Question Opinions please/Now it hums

Trojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of a sub upgrade and have narrowed it down to either the SVS SB 1000 or the BKXL400.
Room is roughly 5x4 metres and I live in a terraced house.
The sub will bo only used for movies.
Not too clued up on subs so would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Last edited:
Those are sealed subs, better with music. I would go with ported model for movies. If you can stretch it a little, call Jag and book a demo for listening these. I think you won`t be disappointed with XTZ. Lot´s of great reviews and very happy owners. Remember that there comes mask to the front, so wife will accept it easier too. 3 colours to choose from. Eq options, port bungs etc. Very tweakable for your room.

The 10.17 (10" driver) will have 500w RMS amp too and will dig down to 20hz, where you wan`t the sub play with movies.

XTZ 10.17 Subwoofer
XTZ 12.17 Subwoofer

Decided to go with the BK XL400. Bought a B grade one from eBay from a seller who is linked to BK. Came with 2 year warranty
in satin black.
Weird thing is that i have the box sitting in the hall and the boss hasn't asked what it is:thumbsdow. Maybe she can't be bothered anymore.

Well I set up the sub and it's humming.
Power plug into its own socket. Tried numerous cables which are not touching any other cable but still humming.
Even hums when the cable from the receiver is plugged out.
Real shame as it's a good looking sub but I can't believe that they can't hear the hum when they do the quality checks before it leaves the factory.

Sounds like (pun intended) it might be picking up RF interference...

Sounds like (pun intended) it might be picking up RF interference...
I'm sitting here sweating as I've plugged the sub into almost every socket in the house but the hum remains.
Plugged my old Kef 2010 in and not a sound so if I was having interference then I would expect to hear it as well on the much cheaper sub.

Not necessarily could be a shielding problem in the amp itself or one of the input sockets....

Not necessarily could be a shielding problem in the amp itself or one of the input sockets....
It's going back. I'm not having a subwoofer that hums like that while the cheap nasty one didn't. If we start down the road of blaming everything else then there is no end. Move house or rewire house? Get rid of av receiver and buy another one and cross my fingers when I plug it in?
I know the above are joking extremes but these days you should be able to buy a subwoofer, plug it in at it works and not have to turn into Sherlock Holmes to figure out what else could be causing the hum. I deduce that it's the sub. ;)

Spoke to the vendor and he is sending me out a mains power lead with a filter incorporated which will get rid of the hum.
First time I've had a decent subwoofer and what a difference it makes, wish I'd done it sooner.

Still doesn't sound very well designed to me....

...you'll be hearing Taxi's on it next... :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom