1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on xmtlv based pvr frontends please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dunkwho, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Anyone had success with an xmltv guide based PVR? I've taken a look at MCE05, OK, but didn't seem to gel with me. I thought I'd try showshifter\beyondtv\sagetv but all 3 need xmltv feeds for the guide, and I've got no idea how reliable they are for series links etc. I'm looking to replace the tivo with a dual dvb pvr with decent epg (tivo has been fine for me so far - touch wood - season pass setup & forget).

Grateful for any UK view on this.

Duncan

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just started playing with MediaPortal, freeware MCE clone which uses xmltv. Just playing right now as it's not to replace my Tivo (yet) as I don't have the hardware to test recording (Hauppauge DEC2000) based on XML.

3. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I replaced Tivo with a SageTV box, and it has it`s advantages and disadvatages. The guide info is not quite as good as Tivo, but the main problem is it will record too many episodes of a program, not too few. The intelligent recording in Sage also seems a bit wayward. However, the benefits of sage are worth it IMHO. Commercial skipping is great, if a little hit and miss at the moment. Streaming of Sage recordings and live TV to other rooms using Wifi is great. Numerous different front ends is good. The main problem with Sage is that it can be a little fickle with hardware, some people get lockups with certain hardware combinations.

4. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi, I've just started using GB-PVR which is free and seems to work fine if you have the right HW, I'm using it with a Nova-T on Freeview and its worked OK so far.

Also there is Meedio but the TV side is still in beta, I've also used GAM which has just gone commercial but that doesn't support BDA cards yet.

HTH.