Opinions on what to buy?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by wiffle, Dec 28, 2011.

1. wiffle

wiffle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello fellow AV heads :hiya:

I'm in the market to buy my first dedicated media streamer and haven't got the foggiest what to get. I need it to be able to browse and watch media from my 2TB WD Mybookworld (white light version) and play streaming media from specifically iPlayer if it does 4OD, ITV CH5 ect that would be a bonus. Although it would be nice to have WiFi built in but I have the ability to hard wire if necessary. I don't play much HD content as most of my movies are ripped to xvid but a hdmi connection would be nice however again not a must have.

My budget is roughly max of £150. The players that have caught my eye are the Sony SMP-N100/200 (I have a Sony Bravia 46" TV), the WD TV Live with modded firmware or the Apple TV with XBMC. I currently use a Asus eee pc with wireless keyboard and mouse running XBMC and while this does the job I would like to reassign the Asus to another role.

So guys and gals what's your advice, what's hot and what's not?

Many Thanks

Wiffle

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,055
    The Sony boxes only work with a DLNA server and preferably a transcoding capable one something your NAS DLNA server isn't capable of, it should play the avi files but other media may not fair so well.

The WDTV Live would do fine as a basic player but it has no UK online video portals, it is possible to stream some iPlayer listings through DLNA using Serviio but that requires a NAS or PC that runs Serviio. A WD My Book can run Serviio but it is a lot of work to get going.

The ATV2 running XBMC will also work, you can get iPlayer support through an unofficial plugin and one or two others like 4oD I think. As your media is low res XviD files they shouldn't be a problem for the ATV2 CPU, it only has hardware acceleration for H.264 video and everything else goes to the CPU. ATV2/XBMC can have wireless buffering issues, your files may be fine but if you encounter it use NFS or AFP if your NAS supports those instead of SMB.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  3. wiffle

wiffle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply next010, I do like the look of the Sony and its main use will be for iPlayer so the missus can soap herself to death (sounds kinky) the rest of the features I stated would be a added bonus. I've already added a few extra features to my WD MBW using optware such as transmission and media tomb but I don't want to tweak it much more (if it ain't broken don't fix it). I'm not totally anti Apple (with 500+ Apple devices to administer at work I have little choice) but the ATV2 would be at the bottom of my list.

There must be a hidden gem of a media player out there, even if it's not my one of the main players on the market. I've looked at a few of the Eastern manufacturers such as Sumvison and they look like great cheap and cheerful media players but most lack in the online streaming capabilities that the aforementioned soapy wife has requested!

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,055
    Well Boxee Box would be next on the list, Boxee is a spin-off from XBMC so it has same quick access to network shares that XBMC does and same level of media support. It is also quite easy to use more family friendly then most other players.

Boxee has apps which act as portals to online sites, it has iPlayer and a few others but not all the Uk catch up services.