Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Opinions on Sharp PG-M20s?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dean randle, Mar 12, 2003.

1. dean randle

dean randle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I went to see some projectors being demo'd in Sydney today after seeing an advert. The projectors I saw were Sanyo PLVZ1, NEC HT1000, Sharp PG-M20S, and a Hitachi XGA LCD (which I cannot remember the model number of).

To cut a long story short, the Sharp was a fantastic picture. With it's 3 x colour wheel I only noticed the smallest of rainbow if I did the left-right fast scanning of my eyes. So probably not noticeable under normal conditions. It did have a very long throw though, resulting in a 100" diagonal from somewhere in the region of 16' from the screen. This did seem a sticking point. I don't know where I will be living when I return to the UK and don't know if any projector will become inflexible because of it's short/long throw. To be fair, the dealer demo'd the NEC just to show me how good the Sharp was for less than half it's price and there was not the hugest amount of difference. The NEC managed to give a shorter throw.

I suppose what I'm trying to find out is: Should I buy this pj or not? I've found that I can get it back in the UK for about £1300. It just seems why haven't I heard anything about this pj before? I've done a little searching on AVS and found a couple of people with it. It may just be that I have read so much about the other main contenders that this has thrown me.

I've seen the HS10 and the AE300 in a couple of stores here, as well as the Z1, and the picture on all of these was not as good.

I know the advice given is buy what you can afford and what you like. I just don't want to buy something with limitations I'm not aware of yet?
    On a technical note, I've noticed on it's spec sheet that through it's DVI terminal it is not compatible with synch on green function. If anyone could explain what this means I would also be grateful.

Sitting on this fence is just so bloody painful and I wanna jump soon!!!! :clap:

Cheers,

Dean.