and see what's happening then. It could end up as the best console to have, or the worst.

3. Gamecube: The launch lineup is quite strong with a good variety of fun games. However, Nintendo are not to everyone's taste and there is no one killer must-have title for a few months yet. Not so strong for driving games if you like them but strong on platformers and original titles. Nintendo also have a reputation for outstanding gameplay. No internet plans announced yet, if ever. The controller is excellent. The £129 price tag is ridiculously good value.

That's my tuppence. 'Which console should I get?' is a bit subjective.

Better advice will probably come from someone who already has some or all of the above consoles. I've got none of the above (still relying on my dreamcast!)

RDB :)

3. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for taking the time with such a detailed reply. i cant really be any more specific other than to say i had a ps1 for a couple of years which i maybe played for no more than 50 hours.
    so obviously games that take ages to get into are a no no, hence my preference for stuff like driving and football which can usually be played with a minimum of expertise.
    games i enjoyed have been die hard and alien trilogy and resident evil.
    i would like to have high quality sound and picture as i have a decent home cinema set up, but availability of games may be the key
    so thanks again rdb and does anyone else have an opinion
    cheers
    david

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    It's all pretty subjective, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Best console ? In a nutshell it all comes down to who installs the largest user base out there.

If you are looking for a safe bet it has to be the PS2. Whether you love it or hate it I doubt any contender will overthrow this machine. It's large existing user base ensures a ready stream of games for some time to come. And it's a Sony......

X-box has had a pretty poor launch. Launch titles apart from Halo, have not suggested as to the true power of the machine. However power and potential are nothing if they are not realised.

The Gamecube is by far the cheapest of the three. It will also retain the exclusive Nintendo games, which is what really makes this console and company what it is. Add to that the sheer amount of quality launch titles that appear on day one, I think you have a killer launch.

People seem to forget that on the 16th May a certain Star Wars trilogy screens it's next epsiode.

The Gamecube has RogueSquadron and something tells me this will make sure that this console sells by the truckload all summer long. The price alone is ridiculous enough for a nex-gen console to begin with.

Also for a low key launch in terms of advertising campaign, the GameCube has whipped up a surprising amount of pre-launch frenzy.

Gaming consoles are a funny business, the best and most powerful doesn't necessarily translate to best machine in Joe public's eyes. There tends to be a lot of hype in the equation.

My money's on the Gamecube to be far more successful than the X-box and probably to give the PS2 a hell of a run for the money.

Then again I've always played it safe and bought every console there's ever been since the days my trusty old binatone.......

5. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice, i can see i need to be a bit more specific.
    as i am not a gamer, i think what i maybe need is a decent console plus games package. i am not likely to want many more than 5 or 6 games of the kind i have already mentioned, so the long term future of a console doesnt really matter to me,
    has anyone seen any good bargains in terms of console plus games packages and where?

cheers david

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the time being, the X-Box and PS2 are selling at the same price, I believe. Since the PS2 is getting a little long in the tooth (considering the lifespan of a console these days) it would seem like the choice is an easy one... XBox.

But, PS2 already has a solid library of games that XBox just doesn't have yet.

Personally, I'm banking on the Box in the hopes that there will be more great games coming out for it. The system is still in it's infancy, afterall.

As for bundles, MS is big on selling 2 or more games with every system, so there are plenty of bundles... now less than £300!

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I agree with the "hope" of the X-box, but the demise of Sega was similarly pretty much down to not getting the impetus when they first launched both the Saturn and the DC.

X-box is such a powerful console, PC based & delivered by the mighty microsoft. Personally I think the word "infancy" simply cannot apply in terms of this console.

It may have the "muscle" but where's the "braun" ?

I have it along with Halo & PGR and can simply say it's not that brilliant a showing right now.

PS2 is still selling well along with it's older sibling and will continue to do so.

The PS1 is much longer in the tooth but look how well that still sells ?

At the end of the day you don't play a console you play the games. It's the games that'll decide it.

And Nintendo have a certain Mr S. Myamoto on their side......

8. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, I have all three consoles and I'll try to give you a balanced view (I love all three!!).

From your requirements, I would immediately rule out the Gamecube. It will have some great games like Zelda and Mario but these are not the type of games you like.

Both the XBOX and PS2 will have good football, driving, shooting games etc. Obviously the XBOX is the more powerful machine plus has DD 5.1 etc. It is also a bargain at £199. Oh, and a game called Halo.....

If I lost all three machines today, the first one I would go back out and buy is the XBOX.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I've not been impressed with most games on the X box. Halo is ok, but I can play all that stuff on the PC, plus 1st person shooters make me feel sick after a few minutes! Amped... X box only owners should wait for SSX tricky, much better and it's the sort of game you can pick up and play for a few minutes or a few hours. Star Wars fans unfortunately got another poor license with Obi Wan. I've not played Project Gotham Racing, but it looks a good racing game. Dead or Alive (fighting game) I enjoyed, and it's easy to pick up & play for a few minutes.

You did mention football games... Pro Evolution Soccer on the PS2 is the best football game I've played (Way back to Commodore 64 and Spectrum days). Unfortunately the commentary is the worst, but the game is fantastic. Forget EASports Fifas efforts.
    The X box needs to get this game with an updated commentary (please!).

10. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Amped is trying to be different to SSX. It is much more challenging but at the same time, more rewarding too. I like both for different reasons. I think you are being a little harsh with Halo but anyway...

Couldn't agree more about football games. Pro Evolution Soccer on the PS2 is the best footy game on any system ever although there is room for improvement (commentary, balanced refereeing etc). ISS2 on the XBOX is getting terrible reviews so it is crying out for an updated PES game. The new Fifa World Cup game on XBOX is pretty good - certainly the best Fifa I have played since the Mega Drive days.

The problems at the moment is that there aren't any games on PS2 or XBOX that I am particularly looking forward to. I can't wait for Zelda GC and a Perfect Dark follow-up on the GC.

11. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a proud Nintendo-hater (but in a good way:p ) because I think the company should still be punished for the horrible N64 game library. But, if Perfect Dark comes out on the GC, and given the system's low price, I might have to eat crow and pick up a Cube.

The buggers made me buy an N64 for 3 games, and if they make me buy a Cube, I'll.... well, I'll go ahead and buy it. But, I won't enjoy it!... Ok, I'll enjoy it. But, I'll wring my fist a lot while I'm playing. :)

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    The Game Cube will be getting Virtua Striker 3, personally I loved VS2, bit simple gameplay but it was just a great game to get into and graphics were darn good.

If I had to trade in all my consoles the one I'd be most reluctant to let go is the Dreamcast.

This console has so many blinding games, many of which put the PS2 offerings to shame. It's demise is unbelievable & very sad.

If people think the Cube is going cheap, to see the DC selling at around £60 with a couple of games is just unreal.

Sometimes I wonder what this world has come to. I play Project Gotham and then I play MSR, then I wonder what's the fuss all about ?

My X-box is beginning to gather dust and the PS2 is buried under it. Still at least they're there for when the decent games come out.