Opinions on the new Sony Davs S888

Z

zerocool242001

Hi all, just heard that the new sony davs s888 is out in May, does any1 know anything about it. I know that the sub is now active rather than passive but wot does that mean. Is the total power more now as well. 600W was cool but more wud b better.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanx :cool:

Nad amps are 30W output, but will be more powerful than the Sony.

600W output will probably be PMPO (usually 10x greater than RMS)

Active- sub amp is built into the subwoofer cab

Passive- sub amp is in the main unit, and speaker cable is sent to the subwoofer.

There are better packages out there, really. Energy Take 5.1 (£600) plus a Yamaha 6xx series AV amp - say £200 will blow the Sony away.

The 880 has better speakers, the styling of 888 is more like previous 800.
The Sony DAVs are fine for a smaller room but 600 watts is likely to infer a level of loudness you will need to buy separates to achieve.
I am not against all-in-ones but maybe have a listen to similarly priced separates before deciding, investigate JVC TH-AV75R too, six satellite speakers, grunty subwoofer and 6.1 rather than 5.1.
Personally, buy the current DAV-S880 if you really must buy a Sony, rather than it's replacement.

thanx nathan_silly, when u say "blow the sony" away, wot do u mean, do u mean in terms of more wattage, i.e more watts than the sony's 600w.

Sorry 4 being slow and a lamer but first time into home cinema and want to get it right

thanx m8

Sound quality. Better quality drivers/crossover means better speaker.

Power. Yamaha amp is more powerful than the Sony, so at any given volume it'll sound better.

A bit like driving down a motorway in a Metro at 70mph. It'll do it, but it'll wobble (ie Distortion) and you have to floor it (amp running out of current)

Wheras with a 1.8L car it'll happily cruise along at 70, not wobble (less distortion) and engine will be purring along nicer (more power)

Personally a seperate DVD player (ie Toshiba £100 model) and a all-in-one speaker package- or seperate AV Amp/5.1 systems will just sound better, and have a much better picture.

Weakest point in a DAV unit (or similar) is the subwoofer. A big driver costs money- the complete kit is on a strict budget so something has to give. Usually the subwoofer & amp.

Yes, I connected one for a neighbour last week, it surprised me, the speakers are tall slim pillars like 880, not as in the picture sent to him by a dealer, little cubes as 800.
The active subwoofer is definitely better than previous passive design, I thought it was quite good for the money, but obviously not as good as separates.

Separates rule!I almost bought an all in one a few months back when making my first move into home cinema.I'm so glad I didn't as I ended up with a much better system at little extra cost.I don't even know why those all in one's get labelled as convenient,sure they're space saving,but you've only got one or two extra cables with separates,what's difficult about that?

Any chance you could find out from him if it is happy playing DVD-R's? The 800 liked them apparently and the 880 hated them with a passion, need to know as it would influence my decision to buy..... Cheers.

Yeh, I agree, separates are always better, but the missus doesn't always agree :rolleyes:

Originally posted by gringottsdirect
Yes, I connected one for a neighbour last week, it surprised me, the speakers are tall slim pillars like 880, not as in the picture sent to him by a dealer, little cubes as 800.
The active subwoofer is definitely better than previous passive design, I thought it was quite good for the money, but obviously not as good as separates.

Just bought the 880 for £550 and yep I know seperates are preferable but it matches my Plasma and stand and first tries with dvd-r no prob (datawrite yellow tops)

Cheers, much appreciated :clap:

Originally posted by gringottsdirect
We're popping there tomorrow after the race, will find out for sure. :)

Yeh, I agree, separates are always better, but the missus doesn't always agree
Sometimes(most of the time)I'm glad I'm single;A lot of poor chaps on here have that affliction!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Zerocool,

Go for seperates you won't regret it.

I have the 880 and seperates and there's just no comparison. Sure the 880/888 looks the biz but it's performance does not match it's looks.
The surrounds work fairly well but the bass on the 880 is disappointing. It remains to be seen whether the switch to an active sub will improve things that much on the 888.

The PL2 works fairly well and that's all I use with digital TV.

Spend your money wisely and you'll get a much better sounding system for the same price.

:)

Great! Thanks for that.....

Looks like I'll be making a purchase soon ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom