Opinions on Taiyo Yuden dvd-r discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jazzie, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Jazzie

Jazzie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,
    I just wanted to get a couple of opinions, I've been buying samples of various discs to find one I'm happy with, my latest set was a stack of Taiyo Yuden -r DVDs from SVP and after going through more than 20 I have a pile of about 15 that my recorder kicked out as invalid.

I'm not convinced this isn't my recorder which has had no end of problems including rejecting a full stack of TDKs which are on it's recommended list (probably posting elsewhere on that later, long story), so I rang around and at least 2 other DVD suppliers told me that TYG02 discs were the spot on and should not be rejecting in those quantities regardless of where they came from.

Has anyone else had problems with these or would you agree with the retailers I've spoken to?

Cheers

2. bk8

bk8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have only ever used the Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs from SVP with my E95 and they have been great. So far used about 75 and had 3 with errors during finalising.

3. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Jazzie, sounds like your recorder is flaky. TY disks are supposedly the best (and TDK are usually bery good too), admittedly there are a lot of fakes around because of that reason, however SVP are usually good as a supplier in general.

Is there a firmware update for your recorder?

--Loob.

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hmmm... you wouldn't have a Toshiba recorder by any chance, would you?

5. Jazzie

Jazzie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The recorder is a LiteOn LVW 5006, firmware is a major issue with me and the question on discs is sort of linked.

Very long story short, I bought it in Nov 2004, from the start it has had 2 problems, all dark images had a scattering of green dots all over them and the only discs it seems to like are Datawrite Yellows, a couple of months ago I got some TDKs which are on the recommended list and when it kicked them out I rang the recorder suppliers who's attitude was it must be the discs.

At the time I knew very little about firmware upgrades and if I'm honest didn't really understand them (still don't fully), the supplier never even suggested it so I rang around a few DVD suppliers and a very helpful lady at Digital Promo talked me through the whole process, 2 upgrades later and for a short time all seemed well although by that time I had aquired a new set of Datawrite Yellows and the TDKs had gone back to the supplier.

I then tried the Taiyo Yudens and it rejected them so I checked the LiteOn firmware page and ran the latest upgrade, it now looks as though the screen has a sheet of green perspex over it and it failed on the first disc I put in, rang the supplier again and he suggested my scart lead had fallen out (checked, swapped lead, tried on component, no change), he claimed to have never heard of TYG02 or Taiyo Yuden which stunned me as its all over the web, ironically the green dots which were annoying but I could live with appear to have gone, instead the whole image has a green tinge.

I'm now thinking the new upgrade was to fix the dots which seem to be a common problem judging by other forums (guess they'd better try again)either way it doesn't answer the question of the discs rejecting and the supplier seems to be taking the attitude he can get out of a refund by rubbishing the discs, hence my original question

6. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Taiyo Yuden discs are generally considered to be some of the best made. If I had problems with Taiyo Yuden from a reputable source, I would look at my recorder first.

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I agree; I've never had a problem with TY02 discs (and that's with a Toshiba XS32).

Mark