Opinions on the HD-DVD drive?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by screemer, Apr 28, 2007.

1. screemer

screemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Considering getting one. What do u guys think of it generally?

2. Mickle

Mickle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's not a bad little unit, but the E-1 is not much more than £100 more these days, so I think i'd opt for that if I were buying now.

3. Croftanator

Croftanator
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I were you now, I'd wait until MS fixed the audio issues and see what people have to say then. In the mean time, if standalone players get a lot cheaper, forget the waiting and go for that instead :)

Picture and functionality excellent. Audio is pewp at the moment...

4. fluffrick

fluffrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The audio issues are the only thing preventing me from buying more HD-DVDs. As things stand, the audio performance offered at the moment is just far too quiet. If the dashboard update solves that, and at least gives Dolby at a realistic volume level, I'll be chuffed.

Video quality is fantastic and functionality offered by discs is fun - it isn't really a quantum shift on from SD discs, but it's a nifty improvement.

As somebody who plays more movies than games, a standalone player might have been a better fit for me, but the fairly cheap price of the drive was hard to resist. And it may be for you, too...

5. T0M

T0M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    it's a relatively cheap way to dip your toes into the HD format, besides if you change your mind the movies and players are still changing hands for decent money secondhand.

6. DenzilTK421

DenzilTK421

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Do it!

I've had no second thoughts!

7. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    For £130 it is pretty damn good.

I use mine with an LCD projector, and the picture quality is excellent. As for the sound issues, I found that turning the voulme up really helps (i know, complicated huh?).

Go for it.

8. basser

basser
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i have one connected to my media pc and my 360 when needed...i find there are less problems with the pc route and the sound is better as well...got mine at launch....brilliant piece of equipment for the price:thumbsup:

9. Sasso Palmieri

Sasso Palmieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've expressed what a bargain I think it is and, although the audio is comparatively quiet, I find Poseidon on True HD at -30dB is thunderous.

Go and buy one. It's a weekend's going-out cash for many people.

10. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    I think you're better off with a Toshiba HD-E1, I have both.

MS have not exactly been quick to fix HD-DVD compatibility issues with the 360 and I don't see that changing. We are STILL waiting for the first set of fixes since launch in November last year. Meanwhile Toshiba release updates almost monthly. On a new format this is IMO essential and MS seem more bothered about the cost of multiple releases to them than keeping their customers happy. The audio issue is also well documented elsewhere.

Of course if you're planning on using the drive with a PC then it's different again as you're reliant on PC software rather than MS 360 updates. Cyberlink are doing OK IMO, but MS seem to be doing their best again on Vista to screw things up. Better off sticking to Windows XP for now if you want reliable playback on a PC. All the drivers on Vista so far seem somewhat buggy.

In terms of responsiveness and usability, then I'd put the PC first, quicker and easier to navigate, the 360 next as it is quick, albeit buggy and noisy, and the HD-E1 last as it is rather slow... I'm not sure I could put up with the HD-E1 for normal DVD use, but for HD-DVD it's a better compromise than the 360. Once Toshiba drop the 'Intel Inside' parts and go more SoC instead then I'd expect the operation to speed up dramatically.