1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions please, which one?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Alan A, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to go from my Philips 32 Widescreen CRT to a 42" wall mounted plasma HD ready for the SKY broadcasts next year. I normally run a set into the ground before changing it :)

I have looked at some plasmas and seem to be down to a couple of units,
    1) The Panny TH42PV500WAL
    2) The Pioneer PDP435XDE
    3) The Hitachi 42PD7200

I like the fact the Hitachi has both HDMI and DVi connectors, as whilst my Denon DVD player at the moment is component video, looking forward, with the HDMi taken up by the sKY box and then wanting the same quality from my DVD player, it allows me to do this

The Pioneer seemd to be poor in both analogue SKY pictures and analogue terrestrial pictures, where the panny looked better. (whilst I want the plasma for DVD and New SKY pictures, as many of us know, when the bad weather comes through, sometimes you can only get terrestrial signals)

The Panny looked good, but I habe read (What home Cinema) that its not a "real" 16:9 but a 4:3 stretched. Also, the complaints on this forum of lines, buzzing and contrast do concern me a little.

What are peoples actual living with these plasma's like? and is there another set I should be investigating? I really do not want to spend over £2,500

many thanks in advance :smashin:

2. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3 you mention.

I have a 42PV500CAB and I'm over the moon with it, can't see any lines running across the screen,I've noticed the auto-contrast a few times but It's not a concern,I'd even say I quite like the feature.The set buzzes but so does every other plasma/100hz crt TV.The picture the PV500 produces is stunning and Sky/DVB looks superb.

I considered the Pioneer XDE and Hitachi PD7200 but IMO the Pioneer is overpriced for what you get, also I don't like the idea of a seperate Media Box.I seriously considered the PD7200 but was slightly put off by after sales/reliability complaints and I don't think it looks as nice as the panny.

So I opted fot the panny,got it with the cabinet for £2200 and it looks beautiful in the living room, the PQ is ace and even the Wife likes it which is really saying something !!

3. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I've just spent several weeks deciding on these 2 too (panny and hitachi). And have finally opted for the hitachi because the speakers come off and it's slightly narrower for wall mounting purposes. I liked both sets but this was a deciding factor for me in the end. Also had a chat with a salesman from a well known company, who said they don't do pana anymore cause off there problems with large quantities of faulty returns. Ofcourse people have said the same about hitachi, it just depends who you speak to and what day it is when your fault occurs :(

So, basically what i'm saying is, sometimes, it's the smaller things that make the decision easier.. cause without them i'd still not know which to get now...

4. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Clarky, who is this well known Company who don't sell panasonic plasma's ?, Sounds like commerical suicide to me.

5. DannyLizard

DannyLizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think anyone would be dissapointed with any of those three plasma's.

I opted for the Hitachi a week ago and I've been super impressed with the pq :)

6. bazlion

bazlion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Danny/or anyone

What is the PQ on SKY, I mainly watch Sport, Football in particular, and I like Wildlife programs and the occasional film. I do not have a DVD, but obviously the PQ would be excellent.

7. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just been to see the Pioneer in a Hi Fi shop running a feed from the 1080 sattelite channel....

WOW!!! what an incredable picture!! in 1080 HD The Pioneer was the third on my wish list, now I am totally confused.

Now all I need to find is somewhare showing the 1080 on the other two screens...

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    The Panasonic can display 50Hz at 50Hz, not sure what the others do but I think they frame rate convert which can cause judder, this is fine on most material, execpt sport where it is really annoying.

I think the Pioneer converts 50 to 75 and the Hitachi looks like it converts 50 to 60Hz as it juddered quite badly when I saw it, however I don't know someone will have to step in, it could have just been some processing not turned off in the menu?

But if you are buying it for sport I would give the Pioneer a miss, and find out about the Hitachi.

9. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,386
    According to the manual the the hitachi displays 50hz at 50hz now ,unlike the older model .
    I have the hitachi screen and im very happy ,you get loads of connections and it gives an excellent pic with good sources .
    You could wait a while for the new pioneer models ,i was originally going to buy the pioneer 435 xde, but hitachi released the 7200 and i plumped for that instead .

The overall build quality is excellent ,the remote works well and is easy to read.

10. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gather that the Hitatchi and Fujitsu screens come out of the same plant?

How is the panny for sports?

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    The Panny is superb with sports, I had a pw6, then changed to a 435xde and didn't like it for sports at all, with dvd it was excellent, but I watch a lot of sport and it really was a let down, so I got rid of it and got another panasonic.

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    "I am looking to go from my Philips 32 Widescreen CRT to a 42"

I did the same last year but got the black panasonic PWD6, totally happy with it and sky & no buzzing at all (using a JS to VGA box), great for dvd and great for US tv series on divx. Can't stand looking at the Philips any more (in another room) the panny is tops. Wildlife docos look brilliant!
    Can't comment on the HD version though.

13. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, can I say a big thank you to all that gave me advice on this purchase.
    I have made my decision and paid out the vast sum, and will now wait with bated breath for the delivery and fitting next Friday.

in the end and it was a close call, I went for the Pioneer 435XDE, with Air speakers and wall mount plus fitting to the wall, and connection of Hi Fi system for the all in price of £2,600.

The final lean to the Pioneer was the ability to get to the connectors and not to have wires dangling/in a place where the Little 'un could get his hands on them for the laptop connection.

I could have waited for the 436, but I will give the 436 a miss and probably eitrher go for the 437 or 438. The 435 gives me HD connections and in three years time or more will be when I will be ready to change next

Once again, many thanks to all who inputted. :hiya:

Oh PS, now to order the Hi fi stand :D