Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Opinions on the following floorstanders please...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hallsy, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Right, after my other post about wife friendly speakers we have now decided that we want a pair of slim floorstanders in either beech, cherry or oak.
    I am looking to spend around £250, upmost maximum of £300, and have sorted out a shortlist:
    AE Evo 3 (£250 - hifi confidential)
    Mission M34i (£250 - hifibitz)
    Tannoy Fusion 3 (£180 - hifisuppliers)
    Tannoy Fusion 4 (£270 hifisuppliers)
    Tannoy Revolution R2 (£199.99 hifi confidential)
    Unfortunately I'm going to struggle to demo all of these as my local hifi stores are pretty poor. I'll be able to listen to Evo 3 and M34, not sure about the rest.
    Are there any obvious contenders I have missed out?
    Any comments on the above would be much appreciated, perhaps helping me to make my list a little shorter!!

2. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    What about the MS Premier? cheapest from hificonfidential

3. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Do you mean a complete package? I am only looking to replace my floorstanders. I had considered some MS 914 floorstanders, but not overly keen on the alloy fronts. Have had good reviews though so maybe worth l;ooking at them in the flesh. Are they well worth considering from a performance point of view?
    Also just a few notes on speaker placement and room acosutics that might help.
    Speakers are positioned about 1 foot from rear wall, can't really bring them out much more, but plenty of room either side.
    The room is a slight L shape with the listening arear being the bigger part of the L at 5.5m x 3.5m with the speakers on the 3,5m wall. The rest of the L is 3m x 3.5m, so I have a total floorspace of 29.75m2. Is this what you would call a medium or large room?
    I have laminate flooring and the room has little furniture, two sofas, coffee table, and dining table.
    I belive this makes the acoustics a little bright. But I'm no expert!!
    Cheers.

4. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just been doing a little reading up on the Tannoys and it seems that the fusion's mid/bass driver is an upgraded version of the older Revolution series, so maybe the Fusion 4 would be a better bet over the Revolution R2?
    Also is it right that the Evo 3's need a lot of space to breathe? Side walls are about 80cm and the other 100cm, but as said above I can only really accomodate about a foot behind them. Could bring them out a little more, but not loads.
    Also forgot to mention the amp, I'm using a Yam RXV640.

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I used to have the MS914's. and they were lovely speakers for the money, definitely one to put on your shortlist :) Will work well with your Yammy too.

6. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers, I'll try to get a look at them in the flesh, just not over sure about the alloy fronts.
    Any opinions on the other speakers guys? Namely the Tannoy Fusions? Are these totally front ported, if so they would probably suit my close to the wall positioning?

7. Stew

Stew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The revoloutions have real wood veneer, (not sure about the fusions) might go down beter with the wife

8. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah, I noticed they were real cherry wood, which went in their favour. Missus has said she lieks the look of either, just thought that the fusions may now be better due to changes in technology, and new tech getting cheaper?
    On a side note, would the Fusion 4's be a little overpowering for my room type? Would the 3's be better? Just thought that the 4's would have had more thought put into them as they are not just a floorstanding version of the fusion 2.
    Any opinions on the M34i?
    Have read more good things about MS914 so will try to get a look at these.
    Really looking for help against my positioning/room type, as I know some floorstanders need a lot of space to breathe.
    Cheers

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    The veneer on the Revolutions will darken due to exposure to sunlight...i own a set that were originaly a bit like Beech, you should see then now :thumbsup: (i can post an image if you like).

10. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go second hand all the way, and get something MUCH better than those rather mediocre offerings...

Pick up something like B&W DM603 S2/S3 (bass and headroom aplenty), Mission 753 Freedom (transparency but not much excitement), Monitor Audios (something inbetween)?

11. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Had considered 2nd hand, a guy on here was selling a pair of Kef Q3's for £200 which is agood price, but some feel that the Q1 on stands sounds better.
    I wouldn't have thought I'd pick a 2nd hand pair of 603 S3's for £250 though??

12. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B&W DM603 S2's should be under £300, and this is what I've seen them advertised for in the classifieds.

No offence, but your 'shortlist' of speakers is big and varied: reading about sound quality is completely the right recipe for ending up with hifi products you probably won't enjoy. Kef Q3's and B&W DM603s couldn't be much more different.

