• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Opinions on Studio flash kit please

SeeHear

Established Member
Hi,
I was looking at getting some studio lights mainly for kids portraits etc. I was looking at this set.

"D" Series Professional Portrait Studio 600

they will not be used in a studio setting all day every day, maybe a couple of hours a few times a week.

Has any one heard of them or used them?. Any opinions good or bad would be great

thanks

Terri
xxx

(mods if this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it!)

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I have never used them. I have heard of folk on the other forum (nm) who use these, or the original manufacturers units and think they are great. They have found them reliable and of good performance.

You can save even more on them if you are prepared to go the ebay route and buy direct from Hong Kong I think. Of course if you do that you'll lose the back up from this UK distributor.

SeeHear

Established Member
oooh people on nm use them, I will have a search on there too and see what I can find also. I dont particularly want to go down the japan route as i dont want to be stung with import tax etc

Teri
xxx

senu

Distinguished Member
Hong Kong .
Seems like the same differnce but some companies will refund tax if you do end up paying it

springtide

Distinguished Member
I've bought some of the Walimex kit from Foto Walser in Germany.
http://www.foto-walser.biz

They also have an Ebay shop:
eBay UK Shop - walimex Broncolor Canon Hama Manfrotto Minolta Multiblitz: Digitalkamerazubehör Blitzgerät Blitzstativ Hintergrund, Fotozubehör Hintergrundkarton Hintergrundreflektor

It's rebranded Chinese studio equipment, but it's actually built pretty well.
I have three flashes, the 'CY' series: 2x CY-260 (260ws) and 1x CY-420ws as well as a number of their softboxes.
The downside is that they can only be turned down to 1/8 power.

One of the things I like about this kit is the number of options you have after the initial purchase.

They also have the more expensive Aurora range which are supposed to be more professional, but obviously are more expensive.

SeeHear

Established Member
Woohoo after speaking to a few photographers that use them, i decided to go ahead with them and ordered today.
They are being reviewed in practical photographer next week, and I have been told that the set reviewed got five stars and out performed the elinchrom and the bowens. That will be interesting to see, cant wait to get them now :clap::clap:
Its like waiting for xmas all over again!

Terri
xxx

Boobster

Standard Member
Woohoo after speaking to a few photographers that use them, i decided to go ahead with them and ordered today.
They are being reviewed in practical photographer next week, and I have been told that the set reviewed got five stars and out performed the elinchrom and the bowens. That will be interesting to see, cant wait to get them now :clap::clap:
Its like waiting for xmas all over again!

Terri
xxx

Hi Terri,

I look forward to hearing about this kit from you. I'm currently in the same situation - looking for a studio kit.

Hope it lives up to your expectations :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom