1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on Yamaha rxv-440rds.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gingerone, Jun 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I'm thinking of upgrading from my pioneer vsx-300c to the above amp. Anyone heard any reviews or actually listened to it?

2. bob69

bob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Latest What Hifi? gave it 5* and called it breath-taking!

3. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    That'll do for me! I'll go and demo it and see what I think.

4. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what hi-fi magazines latest issue (july issue) have a review of that amp

5. kilobulb

kilobulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    anyone know how this compares to the marantz 4300?
    also is the yamaha actually in stock anywhere? qed say they are not expecting stock until until july/august

6. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    apparently the marants is beter for music but the yamaha is better for movies.

7. arkaig

arkaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the Yamaha HTR5550? This seems to be the big bruvver of the 430? Richer do it for £219.

Arkaig

8. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The HTR5550 is the RXV530RDS finished in silver (titanium)

i.e. The older brother of the current 540RDS.

Gets confusing don't it!

Big A

9. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Well I've ordered the htr-5640 which is the silver version of the 440rds from unbeatable.
    I'll let you know how I get on with it.

10. tmurphy

tmurphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Just bought and setup it's bigger brother, the RXV740. Bascially the same elcetronics in the box, but its a bit more powerful and has S-Video switching and an on-screen display.

The performance is outstanding :clap: Now I know pound for pound it could get hammered into the ground by a £2000 unit but for the £400 odd quid it cost me I don' think you can get better.

It is worth taking time to set the bugger up for optimal settings, but the finished output is great.

The only critisism I could make is that there are only binding posts on the speaker connections, the red and black thumb screws/nuts have no removable plug for banana connectors, but this was solved with a quick trip to Maplins!

I basically bought this amp from the review (in What Home Cinema i think) of the 440.

Money well spent.

They even had it hooked upto a set of Kef Eggs when I went to demo it, which i had just bought about 4 hours earlier. Can't get better than that.

Tony

11. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What banana plug adapter did you buy from Maplins?

I'd like to BP my 430.

Thanks

Big A

12. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Guys re using banana plugs - some of the new Yamaha amps don't appear to have the black removable plugs covering their 4mm banana sockets, and the red & black speaker terminal screw caps have a hole but it is smaller than 4mm.

I have just received my HTR 5640 & although I haven't yet done it, I think that you can use a screwdriver to careful push & twist through the screw cap tops to widen the existing hole so that banana plugs CAN then be used. Thus Yamaha comply with EU/UK safety legislation, but owners can use banana plugs if they choose to. According to What Hi-Fi review "the RX-V440 uses decent binding-post speaker terminals that can take banana plugs".

I haven't yet done it just in case I discover any problems with my new receiver & have to return it to Unbeatable.

PS I bought a load of Shark short 4mm gold banana plugs from Maplins ready for when I pluck the courage up.

AJP

13. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question for Tmurphy.
    Have you got the OSD working and will it work with just an svideo cable or do you need a component cable as well. IMO The manual is a bit confusing on this.
    Re: Banana plugs - You can insert Banana plugs by either cutting slits in the centre of the screw connectors. The plugs then fit nice an tight.

14. tmurphy

tmurphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    i have had the OSD working on S-Video only, composite and component show nothing.

It's not really that good, just makes initial set up easier,. but I do use the video switching in the unit for my VCR, DVDR and Playstation 2.

Havn't tried the component thru the amp yet, my DVD is connect straight to my plasma.

15. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    ajp558 any chance you can let me know how you are getting on with it?
    While I'm here does anyone know of a place to buy spacers for separates?

16. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank Tmurphy. I'll go an buy an svideo cable now just to see whats going on with the OSD.
    What do you think of 740? I think its pretty good. Not bad with music and a great remote. Managed to get all my kit working through the remote, even the Set top box.

17. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Gingerone,

I am very pleased so far with my new HTR-5640 from Unbeatable, even though I have not yet set it finished setting it up (or my new speakers) properly.

