Question Opinions on upgrading my speakers to these?

Waynester

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a 5.1 setup consisting of the following

1 x Denon AVRX2200W Amp
4 x Q Acoustics 3010 on their proper ST stands
1 x Q Acoustic 3070S Sub
1 x Q Acoustic 3090C Centre Speaker
1 x Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature CD Player

all using decent quality cables

I’m pleased with my setup pretty much
Sounds okay watching movies

I’m very disappointed when listening to Music on CD and want some NEW floor standing speakers (must be in White)

my current setup just lacks a FULL big sound with Music, I don’t have the money to upgrade my Denon amp and maximum budget for speakers is £400

I was thinking of the Monitor Audio Bronze 5?

The Bronze 5’s Gotta be a bigger and better sound using these or similar with my Denon AV amp surely? I may even consider some second hand speakers, the Q Acoustics 3010 are rubbish for Music definitely

My living room is 13ft deep by 16ft wide

Attachments

• F06D8710-9B9C-4611-A07F-AC1A7410DC5F.jpeg
    F06D8710-9B9C-4611-A07F-AC1A7410DC5F.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 52
Q acoustic speakers are great speakers however they are little speakers so will have drawbacks due to that design.

I'd spend more than £400 on floorstanders tbh, you need to increase your budget, unless you buy second hand.

Also probably look at a better sub also.

Can’t afford more than £400 for speakers and cannot afford to get a new sub.. hence my post stating that 😊

I would look for softer sounding, easy to drive speakers. 8ohm and 91db sensitivity

Means more efficient than the q acoustics so louder for a given watt.

£400 for second hand floorstanders should get you something decent.

It's not your speakers that are letting you down with music from the Marantz it's the Denon. No matter what speakers you throw at it stereo music is always going to be a let down. That beautiful Marantz player deserves a stereo amp to get the best out of it. You may get a marginal improvement in audio with better speakers but don't expect a leap in quality. I have a high end Denon and I still dislike it's stereo performance.

A stereo amp and speaker switcher such as the Beresford 7220 would make a better investment music wise than different speakers.

Okay... what wattage amp would I need to run the Bronze 5’s? I’ll try and find a second hand one and use the Bronze 5’s with the Marantz only..

if any company makes an AVR amp, why the hell cant it do everything ? 🤬🤬

@Waynester get a pair of QA3050i if you can leave minium of 20cm space behind them, notice they are quite deep. They are miles better than 3010s, there is no doubt about that! I had the earlier version of those and they were anemic for music listening on their own. You can start saving for better amp after getting the speakers, those can be had for low price 2nd hand too..

PT has one grey pair from QA refurbished in A-grade mint condition with full warranty, 450£ pair so you save 100£! I hope you can stretch little or buy the pair with finance, won´t take more than few months to pay them fully then. It would be silly to buy other brand mains now as you have QA the rest of your system. Unless you would be looking to swap them too then. Atleast you are familiar with QA tone and you like them with movies so these should be safe pick.

Oh if you're using analogue out from the cdo, that's pointless as avr lack true analogue bypass, so analogue inputs are digitised, then converted back to analogue.

You might as well use the digital out

excuse me??

A AVR. They do everything but they make compromises.

Poor power amplifier stages compared to a dedicated amplfier (less power, less capacitor uf storage, small power supply, shared over many channels, processing, pre amplfier, scaling, room correction, and amplfiers.

All that crammed into one box. Less cooling, smaller heatsinks, hotter running.

Question!

looking at one of these to run my 2 new floorstanders, can I connect my Marantz CD Player into the LINE IN on this amp?
If so... that’ll solve my issue and I’ll just leave my current Q Acoustics speakers setup for movies?

If you do that your speakers will go bang. It'll be at 100% volume

Oh 😂 trouble is if I get that amp, there’s no way of connecting it to my current Denon as I can’t spot any connections on the back of it to connect a 2nd amp... I’ve decided on these Monitor Audio speakers anyway.. will get them and upgrade the AV receiver when my budget allows...
They are still gonna sound bigger sounding than my 2 front Q Acoustics 3010’s

You need a stereo integrated amplifier with HT bypass

Your Denon lacks left and right pre outs so you are stuck there.

What amp would you recommend ? Then I can switch between listening to music in stereo and movies in surround sound 5.1

You need a new AV amp say Denon 3600. Bit sure what new stereo integrated amps have HT bypass, I think arcam and Cambridge audio do

I’ve decided on these Monitor Audio speakers anyway.. will get them and upgrade the AV receiver when my budget allows...
They are still gonna sound bigger sounding than my 2 front Q Acoustics 3010’s

You want stronger bass response? Notice the Monitor range is cheaper than out going Bronze line. Sadly Bronze 6 is likely sold out, do check if you can find them in white ash. Exceptional shows that they have them, but they have the old price on site. Should be under 500£. This would be step up from Monitor 300.

You could also get for same money the new Bronze 200 floorstanders which are better than the Monitor 300, but if you crave that strong low end then Monitor 300 is likely more enjoyable.

Oh I didn’t realise MA Bronze 6 were better than the MA 300’s?? Yeah I’m looking for a bigger beefier sound with more bottom end

What amp would you recommend ? Then I can switch between listening to music in stereo and movies in surround sound 5.1
Use a speaker switcher, the Beresford 7220 is highly respected. You can use the same front speakers but keep the music and film sides completely separate. Link below.

Oh I didn’t realise MA Bronze 6 were better than the MA 300’s?? Yeah I’m looking for a bigger beefier sound with more bottom end

Yep it´s better higher range! They cost normally 699£/pair, but now as the new range is coming next month these are almost sold out. There is one walnut pair for silly low 419£/pair! I try to check out if i can find white pair.. These B6s seem to be sold out mostly.

3149623.jpg

Nice! Might have to look at those but wanted white lol!! Can’t see that Sevenoaks do finance?

Use a speaker switcher, the Beresford 7220 is highly respected. You can use the same front speakers but keep the music and film sides completely separate. Link below.

thanks mate..😃

what setup and how would you suggest using that speaker switcher?

did you mean get another separate amp and keep my existing Q Acoustics 3010’s? And how would I use my CD player with all that? I’m a bit lost with everyone's suggestions🤣

if you can write it out exactly I’ll probably end up buying it all next week 😃

White speakers are not a good idea for home cinema they will stick and and be distracting. Get a darker non reflective finish.

Nice! Might have to look at those but wanted white lol!! Can’t see that Sevenoaks do finance?

What was the issue with sticking with QA and picking white 3050i which is newer range than yours and has also larger dual 6,5" drivers. The cabinet size is even larger than in Bronze 6 and they should have strong bass from what i remember from reviews.. They also look damn good!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom