1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on StandsUnique High AV10 Chunky

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by MJeeves, Jun 30, 2004.

1. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Does anyone have an opinion on the StandsUnique High AV 10 Chunky legged stand? I need a stand to house 4 pieces of equipment (DVD player, VCR, Video scaler, Set-Top box) AND a large Proac centre speaker.

Opinions on the StandsUnique stuffis appreciated as is any other suggestions.

Thanks,

M.J.

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Good quality, well made, although quite expensive - can get at least 10% off RRP. If you'd like wooden legs (this isn't a threat) its a good choice. I take it your amp is kept elsewhere, and you won't need room for more.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Adjustable shelf height is a real bonus! good quality and holds enough weight for a rugby team! choice of finishes is good and reasonably easy to assemble. Doors and side panels are optional extras and push price up but frosted finish (special order) is nice.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent build and finish, real quality feel about the whole product. Good company to deal with aswell, very helpful!

5. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Cool! Thanks guys. Does the frosted glass side and doors rattle if I were to have my big centre speaker in there?

6. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    I take it you're talking about their 'ultimate' stand? The glass goes either side of the speaker - only suitable for std shape bookshelf speakers, as opposed to flat centre speakers. If that's the stand you mean, I'd be amazed if it did rattle. Obviously, you wouldn't have glass covering the front of your speaker.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    No the AV10 high.
    we have the doors off ours but side panels on and even with a sub next to the panel it doesn't rattle!

8. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Idiot. Have you actually seen the 'ultimate' stand?

:blush: On checking today, it seems that the 'space' for a centre speaker in the 'ultimate' range is somewhat limited. It wouldn't even fit a Leema Xen.

I'd really like the etched glass on the front - unless you have a whole load of expensive looking & matching kit (eg Arcam P7, AV8, DV27) I think the etched doors make a big improvement. And when you add a sky box & xbox into the stand, I think it's difficult to get great look without those doors. I think if the 'ultimate' stand was straight (so like other stands, but with doors on each side, and a space for the centre speaker) it would be perfect (for me).

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The AV10 not only looks nice but is built like a tank - I mean it can take a huge amount of weight - at one point I worked out that mine was loaded with about 340lbs of equipment !!

10. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm thinking about getting the AV10 soon myself as I need something that can hold 4 bits of equipment plus centre speaker. My only concern is that you will be able to see wires coming out the back. Guess I'm gonna have to find me some form of cable ties or something to hide them as best as I can. I also like this unit as its not as deep as a lot of others (its going in a fairly smallish room so min floor space needs to be taken up).

Its either that or some form of wooden job from ikea but all the nice stuff is too deep!

11. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I can only re-iterate others' comments about the build quality and robustness of Stands Unique's kit, and about their superb service. I've a Sound Tower 10 for the main hi-fi, an Ultimate High AV for the AV kit (and with regards the space for a centre, it does depend on which way you have the stand facing - with the flat to the back its only really suitable for RMS Revelation or the later speakers Rod sells on his site, with the flat facing forward there is greater scope for other styles), and an Extended TV Support as a coffee table! Can't comment on side glass because mine are all open, but for cable management there are a couple of options. I use the strip cable management system, and if its placed right alongside the leg its pretty invisible in my experience.

Alan

12. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the AV10 extended, with the chunky legs. I concur with the build quality, however there is a problem with the intermediate shelves, that sit on the adjustable pegs, in as much as the pegs can pull out, collapsing the shelf, if too heavy a piece of equipment is put on them, or as in my case, when I leaned on it whilst connecting it up. Amps should be confined to the fixed shelves. The addition of an AV10 Floor Isolation Slab, gives room for equipment up to 80mm high, such as SKY Boxes etc. I also have two Transition Wall Supports, used to carry the surround amps. They are attractive to look at, and very strong, with minimum brackets, and will hold up to 30Kgs.

As my equpment expands, I am thinking of a adding a compact TV Cabinet, with the etched doors, as some of the new boxes do not match the original TagMclaren items. As ever with a cabinet, cooling becomed the problem, I saw advertised an enclosed cabinet with a built in cooling system, I tried to incorporate such a system in a wooden cabinet, using CPU fans. Even after mounting the fans undrneath the unit, on rubber shocks, and surrounding them with polystyrene, one could still hear the fan in the background, though no louder than a computer, or projector fan. Manufacturers recommend 100mm (4" space) above and to the sides of most equipment. Even on standby, my TAG processor gets quite hot, with 50mm of space above, and open at the back and sides.