1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions please - RU980 - TSU7000 or HTM mx3000?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by brdee, Feb 9, 2005.

1. brdee

brdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Firstly - I like many of you are on the hunt for a good programmable remote, but I am some what nervous about shelling out large sums of hard-earned dosh to find that the goods don't come up to expectation....

...so, this is why its so imortant to get feeback from you guys out there and hopefully I can avoid another expensive mistake!

I bought a top range pronto (can't remember what version) about 2 years ago, but found that the PC software was absolutely pants and I had so many installation issues, and Philips were absolutely disinterested - I ended up throwing the damn thing in the bin - yes over 300 quids worth! :eek:

Unless things have dramatically changed I am obviously a little worried about going this route - but I have to say - I like what I see in the 980/TSU7000 models.

Secondly - having cruised eBay I have found a UK dealer that says that the US version(TSU) is better (something about the extender option), and he is willing to provide full UK warranty, and a UK plug.... :rolleyes:

What are the real differences? - will the US version work with all my Uk standard AV equipment? (meridian G98 - panasonic DVD writer - Pioneer XDE 43" - Pioneer AV amp, Sky +)

Thirdly - I have read lots of good things about the Home Theatre Master MX3000, and since the price is not a million miles away from the Pronto RU980-NG, and it appears to have better PC software, although there doesn't seem to be many real reviews -

any one out there either done a comparison or has one and is willing to comment in depth on it?

I await your comments, oh wise ones! :lesson:

2. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I can't fault the 980 which I picked up a few weeks ago.Check out my thread a few posts below to see how I have found it. I had a few issues with getting windows XP to 'see' the remote but once that was solved I've had no problems, its not crashed or anything.

Anyway, read up on my thread to get the full rundown. Good luck whatever you go for :)

Oh and as far as I know the only difference between the 7000 and the 980 is the RF extender uses a different frequency or something. The thing that stopped me going for the 7000 was the worry that if something breaks you need to ship it back to the states which puts the cost of ownership up. Plus if you get hit with customs when you buy it its not going to be much cheaper than getting the UK model (£540 at nexnix).

Be careful with the eBay thing, personally I'd never buy anything electrical of high value from it, especially from a 'dealer' that says the US version is better when really its not as far as I can tell (I am happy to be proved wrong though), maybe he is saying that because he can't source uk models, and if not why not...?!

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    From what I found looking to buy either the RU980 and the TSU7000 I would summarise as follows:

a) the RF freq is differnet on UK and US models based upon standards in each country - this means that if you want RF you need to buy the RF extender module that matches the remote. For the TSU7000 this is the RFX6000 unit. If you are being 100% strict you could claim that the device isnt CE registered and uses a non standard RF freq for UK usage - both of which don't actually seem to cause any problems in practise from what other owners have said...

b) the built in IR codebase is biased for american devices on the TSU7000. I guess this just means that you cant use the built in IR codes and will have to learn them yourself of download them from other peoples config files. To be honest though I setup my RU940 using learnt and downloaded codes and never needed built in codes, so I guess this is no an issue at all...

c) the docking station with the TSU7000 comes with a US plug. Athough you can replace this with a maplins 12v 500mA power adpater or used an older pronto docking station power plug. Or buy a voltage converter for the existing US plug, but this seems silly when you can just get a generic UK power supply.

There is no reason why the TSU7000 is better - they are essentially exactly the same as above. I eventually bought a 2nd hand TSU7000 from these forums - the going rate is about £425 inc the RF extender.

As for software, I have only been using ProntoProEditNG for a little while on XP and it seems pretty stable. I have had no USB problems at all and the remote was recognised by Windows with no fuss. I have uploaded and downloaded quite a few configs and managed a firmware upgrade without a hitch. I had a RU940 before this and to be honest never really had a problem with the old ProntoEdit. Just make sure the device is at the latest firmware and ProntoEdit is at the latest build, this is a good start...

I love the TSU7000, it is a little bit bigger than my old RU940, but the screen is sooo much better and I really wanted hard keys for up, down, left, right menus. Pressing buttons for these onscreen for something like DVD menus is really painful as you have to look at the LCD to ensure you have your finger on the button. These extra hard buttons and the better screen are the key things which made me upgrade my much loved RU940. The remote is also slightly lighter and thinner, which is nice...

I have yet to live with it for a while yet, but first impressions are looking very good :thumbsup:

Maybe 2nd hand is your best option - that way if you dont like it you can resell on and probs only lose a few quid. Anothe alternative is a US seller called pcseller.com who do refurb units (without RF extender) for about £320 + shipping (athough you may get caught by customs even if they put "gift" on the box, unlikely from feedback, but possible)

HTH

Cheers

JJ

4. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Its amazing just how much more user friendly the remote is to operate thanks to these buttons isn't it! Especially in the dark!!

5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Just a suggestion, though it may not be high end enough.

Have you looked at the new Harmony 880?

The colour display is user customisable and if it's like its lesser brothers, it will be extremely powerful allowing complex setups after a bit of programming.

Like I said at the start, it may not be high end enough, but it should have no problem controlling your setup.

6. homethx

homethx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I got my uk ru 980 from ebay paid £450 brand new in a sealed box, All you have to do is look at feed back thats all .

7. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Oh I don't doubt there are some genuine sellers out there, but a UK dealer selling US stock, to me at least, would ring alarm bells :)

8. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Can you PM me the eBay's guy details please?