1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on these cameras pls.........

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by LearningCurve, Oct 5, 2004.

1. LearningCurve

LearningCurve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I'm new to the digi-cam forums and would like some honest :lesson: opinions on 3 cameras I got my eye on - Canon G6, Nikon Coolpix 8700 & Olympus 8080.

I'm just an amatuer, learning the tricks when it comes to all these digi camera business but I'm looking for a camera that would last me (an investment if you like :D) for quite a good time and a camera where I could improve myself and also take luscious pics :laugh:.

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They are all good cameras. i think the nikon (already looks a bit dated imo) and the oly are close to slr size and if i was going to go down that route then i'd advice you to get an slr. So for me it's the canon

3. LearningCurve

LearningCurve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply...........

I had thought about SLR but I could not find any in my price range £500.....

What would you recommend for an SLR on that price range? :D (if there are any........)

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry i meant a digital slr, which would be the canon 300D, you'd need another 150. But it would be well worth it.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,197
    Been there done that.
    Some months ago I was looking at the cameras you mention of them I seriously considered the Nikon because it gave 8* optical zoom. I ruled the others because the zoom was not as good although they gave 35mm to its 38mm.

Then a mate was talking to me about compactness and I thought if I got a big camera I would hardly take it out with me but a smaller one I could carry nearly all the time.
    The large amount of mega pixels may be tempting but they heave inerrant faults with them one being noise and an other being the sensors are a lot smaller.
    I ended up with a 4 mega pixel camera that I take out about 5 times a week carries on a hip bag but small enough to carry in a jacket pocket, and have got pictures I would have not with the bulkier cameras. And 4 mp will ive you plenty of room to crop and blow pictures up to A4 and still be sharp.
    I’m sure Sean can recommend a good Canon and I would recommend an Olympus 765.

Anyway that just my thoughts on the subject you know your need better than I. ;)

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I like garretts its fine camera. I like my s1 its also a fine camera. But £500 will get you a better camera, which the the G6 is. You might want to have a look at that new panasonic FZ20, £350 it looks a mighty fine camera

7. LearningCurve

LearningCurve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the saying goes.........size is not the issue here for me :blush: But I'm looking for something that of quality and good enough to last me (if not a life-time :D ) for long time. Something I could use as an amatuer and grow into (what's after amatuer - advanced? :D )

I have seen the Cannon G6 thread and the shot they posted there was quite fantastic but I want to compare that against the Nikon 8700 and the Olympus 8080.

Unfortunately my missus (the financial keeper :laugh:) would not allow anymore to budget for a new toy! So 500 really is my limit otherwise I will get......... :suicide:

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the G6 lets you add on lenses and a flash gun, so you have extra scope. You're only just out of reach of the 300D there though mate.

9. LearningCurve

LearningCurve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm alrighty..........I'll give that a serious thought

So does anyone here own either Nikon 8700 or Olympus 8080?