1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on what I am purchasing

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Steviefull, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Steviefull

Steviefull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starting a little film room and will probably plump for the following, but need peopls input.
    Themescene H30a projector
    Denon dht 500 sd, dvd player and surround sound

Obviously i need screens and other bits and pieces, but with this can i expect a damn fine display about 6'0" wide?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Can't comment on the player but the H30a seems to have been well received and other Optoma machines like the H56 and H77 are also well regarded .. the latter especially by me. ;)

Not knowing how much research you've done, are you aware of the 'rainbow' effect DLP projectors can cause? The general advice is always to demo before buying .. I'm on my 4th projector and never demoed so I don't tend to join in that mantra :blush: .. but unless you're in a position to learn by mistakes it is a good piece of advice.

3. Steviefull

Steviefull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm looks like ill be taking a trip to Birmingham or Worcester then i believe

Doh, why are things never simple

4. Steviefull

Steviefull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is rainbowing to do with the dvd or the projector or incompatability between the two.

Anyone got a link to where i can read more about it

5. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The biggest cause of rainbows is the colour wheel set up, it doesn't have any thing to do with the DVD player or any other peripherals.

Basically DLP technology works on a reflective technology. Light from the lamp is directed towards a chip that has tiny mirrors. These switch on an off and give you a 256 grey scale. The light is directed towards a colour wheel which adds the colour to the grey scale giving you a massive colour badwidth.

On most home cinema projectors the colour wheel should ideally have 6 segments and spin at 4 speed or higher. The more segments you have and the faster the speed of the wheel, you are less likely to notice rainbows. Rainbows on DLP projectors are intermitent flashes of light that only appear where there are areas of high contrast against areas of low contrast e.g. white areas next to black areas.

The H30A has a 6 segment 4 speed colour wheel so the rainbow effect would be greatly reduced with this set up. The speed at which the human processes optical signals also has as small amount to play (there are a few scientific journals using subjects to support this), and it effects about 1 in 10 to the extreme.

The best thing to do is source a demo of the machine.

If you are interested in a demo, PM me and let me know where you are based!