I really urge you to start listening instead - it takes a lot more time and effort getting nowhere reading reviews and opinions, than it does to drive to a dealer and decide probably within minutes what suits you best.

13. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for your comment, although I can't help thinking that you are being contradictory.
    I believe the list I originally posted to be a shortlist of floorstanders that were within my budget, can't get shorter than that surely? No denying that they are all different sounding speakers, but what would you expect from different speaker types/brands??
    Secondly, in which sentence did I compare the Q3 to 603 S2? I am quite aware that they are very different speakers.
    Finally your comments on demoing speakers are slightly misleading. Initially you are urging me to consider 2nd hand, perhaps from classifieds like on this board. In which case, 90% of the time a demo would not be possible/convenient and you would prbably end up buying them either on being a good price, or recommendations from others.
    As I have mentioned before, the dealers around me carry little stock, and few of the speakers I wanted to audition. Also if I were looking to demo 2nd hand speakers this would depend on me finding a dealer that had those particular speakers in stock, again, probably not that easy.
    Besides demoing can still be misleading as room acoustics will never be the same, and unless you take your own components along you will be listening to them on a completely different setup. I have read on here how someones opinion on a set of speakers has changed greatly when switching amplifiers.
    I'm sorry if this seems a little angry, but your comments just seemed to be an attempt to belittle the 'small' budget I possibly had, maybe the speakers I mentioned initially were mediocre in comparison to whatever you listen to but I can't afford to spend much more.
    Please don't take offence :smashin:

Anyway, back to the post, 2nd hand is definately a consideration, as I know that you can get a lot for your money 2nd hand. Just the other day I saw a pair of Castle Howard S2's going for £400, a friend of mine paid well over a £1000 for his pair, and was gutted to put it lightly!!
    I'll have to try harder to get more demos, I'll have to search out all the delaers in my area then perhaps I'll have a better idea of what is suited to me and my system.
    Cheers.

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If you could stretch your budget by another 100 pounds you could open yourself up to some fantastic brand new possibilties, Quad 11L standmounts spring to mind (and indeed some super 2nd hand bargains). A quick scan of the classifieds here threw these up:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190631
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191854
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191519

It's a bit dry for speaker sales at the moment, but you could place a wanted ad and see what turns up.

15. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry!

I absolutely never meant to belittle your budget at all ! £250 is a lot of money for a pair of speakers for most people, and a lot of what you say is bang on - its no excuse not to demo before you buy though in my book. B&W DM603s and Monitor Audios are still there in shops to demo before going 2nd hand,Mission don't make anything like those good old 752/3 Freedoms anymore though you are right.

I'm just looking out for your hard-earned, thats all.

What are the local hifi shops prices like? If they will take replacements if youre unhappy, maybe this is an option for safeguarding?

If you are still gonna buy blind, my personal recommendation would be the B&W DM603s - an enjoyable, generous all-round sound that is a lot more tolerant of different rooms and placement than other speakers I've come across. And suddently your budget isn't so small - these are cracking speakers at any price.

16. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers for the comments guys. Not to worry superprixel, I understand you were just trying to help, perhaps I took it the wrong way :D
    I would love a pair fo 11L's, unfortunately they have to be floorstanders though, wifes orders!!!
    Local to me I have the usual suspects such as Sevenoaks and Richer Sounds (not a great help really), although speaking to a friend over the weekend he mentioned a hifi shop not to far away that sold a lot of 2nd hand gear, as well as a lot of very high end new stuff, maybe I'll try to get over there and look at there 2nd hand prices.
    The ebst thing I can do is wait until I have the cash (prob about 2 weeks) have a look around, if I can't find anything (or even if I do find something I like) I will place a wanted ad in the classifieds section.
    I had seen those ads you mentioned Kazman, the Mordaunt Shorts look great for value for money, although their looks wouldn't please you know who!! ;) but as you say, other than those it is a little dry at the moment.
    Time will tell!!

17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
  18. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've got an ad on here for some Black Tannoy R3s and an RC centre. Priced at £320 but I'd do the R3s on their own for £275 collected from Leicester. Someone also had some Mission 775s for a good price have alook through ads for the last couple of weeks.

19. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,320
    bassbin, please do not make trading negotiations anywhere else but in your advert. Otherwise it could lead to confusion.

20. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Haha, would love to blow the budget on the 21L's, lovely looking speakers :nod:
    Thanks for the offer Bassbin, unfortunately black ash speakers aren't on the menu, I know this seems picky but it keeps the moaning at bay!!

21. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Sorry about that wasn't thinking.

22. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I think you could explain to the wife that standmounts would look better in the end as they will make the whole room look more spacious, if you get some nice silver Atacama Nexus 6 stands (always coming up in the classifieds here) then a pair of standmounts would look stunning, you will also win brownie points for making the room look nicer :) You also get more bang for your buck with standmounts too.

The Acoustic Energy Evo floorstanders can be had quite cheap and come in various finishes, I believe superfi have them for a very good price right now: http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1278

These missions could also be an option: http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2019
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2084

23. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey Hallsy,

How's my 640 doing these days? I hope she's not causing you too much inner-ear damage :devil:

I'm biased towards the Revolution 2's of course, but would bear the following in mind before you make a purchase:

1) Remember that although the 640 is rated at 80wpc, it really isn't anywhere near that powerful. I would plump for the most "efficient" design possible - one that puts the least amount of strain on the 640's limited power supply. The R2's are fairly "thirsty" in power terms. My stereo amp (72wpc) struggles to drive them very loud and needs pre-amp gain increased in order to make them thunder.

2) They're rear-ported and need space to breathe. They can throw out a fair amount of bass if need be, but I think you'll find the cabinet starts to colour the sound at higher (i.e. action movie) volumes. I have mass-loaded mine and use top-weights to reduce resonance as much as possible. At normal listening volume, they have fabulous driver integration and a lush mid-band for such an affordable speaker (which is why I haven't felt the need to upgrade them yet.)

3) The veneer will darken over time, so you'll either have to leave the grilles off for an even finish (scary with kids around - tweeters are finger magnets, aren't they?) or leave them on and give your speaker "tan lines" instead :D .

4) I used to have B&W 601's but they were just a little too bright to use with the Yammy (which is bright-ish already). The 602.5's are excellent, excellent speakers but really need calm ancilliaries to sound their best.

Personally, I would recommend either the AE Evo 3 (90.5dB 8ohm) or Fusion 4 (91dB 8ohm). They both have excellent reputations in terms of sound & build quality. Sensitivity is also excellent (if the stats are to be believed). They should both last several system upgrades would sound fine on the end of a hi-fi system too. Try & demo them if you can.

Rgds,
    DT

24. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
  25. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a real bargain. Excellent quality these!

26. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Got a pair downstairs, just been delivered :)

Guess what I'm doing tonight?!

27. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hey Mr Turtle,
    the Yam is going well cheers. Can't say that I've really pushed it that hard yet, loudest I've had it is prob -35dB whilst showing some scenes from Matrix Reloaded off to a mate :)
    Cheers for yoru comments on speaker choice, I hadn't really looked into sensitivity, I guess I was just assuming that most speakers in this "budget" price range would be fairly efficient to suit the perceived components they would be partnered with.
    Eventually I will end up getting a 2-channel amp although, whther I'll use these floorstanders or buy another pair - who knows!!
    In a few weeks I'll hopefully have a pair sitting here - and I'll fill you all in once I've got them :D

28. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, I finally got myself a new pair of speakers. I bought a pair of the Acoustic Energy Aesprit AE309's in maple. They haven't had much of a chance to run in yet, but so far they are better in all respects over my old Eltax.
    I always thought my Yam had a problem with bass, but after running the new AE309's I acan see that it was the Eltax that had the bass problem. The 309's are som uch fuller in the lower frequencies, and sound generally more exciting. I had read that they were quite neutral speakers, but in comparison to my old eltax they sound much more alive.
    The other half isn't over happy about the size of them, much taller than old ones, but she does appreciate the finsih, and styling more :)

On a side note, these are maple veneer, will the veneer suffer from sun exposure and give tan lines if the grills are left on, like cherry veneers do?