1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on speakers required.....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bristol Pete, May 17, 2005.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
  2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    They did look nice at Bristol but unfortunately I didn't get to hear them. It has been said that they're just the normal Diamond range in a nicer cabinet though.

If you want to try for something really interesting, these:
    http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=3.1
    are on special offer at the moment and could probably be imported for about the price of those Evo's. I don't think there are any in the UK yet though so no chance of a demo, I'd go for them myself if bigger speakers were practical. :)

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Cheers,

Have always like the sound of the diamonds and may try and demo these locally as may focus on stereo + centre for the moment...

Assuming I can sell my AAD's, which are fantastic speakers but were perhaps better partnered with the Denon I had prior to the Pioneer....

That said, I was at Sick Boys place last night, another Bristol forum member. A long standing friend, he bought my M72c set up last summer and to be honest it sounded bloody amazing via a marantz amp..... :eek: I kinda thought 'bugger, why did I sell them?'

Pete.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Thinking about it, those Rocket's would probably sound a bit harsh with the Pio amp from what I've read. Have you considered just pumping all of your money into even better plain stereo equipment?

Probably worth demoing the Quad 21L's which I heard at Kazman's and were rather good and shouldn't pair badly with the Pio. I think Radfords stock them.

The Wharfedale diamond range do sound good though, my housemate has some 8.1's upstairs with my old Denon amp. :)

Just read your edit, I use Mission speakers with my Marantz amp and they definitely match really well. :D

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Yeah, its funny. Some combinations simply just work. No tweaking, fidling etc, just brilliant sound and that is even sans subwoofer....?!?!?!?!?!

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Another thought, have you considered going for bookshelf speakers? You get much better drivers and cabinetry for your money at that price level which might suit your Pio better. I personally prefer having smaller speakers across the front 3 for movies but prefer floorstanders for music as the stereo bass management options become far more flexible. :)

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Nope. nice idea however. Way off budget at the moment but you know what this AV lark is like once you get a bee in your bonet!

Pete.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I thought that was what you were trying to get away from! :laugh:

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Any links online for the Quads?

Pete.

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    http://www.iaguk.com/quad/lseries.htm

Plus they're stocked at www.avland.co.uk so you can get an idea of pricing, the floorstanders are a fair bit more than the Wharfedales you linked to I'm afraid though.

The pictures on the site really don't do them justice. :)

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Also worth considering the Epos speakers. The M series are very nicely finished but would probably leave you in bookshelf territory again whilst the ELS series sound very good and you might be able to stretch to some floorstanders. :)

12. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I have the Evo 30's, slightly smaller, through MF amplification and they sound wonderful, they're also fed from a marantz av pre-amp and for movies they have plenty punch. As CB said, some things match some don't, see if you can demo a set (superfi have plenty high st dealers) then make you decision.

13. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    These are a gorgeous range, howevr on my demo with them, they sounded very screechy with rock music (RATM & RHCP etc......my demo discs), and even with very slight head movements the stereo image would change dramatically. Set up correctly with the right gear, I think these would be awesome, but for a normal living room, with the compromises sometimes made, my experience of them was they were too temperamental - only my opinion though.

ps the Quad L series and the Wharfedale Evo series were designed by the same core team.

14. butchershook

butchershook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't waste your money. try a pair of Accoustic Energy Aegis EVO3. They can be purchased for only 239GBP (inc VAT). I think these are the best sounding speakers for under a grand a pair but then again I'm not the type who cleans their ears out with alchohol before listening :) A fine speaker presenting little or no listener fatigue. Low price certainly does not mean low end in this case.

15. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    I would disagree strongly with that statement. They are lacking in finesse and detail and have no control over the bottom end which is soft and wooly. Don't get me wrong , they are great speakers for £250 but best speakers under a grand, I think not. There are too many speakers under a grand to list that are better than the Evo 3s and such a sweeping statement will not help a newcomer find exactly what he/she is looking for when there are so many better speakers about for a little bit more money.