1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on these options please...

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by UrbanT, Jan 27, 2004.

1. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Just considering doing some tinkering with my system, spec in my sig.

I have been offered a Tag CDT20 transport with Tag Sync. I'm tempted to buy it to try it with my AV32R.

Does anyone have any opinions on what I should expect when compared to the CD23 connected via analogue cables?

Thoughts would be welcome.

:smashin:

2. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd never take it, but you're the one who has to make call here.
    Go and test it yourself. TAG is more on the bright side, Arcam more pleasent. But the differences are small.
    I have AV32RDP and DVD32R , but I prefer Arcam Alpha 9CD
    Taste is ...

3. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I presume you are using the bypass for the Arcam? If not, then technically, the CD20 should be better, although I doubt there'd be much in it. A case of 'different' rather than 'better'.

FWIW I prefer the sound from my Densen B400XS via the bypass, over my sync-linked DVD32R.

There are a few dealers who should be able to do you a demo of the CD20 (try Martin Kleiser) if you want to try before you buy.

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly!
    I am using both, CD9 into bypass without TMREQ and CD9 into digitized input with TMREQ. I can not say which is better.
    In my room TMREQ does not have such a big impact, (measurements showed this clearly) maybe that's why I still prefer Arcam

5. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Here's another idea, sell the Arcam and the Pioneer and try to pick up a DVD32/FLR 2nd hand - fewer boxes to please the wife and great sound and picture.

PS this may make you even more broke.

6. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hi UrbanT,
    I have got the Tag CDT20 hooked up to my AV32 SP and i think the work very well together.

I don't know about the new Arcam CDP's but prior to getting the CDT20 I had the Arcam Alpha 6 CDP and it was truly awful with the Tag.

As Plump said the Tag is on the 'bright side', but If thats how you like yer music then the Tag CDT20 is the one I'd choose.

Best of Luck

7. rsjt

rsjt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Urban T

I also have a CDT20 transport with the AV32R and it does sound very good. I used to have an Arcam Alpha 9 and would say the CDT20/AV32R has a more detailed sound than the alpha 9, but would agree with others that it's also brighter. Overall I don't think you'll notice a massive step up in sound quality from your CD23T. I've changed my CD front end several times since selling my alpha 9 (staying at the same sort of price point) and none has made a really massive difference to the sound to be perfectly honest. But that won't stop me tinkering in the future and of course the CDT20 will look good on the shelf with your AV32R.....

8. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Thanks for the opinions guys.

I decided against this option in the end. I had a Cyrus CD7Q before the Arcam. Your posts reminded me that the reason I changed it was the clinical detailed nature of the Cyrus. It sounds like I would be going back to a similar sound which isn't what I'm after.

9. ThomsonBill35

ThomsonBill35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had an arcam Alpha 9cd but prefer the CDT20 it just seems to hold me in the music better than the Aracm did.

I always felt the Arcam had some HF noise but then had a demo of the CDT20 I decided to go for a full CDT20.

Anyway please with my purchse only you can make the choice and a good dealer will sometimes let you try at home before you buy.

Bill