1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on Sony KLVL32M1S

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by po_man, Dec 24, 2004.

1. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I have a budget of approx £1600.00 and am looking for a 32" LCD.
    I'm seriously considering either the Philips 32PF9976 or the Sony KLVL32M1S and even possibly the Philips 32PF9986 (if i can stretch my budget!!).

I've seen some extremely positive reviews on the Sony model (even compared to the PF9986) and was wondering if anyone else had any opinions on the matter.

Many thanks and Happy christmas everyone

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The Sony will not be suitable for future Hi-Def transmissions, i.e. no HDMI or DVI ( with HDCP ). If that worries you? :confused:

3. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    I have also been looking at that philips 9976 lcd tv and the toshiba 32"wl48 tv but dont now which one to go for.The sony lcd does not have dvi or hdmi so thats a no go for me. :suicide:

4. NeilTh

NeilTh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ive got the 9976 - v pleased with it, and you can pick them up fairly reasonably at the moment, plus DVI input

Neil

5. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 23" version of the sony, and the picture quality is by far the best I've seen from an LCD :)

6. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Now i'm confused... in the Dec issue of "What Hi Fi?" mag, it says about the KLV-L32M1 that "Perhaps the most remarkable thing about the Sony is that it offers Wega Engine and high-def compatibility..."

Any ideas??

7. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    To be high def compatible it merely means the physical screen itself is capable of showing a high def image. What you have to check is if the TV has anyway of feeding the screen a high def source. The problem is that it looks like high def transmissions will be protected and so you will need a HDMI input or DVI input with HDCP. This is based on the recent SKY announcement; they have announced support for the above but no mention of analogue input; i.e. component.

8. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It'll accept HD input on the component connectors, so if you have a dvd player that'll output a HD picture over component it'll look spectacular.
    However, sky has said their HD broadcasts will only work over a dvi and hdmi input, so it seems most people around here have decided that anything without a dvi or hdmi input is not HD compatable (even though it is :) so what, it won't work with sky, big deal :p)

If you want, you can get one imported from the states where it does come with a hdmi input.

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Whats the difference between the M1 range and the HR3 series ? Does one replace the other and if so which is the newer range ?