I ordered it from Unbeatable on 19th June (after seeing it registered as "in stock" on their web site for a day or so. It then went out of stock with no sign of my delivery. I was a bit peeved as I had just cancelled my original order with QED as they were still showing as awaiting stock & I had no feed back from QED on how much longer it would take. After cancelling with QED, ordering from Unbeatable & seeing it go out of stock there, I looked & saw QED then had stock for a couple of days (may have been my original order!).

Anyway, after no update to my Unbeatable order (which stayed as "processing complete" a few hours after I placed the order, it arrived out of the blue around midday on 25th June, so I went straight down to Maplins to get banana plugs, 100m of speaker cable, etc. So hopefully you won't have to wait much longer for yours. I do wonder if the silver HTR-5640 is a tad less popular than the black RX-V440 which seems to feature more in the press, and hence the supply of HTR-5640 is not so bad.

At the moment I have my Netgem I-player digi box connected via optical & my Kiiro 838d DVD player connected via digital coax, and use analogue inputs for the VCR. I have to say that digi TV (including the radio stations) & the DVD sound stunning. I had to re-allocate the optical & coax sockets to these devices & this was easy to do with the fairly friendly user-interface on the receiver. Shame there aren't more digi sockets but the Marantz 4300 was ruled out by the wife on looks. Silver was a must if she was to put up with the size of the unit - she wanted something slim & svelte. Another plus point over the 4300 is the A & B speaker sets - we are using B to drive a couple of extra speakers for the dining room. Playing A & B together will be good for parties.

The built in tuner also needs some setting up as the default scan (connected via FM aerial in the loft) picked up 40 or so stations but only in the lower end of the scale up to Kiss FM at 100Hz as many are duplicates & weak signals. So I need to work out what I want & manually allocate them to presets.

I am no audiophile (sadly neither the ears nor the funds) but did want Pro Logic II & DTS Neo:6 to make full use of at least 5 speakers. I understand why most people want their stereo sources played through just the fronts, but I am now a big fan of PLII & Neo:6, just my personal preference.

Compared to my old standard Pro Logic midi "hi fi" the sound difference is amazing & well worth it. That is after only going through the basic setup routine. The wife has just given agreement to add a 6th, rear-centre speaker, so I can't yet comment on how that will sound yet.

I am busy ripping up carpet, cutting holes in plasterboard walls & feeding speaker cable everywhere at the moment (wife detests visible cable) so only when that is complete & speakers wall-mounted will I do the complete sound setup on the amp. I wish I could find somewhere to hire a sound meter (can't see why Maplins don't hire them out at a fiver a day, they'd pay for themselves within no time & it would be pure profit after that) so initially I'll be using my hearing with the test tones.

Another nice plus is that the remote control can operate both my TV & VCR by inputing a couple of codes. Sadly it doesn't operate my DVD or digi box. I have a One For All 6 with JP1 cable so will eventually need to spend some time getting this to work with the DVD player, digi box & the HTR-5640.

I haven't yet tried the Hi-Fi or Cinema DSP programs, or the Silent Cinema (through headphones), there is just so much to play with that getting everything just right for me will take quite some time.

I will be pleased when it is all finally completely setup as there are quite a few DVDs I have been holding off watching as I wanted to get the 6.1 setup in place first. Can't wait.

Good luck with yours,
    Regards,
    AJP.

18. juan9999

juan9999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do people think of 6 channel surround? Can you hook up a 5 speaker system to it (the manual doesnt recommend) and how does that sound?

Also, Has anyone used yamaha component video inputs for RGB PLUS sync switching? I need to hook it up to my plasma and need the 3 RBG phonos PLUS one phono for CV Sync see(http://www.alecspence.co.uk/plasma/)

19. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Cheers ajp558, mine should be here in the morning(just got off the phone with unbeatable).

20. juan9999

juan9999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know who has it in stock now? Checked unbeatable, AV, Richer sounds, ... but haven't found anyone who has it in stock...

Thanks!