Opinions please (New Seperates)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by neil2k, Mar 28, 2006.

1. neil2k

neil2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just ordered some Kef IQ5's and I am also buying a new set up to go with them.
    Finances are flexible but the criteria is an Amp, Cd player and turntable.

I am fairly certain I am going to buy a Project Debut 3 turntable but haven't decided on the others.
    I have been looking at Nad C352 amp and Nad C542 cd which sound good but am tempted by the Rotel Ra-03 and Audiolab 8000cd as well.
    I know opinions mean nothing and you should buy what you like the sound of but would just like to know peoples opinions as I might be missing something.

2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    When you say "sound good", do you mean you've listened to them, or that they've been well reviewed?
    Frankly, ignore the reviewers and go LISTEN to a variety of kit. For example, MF kit often gets great reviews, yet I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
    Not that it's bad kit, it's simply that different people have different tastes. Some people like MF kit, I don't. In your case, you need to find which manufacturer's sound presentation style you like.

3. cwilson

cwilson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't listen with your eye's, find a local dealer or two, and have a good listen to kit from (but not limited to) Arcam, Denon, Rega, Rotel, all with a different way of presenting the music. As a example, Rega P3 deck, Mira amp, amp apollo CD spinner.

4. neil2k

neil2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have indeed listened to the Nad kit and was impressed but do not have a lot of expertise/time when it comes to choosing a new system so I am using reviews as a starting point.
    Just wanted peoples opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of different peices of kit.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    KEF sound suits music like Rock very well, if thats your thing then give the Roksan Kandy amp a try, that has lots of power so can cope with nice loud presentations without the speakers suffering......

if you more in to Jazz or Classical mebbe stay with the smoother stuff like Arcam....

if Dance music is your thing then something like a Musical Fidelity amp wont disappoint, i actually use one of these for the quality it brings out in my GR10's with classical, but it works brilliantly with dance based stuff too......listening to Prodigys Out of Space is so much more exciting than any other time i've heard it....

best bet is to stick to auditioning mebbe 4 amps...otherwise you'll start to find you wont be happy with one because if oyu audition say 8, you are bound to find even tho you decide one is the best, it will still be bettered in one or two areas by another.....so you wont feel so happy with it all.......might sound daft but its true ;-)

i spent around 8 hours in the shop demo room on 3 amps when i was choosing mine....heh now thats being thorough.....
    (i had listened to a few others the week before as well more as a by the by thing for a couple hours.....and none of them did it for me....but they were in the cheaper price range and i decided spending more reaped a better reward with my speakers)

6. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I use NAD kit myself and am very pleased with it. Howerver, as others have said, it's best to audition a few amps and CDPs and vote with your ears.