1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on the better budget players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RoyT, Jan 2, 2002.

1. RoyT

RoyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A mate of mine is on the cusp of buying himself a DVD player and I'm keen to assimilate another VHS convert ;)

I think he should plump for one of the Dansia players from Tesco as they are pretty cheap and they are giving away 20 films with 'em for about £200 (not sure about the quality of the films but he could always sell them...

Does anyone have any conflicting views, or own one of the Dansai's and have an opinion?

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is that the one, with the load of crap films, endorsed by Jeremy Beadle...? I reckon that says it all.

I don't get why anyone who bothers to do a tiny bit of research would ever spend £200 on a 'budget' player, when for the same price you can pick up something like a Toshiba SD210E, even a multiregion model. It's plain illogical.

3. RoyT

RoyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure about the Jeremy Beadle connection, that would count against it ;)

From what I udnerstand the though the Dansia is not a bad machine, multi-region handset hack, and macrovision disable too, a reasonable batch of features but admittedly relatively low build quality values...

It is a good point about the Tosh, it's also possible to get a Panasonic 444 for 199 multiregion too now that I think about it...

Trouble, the average joe wants as much as poss from electrical and balks at paying for quality over quantity.

Most people would puke if they paid a grand for a TV for example, even though that is a relatively low price compared to what ca be bought.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Forget the cheap films. Two horse race. Toshiba 210 on quality, Pioneer 444 on looks. Both are better than the competition IMHO.

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Absolutely.

It doesn't matter if you get a free speed boat or a trip to the Moon with a budget DVD player... the unmovable fact is that for a DVD player, you're better off with a decent machine like the Toshiba or the Pioneer than spending a not-so-budget £200 on a Supermarket 'budget' player, just because it has a few flipper films no one has ever heard of with it.

6. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen T2 played on the Dansai and Toshiba 210.

210 wins hands down. No question.

That's why I bought the 210 :D

Out of the 20 free DVD's on offer with the Dansai - there's only maybe two/three worth having anyway.

Get the better player, then choose and buy your own selection of DVD's.

Cheers.

7. RoyT

RoyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm not sure how easily convinced Mr Average is by the quality over quantity, but we'll see...

People do have a hard time understanding that the first £200 of the cost is for functionality and the rest is for the quality...

Like I say it isn't for me as I don't need convincing about budget players, I used to have one of the Wharfedale 750s machines, I've now got a Panasonic RV60 which is miles better than the Wharfie.