Opinions on this PC for a friend.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ocelot20, Mar 10, 2013.

1. ocelot20

ocelot20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Hello,

A friend of mine wants to buy a PC. This would be his first ever PC (laptop fan). He will pretty much be gaming on it.

Anyhow he is open to the idea of building him self. How ever if he could find a decent system pre built with warranty he would rather go with that.

So after looking on DinoPC.com (heard a few good things about them). I see that they offer a build your own service. So this is what I have chosen for him.

Asus M5A78L-M LX V2 Motherboard
    8gb DDR3 RAM
    AMD 8350 Black Edition
    1tb Hard drive
    AMD 7950
    Xigmatek Asgard Case
    650W Corsair VS
    3 Year SureCare Warranty
    No OS (he has a spare OS anyhow)

£607.22

I had a quick look at various sites to see how much it would cost to build him self and am getting around £595. So for the extra £15+ pound he gets warranty and the system built for him witch sounds pretty good.

Am a little unsure about the CPU. But I was watching the Tek Syndicate and they did a video of the 8350 v i5 3570l vs i7 3770k and the 8350 beat the i5 on all bench marks and the i7 barely beat the 8350 on most bench marks.

So please if you guys can let me know your opinions on this build it would be great. Also anyone used DinoPC before? What are they like.

I have been reading various reviews about them most of them are praising them where some of them give them a bad reviews due to there systems turning op DOA.

2. dacads

dacads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    For a gaming build I would go with Intel..

3770k is actually overall faster than the FX-8350..

Although I would go with the i5 3570k as 3770k isn't necessary.

If your friend builds himself there will still be warranty with all the parts of course, also they will be better quality he the right ones are chosen. For example the Dino PC spec you have listed doesn't have the best PSU, RAM or Motherboard

3. Bigian88

Bigian88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is his budget?

AMD will tend to beat Intel when it comes to APU performance (or graphics provided by the CPU). If he wants a good all rounder, there is nothing wrong with the AMD gear but if his budget will allow - I'd point him towards more towards and Intel CPU build with a decent dedicated GPU.

This is damn good for the money and comes pre-built - Gladiator GTX-3470 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core Next Day Gaming PC - Aria PC

4. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    System is good value, I would go i5 if it is the same price, the AMD might do well in some benchmarks but I doubt your friend will ever use those programs if he wants itforgaming

5. ocelot20

ocelot20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Thanks for the input. I think his budget is £600.

The best i5 I could put together for him on DinoPC is £595.

i5 3470
    8gb DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    DVD drive
    7950 3gb
    650w Corsair PSU
    Case
    3 year warranty.

The best AMD deal I can put together is £585.

AMD FX 8320 Black Edition
    8gb DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    DVD drive
    7950 3gb
    650w Corsair PSU
    Case
    3 year warranty.

Is the 7950 really worth £42 more than the 7870?

My friend will be using this PC on a TV via HDMI running games at 1080p.

6. RustySpoons

RustySpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Just a caveat here, the AMD FX Series are 125watt and idle around 70, an intel equivalent would pay for itself in electricity bills.

Pay the extra £20 and get a 3570/3570k for the CPU over the 3470.
    You don't need a 650Watt PSU as that will be inefficient, 400-500watt will be ample, so you can save another £20 here.

If you want i7 speeds at i5 price get a Xeon e3-1230v2, even lower power TDP.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  7. arbuz

arbuz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The optimal choice now is the 7870 Tahiti LE. You can get a VTX Black 7870 for around £170, and it is only a negligible amount slower than 7950. If you overclock the 7870 Black, it's nearly as fast as a 7970!

Either that, or wait for GTX 760.

8. ocelot20

ocelot20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I always watch the Tek Syndicate. I have seen these video's before hence why I went with the 8350. My friend went with the 8350. I bought my self a 8320 and overclocked it a little to 4ghz.

9. damanc

damanc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Problem with those specs is the PSU, RAM, case, Optical drive and hard disks are either not listed (no make and model) or if they are, they are poor.

Its all very well going for a system with a 3 year warranty but you want to avoid the inconvenience in the first place. Tell him to spend a little more and build a system himself with better quality parts or if he really wants one built by a pc builder then choose better parts. You get what you pay for :)