Opinions on the Philips 26PDF5520D and also extended warrantees.

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by Tony_R, Jun 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Tony_R

Tony_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new here and this is the second time I have typed this out as I submitted it incorrectly, anyway...

After months and months of deciding whether to invest in a LCD Television I’m ready to take the plunge. I think I have finally decided on the Philips 26PDF5520D and before finally buying I was looking for some advice.

Initially I was looking to spend around £500 - £600 on a 26”. Though that restricted me considerably.

I was considering getting the Sonix 26” from Sainsburys. A friend got one and his initial comments and photos I saw were really good. However, I was unsure of the make so decided to leave it a bit longer. A month later my friend took his back to Sainbury’s because of “ghosting” problems so I have ruled that out.

I then considered to 26” one Asda have on offer but after seeing this at Asda it just looks tacky. So ruled that out.

I’ve now decided I need to spend a bit more money to get something that’s going to last.

Firstly I had decided on the 27” Sagem HDL27 from unbeatable.co.uk for £850, which comes with a 2 year warranty. However, after seeing it in the “flesh” yesterday in John Lewis for £995 (with 5 year warranty), I have ruled this out as it seemed bulky compared to others and looks like it could easily scratch. Good features though.

I had also been looking at the LG RZ26-LZ50, online for around £699. They had it in John Lewis as well for £729 (with 5 year warranty) thought it might be worth the extra £30 for the warranty. But it’s not HDTV ready so think I have ruled this on out (maybe). For the extra money i'd rather future proof as much as I can.

While in John Lewis I noticed the Philips 26PDF5520D. It looked superb; great picture quality, design and looks slimline. Unfortunately it was £995 though had the standard 5-year John Lewis Warranty, so was £150 over my budget

I then went to Comet where they had the same model for £899, though only had the standard manufacturers warranty and they wanted £240 for a three-year warranty. So ruled that out.

Last night I looked online and found it on number of websites for £795. This morning I decided to go to a local independent “Plasma and LCD TV” shop and was surprised to find they are only £795 as well. The obvious benefit here being I have a shop to take it back to in person if anything were to go wrong. Also the VESA wall bracket is only £20.

I asked the chap about extended warrantees and he said he doesn’t believe in them. He reckons that it should last for 12-15 years and even if you had a couple of problems in that time your not going to be paying much more than the cost of a £200 warranty and the value of your LCD TV would drop anyway. He seemed refreshingly friendly and honest and non-pushy just have me his business card and told me to come back when I’m ready.

Next I went to Alders, where they had to same TV for £100 more and the salesman had to opposite opinion on warrantees so have ruled that out. Though they did have the Philips on display next to 6 others on the same wall and it did look superb.

So after all that waffling, in summary I think I’ve decided in the Philips 26PDF5520D, though I’m an unbelievably indecisive person, so not 100%.

Anyone got any opinions on this model? Any others you would recommend for a similar cost? Your opinion on warrantees etc?

Cheers

Tony.

2. Rian1988

Rian1988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hey there, i'm the same as you, i am going to get one of the philips, from comet. About warrenties there a waste of money dont bother, the only thing i took a warrenty out for was for my laptop. I bought a plasma without warrenty its over a year no probs. The reason i went for the philips it looks amazin it has a freeview tuner plus its got hdtv (the main reason). Hope this helps.

Jonny

p.s please add your opinions of this tv

3. Tony_R

Tony_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically the same reasoning as me. I'd look around if I were you to see if you can get it for £795 rather than £899.

I won't be getting it for two weeks (if I can wait that long). I'll post a report up once i've got it.

4. Tony_R

Tony_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I thought I had made my mind up someone has advised me on the Toshiba 37WL56. Which is 32" and only £852 at http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/TOS-32WL56.htm.

Though the specs on that website are less than what I have seen elsewhere.

Is this any good? I can't decide.

I should go with my original choice, I can't keep swapping and changing. Its probably over budget anyway.

5. caverncity

caverncity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok its not a 26" philips but a few months back I bought the 30" Philips and took it back the next day with a faulty power supply. Whilst I had it I noticed the sound wasnt too good and the picture was awful.

Since that I have had a Tevion 32" and now the Asda Dual 26", I found the DUAL to be better than all three of them.

Saying that I dont intend keeping it, its just a stop gap until prices drop again.

6. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You have to remember (some) companies can make more profit from the warranties they sell than the actual profit they make from the actual product they are selling to you, I steer well clear of any warranties, especially from companies beginning with a C :D

7. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In my area we had a local TV supplier with about 3 or 4 shops and a repair facility who offered good warranties. I often went in to browse and they always had the demo’s setup to show excellent pictures and staff were knowledgeable about the products they were selling. They’ve always been helpful and said any issues just come back. Well they’ve gone belly up and the shops are closed. So don’t assume that they will be there in six months and if they are providing their own warranty make sure it is underwritten by an assurance company. So do your research which you appear to be doing by Posting on this forum and take advices from some very knowledgeable contributors to this forum. Don’t let me put you off local suppliers just don’t make any assumption just because they been around for years and do your homework! This also applies to some Web site suppliers as they come and go.