1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions Please - Panasonic TX-32PD30

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by s4mur4i, Jun 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. s4mur4i

s4mur4i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was almost convinced to buy the Panasonic TX-32PD30 (maybe 36" model) however I've read posts on here where people seem to be unimpressed with this Set listing numerous problems.

So

Is the PD30 really that bad?
    Does anyone own one that is happy with it?
    What Set would you recommend instead of this (32"-36")?
    Have Panasonic addressed any of the issues or were they none issues?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any TV today that is "good"?

Seems all of them have their faults....

3. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes! It seems that we all have to accept the fact that we are going to buy a TV that isn't perfect, it's just deciding which 'flaws' to put up with.
    I've had a PD30 and was very 'un -impressed' by it. The picture was totally crap. I am glad to see the back of that TV and am now waiting for the release of the JVC HV-32D40 as it is looking to be a very good TV. No doubt it won't be, but it'd have to try bloody hard to be as crap as my PD30.
    If I had the time, I'd draw up a shortlist and take my DVD player down to Currys/Comet/Dixons etc.... and have them rig it up RGB wise to my selection of TV's, choose one then go away and order it mail-order. It's the only way to buy a TV that you're happy with.

4. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uzey M8,

Having now tried at least 5 different manufactures, I even had 3 different PD30's, I would recommend you have a look at the new Philips P+2 32PW9509. For a 32" TV I don't think you really need component inputs as using this Philips in S-Video mode displays the best picture I've seen from a DVD player. Sky on RGB is very clean and sharp and even terrestrial is not bad if the output is good in the first place. It may not be your cup of tea but its worth adding to the list.

Bazza

5. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had two of these. The picture via Component was fantastic, probably the best I have ever seen. But anything via RGB was terrible. Massive interference no matter what I tried, Xbox PS2 DVD all crap.

I sent them both back and I am now waiting for the new JVC.

Panasonic really need to sort themselves out !!!!!.

6. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll look into that Bazzae. Thanks.
    To be perfectly honest, I struggled to tell the difference between progressive and interlaced whilst I had the PD30 except that interlaced had more intense colours.
    Is PixelPlus 2 really as good as they say?

7. paul710

paul710
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my TX36PD30 for 6 months now and I am very pleased with it. Seems that I have been lucky to get a good one - but I had to go into the service menu to fix a few faults - geometry, overscan and the position of the picture all needed adjusting. I've also found using the DVE disc helpful in tweaking the brightness, colour etc. After doing all this I think it's the best picture of any CRT I've seen.

8. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, I think if I was a retailer experiencing a high percentage of returns and unhappy customers I would choose not to stock it.

There is still a lot of fog clouding this issue as I've just been told by JL that they did not receive a planned delivery this week and are now chasing Panasonic, they also told me they have a large number of customer ourtanding orders.

9. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I've had my PD30 (one of the 36"s) for about 12 months. I'm not happy with the quality of the RGB input (its very poor, s-video is clearly better on this set), but I am more than happy with the component input - the image quality (at least to my eyes) is much better than any other CRT I've seen.

Obviously I had to tweak the setup of the set using dvd essentials - took me about 3 hours, but if you are spending that kind of money on anything you should be spending some quality time getting it setup correctly.

Basicly the decision to buy this set should be based on the input mode of your sources - don't forget that you can get a high quality RGB scart to YUV component convertor for about 120 quid - this fixes my Sky+ viewing problems nicely.

Finaly, its worth noting that all sets have some issue or other, there is no such thing as a perfect set.

10. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I totally agree with everything Paul710 has said.

(If you change 6 months into 3 months, I could have written that myself!)

If you go for one of these sets, hope you're one of the lucky ones.