Opinions please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Elppin, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Elppin

Elppin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi,

Well, the extension is slowly inching closer to completion, and with it, the combined living room and home theatre.

I've just bought the first couple of bits of kit (Sony STR-DN1040 and a set of Wharfedale DX1 HCP satellites and subwoofer).

Next step is to finalise my TV/Projector screen wall, and I could use a little help and/or criticism. Won't be at all offended if what I'm thinking is rubbish - the time to think again is now!

Attached is a mockup of what I'm thinking. The wall in question is 4 metres wide, but must have some cupboards involved as we are very short of storage space.

The attached pic shows a couple of 1 metre wide cupboards at either end of the wall. I'm then hoping to put in a false wall between the cupboards, and then build an AV shelf above the TV.

The AV shelf will be recessed into the false wall, so that the front of the receiver etc is flush with the face of the wall.

I'm hoping to do the same with the front LR and Centre speakers, although am unsure whether mounting the speakers in a "wall pocket" will be best from a speaker performance point of view.

The projector screen will then mount onto a header rail above the cupboards, and will drop down in front of the cupboard doors and TV, hopefully stopping just above the top of the speakers.

So, questions...

1. Am I going go suffer overheating issues with the AV kit when the projector screen is down? I'm hoping to be able to have around 8" of breathing space above the top of the receiver.

2. Will the speakers perform ok in a wall pocket, or am I better off simply wall mounting them?

3. Do the front L & R speakers need to be further apart?

4. Will I see the lights on the receiver/Sky Box etc through the projector screen? (As you may be able to tell, this will be my first projector).

5. Remote signal will be blocked to the AV kit when the projector screen is down. Easy way around this?

6. 7.1 or 5.1? Room is around 4 metres wide (the wall in the diagram), by about 5.9 metres long.

7. Projector screen size? Wall is 4m wide, and I guess I could just get a screen that is 4m wide and buy a projector that will give me a huge image to fill the screen. However, I'm assuming that seating distance from the screen and other variables will have some impact on what the optimum screen size will be. Hoping to decide on screen size first, and then buy a projector that will produce the desired image size from the distance that I will be running it.

8. General comments VERY welcome. Not done anything like this before, and am sure that there are improvements or issues that I'm not aware of. I do have to bear in mind that this is also a living room, so much as I'd like huge floorstanders, and more AV kit, I've got to keep the good lady happy too.

Thanks in advance for any help

Elppin

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,065
    You need to use speakers designed to be fitted into a wall if wanting inwall speakers. Doing so with conventional speakers isn't advisable and will compromise their audio output.

8" is amble ventilation for a receiver.

The front speakers appear to be fine. I'd suggest not placing them any closer together than 1m. I'd also suggest that they go to either side of a PJ screen and that they be mounted at what would be your head height while seated.

I'd suggest to recess the AV kit below where the screen will be rather than locating it behind the screen. Yes, your screen would block IR signals.

Where are you seated in relation to surround speakers? Is there walls to both the sides and to the rear of your listening position? These are factors that will determine the practicality of 7.1 and 5.1.

3. Elppin

Elppin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks Dante.

Getting the speakers further apart (and ideally either side of the projector screen) is something I was really hoping to do, but can't see a way to do it with the cupboards there. Hence the positioning in the pic being the best compromise I could come up with. Could def push them a little closer to the cupboard though to increase the distance slightly.

The AV units are mounted that high because otherwise my two year old will trash the units. I'm not convinced the receiver will put up with being hit by a plastic Buzz Lightyear!

Room is a bog standard rectangle, and we're planning on having the sofa in a metre and a half or so from the back wall. Could prob find a place to mount speakers level with sofa and behind, but not sure if room is too small for 7.1?

Elppin