opinions please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kels, Dec 27, 2000.

1. kels

kels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After the disaster with the Hitachi DVD player I bought, I thought it wiser to ask your opinion on which DVD player is the best. I'm going out at the weekend to buy a new one - the gits wouldn't take it back no matter how much I shouted and screamed at them.

I need a DVD that plays region 1 & 2 -as well as being able to do the usual and not so ususal.

kels

2. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Panasonic RV60 myself which I'm very happy with. Other than configuring it for NTSC/PAL output and RGB, oh and perhaps digital output, I haven't touched any of its other settings. Configured it the night I got it and haven't been back.

I did demo a Marantz, Rotel, and Onkyo player, and way preferred the Rotel to the Marantz for sound quality (sorry, this was months ago and I can't recall product numbers).

In the end I went for the Panasonic because none of my local HiFi dealers included any of the common brands such as Pioneer, Panasonic or Sony, which was making comparisons impossible.

The RV60 won a EISA award this year and was well rated in the mags. I expect to replace it with something else eventually once DVD-Audio settles down, so I decided I was happy to not have a demo.

Personally I'd now love to try out a Sony something something 9000 vs a Pioneer 737 vs Sony ???-7700 (I think the numbers are), but that's some way off yet.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

3. Colonial Marine

Colonial Marine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recommend the Panasonic RV60 as well.

I replaced my Phillips 730 player with the Panny about a month ago. The picture is a great deal sharper & clearer and the sound is crisp & clean.

Great Player.

------------------
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.....it's the only way to be sure.

4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Kels

As the above post suggests, I too would be worried as to why the original seller is not willing to take it back. What happened it exactly and is the player still under guarantee? Did you contact Hitachi themselves?

5. kels

kels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVD player was actually bought as a present for me. After I realized that it didn't play region 1 I tried to take it back but because it had been open they said no - technically they would have to sell it as 2nd hand, what a load of ???????

E-mailed Hitachi and told them that I was disappointed that their latest DVD player wasn't of equal or of better quality than their last. Didn't put it as nicely as that though, probably why I haven't heard back from them.

Anyway check http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?search for=505

All about the Hitachi P505E

Kels

6. kels

kels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry forgot the dash. Try http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?search_for=505

7. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kels, where did you buy the Hitachi from? and why wouldn't they take it back? (whats the problem with it)

8. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kels

Correct me if I'am wrong, But you said that you tried take it back because it wouldn't play R1. But isn't it a R2 player.

If so then its not supposed to play R1!(unless it has had a mod)

Therefore the retailer is within his rights not to take it back.(unless it has a fault)

9. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 505 does have a fault it produces rubbish picture quality. I would of showed him how bad it looks (Take in an R2 disc).

I would reccomend either a Sony 735 (filled with features) or even better an LG 3350 -

* Very good sound and picture quality
    * Can play MP3 CD's (Officialy)
    * Has 2 Scarts and 5.1 Outputs
    * Only £230 (From www.techtronics.com)
    * Mult-Region from the above place (R1, R2 etc...)
    * No problems with RCE Discs.

Here is a review -
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/DVDPlayers/LG/LGDVD-3350E.shtml

I hope this helps.