Opinions on Toshiba 51wh46 at Currys

I dont think they have component in, i looked in the shop, and if you download instructions no sign of component, but the main factor for me is a 51" tv for a grand , even if it isnt as good as the previous model still a bargain..
Also my father purchased the 42" a month or so ago and to be honest i was blown away by it...Its still a step up from a 32" samsung tv which cost me £700 3 years ago..

According to Toshiba's own web site it does have component input.

Here is the link. It is a pdf link.

http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/information.nsf/pages/all_products/$File/mini_brochure.pdf?openelement

Copy this into your browser and see for yourself.

Steve..

wildy said:
I , but the main factor for me is a 51" tv for a grand , even if it isnt as good as the previous model still a bargain
A further 7.5% can be discounted using code DCBYAW or if your an NHS employee use the NHS code.

well ive looked at the model in the shop no component , my dads hasnt got component, and the manual doesnt mention component, unless its behind a panel i havent really studied the set the set....I know power house sell the older model with component in 42" for £800.....Ive seen the set with standard rgb scart and it impressed me ..

Don't ask me what's going on there - the tosh brochure shows the 42 and 51WH46 then gives the specs for the WH36 series!!! Go to the website I posted in an earlier post and click on the owners manual - there is no mention of component video, active vision or progressive scan anywhere in it. Bizarre!

But I have seen the 42WH46 up close and personal - I wanted to know if they had developed the PJ format further. Sadly I was disappointed. It doesn't have component in or active vision with all the various scanning modes, particularly progressive. But it was not just this that I found disappointing - the picture quality was lacking as I described in my last post. This was no WH36 Mk II. In my opinion the WH46 series is a large step backwards. I doubt the 51" will be any different.

Wel, I have ordered it now and it will be delivered on Monday.

I have printed out and saved all info I can find on the web, so if it does not have progressive scan, active vision etc, then they can take it back as they will have misrepresented it and committed an offence under the trades descriptions act.

Steve..

Ive been thinking, (don't do it often, it hurts!)

To try and avoid any hasle, I am going to email Curry's and ask them direct if this tv is as advertised. I don't mind not having componant input, but I certainly want active vision etc.

If they have mis advertised it, then I will cancel the order and keep looking for what I want.

I will let you know how I get on.

Steve..

I bought a 51WH36 at the start of the year after finding this great forum, so firstly many thanks to all the old hands for posting such helpful advice. I love my telly and still get a huge grin watching movies, you can't beat projectors in terms of bang for buck - huge screen for comparitively little cash.

Picture quality is brilliant and as I don't watch telly standing up I have no problem with viewing angle. Convergence really is a minor, minor concern after using Demon's service menu convergence guide and if you've not done this yet, give it a go!

But, there are downsides...firstly, size. These RPTVs are big and if you don't have a big lounge/dedicated HC room you need to think carefully about where it's going to go. My lounge is about 4m x 5m, the telly fits but there's only one place it can go, and it's in the corner so not ideal for adding 5.1 speakers (which I'm currently planning). I'd have a similar problem with any other large screen (LCD, plasma etc), but the cabinet-style of the Tosh means any amp/dvd/games console has to go beside rather than under the screen.

I agree the the wh46 would seem to be a serious step backwards, with good quality scart leads I'd probably not miss component video but it's definitely worth having. I'd really miss the Active vision and without it would definitely not buy a Tosh. Every time I skip through the plain 100Hz option I'm reminded how good the active vision is for cleaning up the picture.

Some of the newer DLP RPTVs don't have the problem of the cabinet, they're also thinner so can be placed more easily. Throw in component connections, automatic convergence and I would definitely not buy a WH46 but spend a little extra on the competition. It's missing the best parts of the WH36 without adding anything better than the competition.

You can get a cabinet for £100 for these teles at currys...

You get one free when you buy the telly from Currys.

Steve..

Dog - man

As it stands, if you have all the info from the Internet then you have all the ammunition you need to return it if you want to because, as you rightly point out, they are mis-selling the product which is an offence under the trades description act. They cannot refuse you a full refund on those grounds alone and I'm sure they won't want yet another court case blasted across the media.

No active vision . for definate...trust me been messing with my dads tonight ...

nope didnt think there was.

It's a bog standard 100Hz TV with no frills at all.

Thats the trouble when people keep demanding cheaper TV sets. Nice on your wallet, but you will lose out in the long term on the features that matter.

And before anybody bangs on about the Samsung RPTV's having all these features, I looked at one that was much cheaper than my 51" when I bought an RPTV and the Tosh won hands down for picture quality. They may well have loads of features, but at what cost to what really matters - picture quality?

Nothing from currys yet.

If you are correct, and I tend to believe you, then I certainly do NOT want the television.

Steve...

Just had a pathetic reply to my email from Currys.

It is not an answer to my questions unless it is a cryptic way of confirming that the tv does not have the features advertised.

Reply from Currys>>>>>Dear Steve

Thankyou for your email regarding your order.

If you wish to cancel your order then do not hesitate to contact our aftersales team on 0870 333 1222 and they will be happy to help.<<<<<

I have emailed them back asking for an answer to my questions.

I have also emailed Toshiba for clarification.

Steve..

dog man please keep me updated on the currys situation as i am also interested in the same r/p tv

my tv is delivered tommorow, dont know what to do, what else can i get for a grand???

wildy said:
what else can i get for a grand???
Did you use the discount code ?

I had ordered before using this forum , but got a good deal a 5 year waranty £1100

I just don't believe this.

The same muppet from Currys has emailed me again and just repeated his original reply. This is despite me making it clear that I was not after a cancellation or the order unless it had been mis advertised.

Words fail me!

I can only assume from this response that the tv does not have the features and they are trying to avoid confirming it.

Now, do I cancel tomorrow morning or do I accept delivery on Monday and if it does not have the features advertised then return it?

A very angry Steve!!

:mad:

Well, that depends.

You will not get the component video connection, or the scanning options, but maybe you need to test drive the thing and see if it is OK for your needs. My problem is I've been spoilt and got possibly the best RPTV tosh ever made, so anything that represented a step backwards was going to disappoint me. What you may find is that for a grand you might have trouble beating what the WH46 has to offer. I simply don't know. What I would suggest is that, if you intend to cancel, try around and see if you can still get the WH36 - I have seen it around on websites but I'm not so sure they have any in stock. I warn you though it will cost about £2-300 more than the WH46 if you're able to find one, but in my opinion it's easily worth that for the very useful extra features and the absolutley stunning picture quality you get once you've set it up correctly, which I warn you takes time and patience.

dog-man said:
Now, do I cancel tomorrow morning or do I accept delivery on Monday and if it does not have the features advertised then return it?
Try again. Words of one syllable...DOES IT DO ???? ???? :)

I have just telephoned Currys and cancelled the television.

I am not prepared to put up with the hassle of returning it if it has indeed been mis sold.

If I discover that it does definately have the features listed, then I shall re-order.

Until then, I shall be looking for something else, maybe a Plasma?

I am sure that by the end of this month, we shall see lots of price reductions on the run up to Christmas.

Steve..

I was looking into a rear projection tv... but heard some nasty stories about burn in from the likes of skyone logos :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom