Opinions on second hand/used games

PanasonicFan18

Standard Member
With a Crytek dev recently saying that it would be "absolutely awsome" if second hand games were blocked from being used on consoles (link), I was wondering what peoples opinions are on second hand games.

Do you purchase used games?

Do you trade in games or sell them but not actually purchase any?

Do you think it would be a good idea too block used games from being played?

Or would it not affect you at all?

majnu

Distinguished Member
Cytek are still butt hurt from Crysis 2 being the most pirated game on the PC. They should concentrate on that platform and let MS continue to counter piracy which they do an excellent job on instead of worrying about frivolous things like second hand games loosing them sales. They already have the online pass which is bad enough.

If second hand games are blocked watch piracy increase.

onebelo

every game i buy, i buy it the cheapest i can (99% thatll be used) and after i finish them, i sell them on.

if used games were blocked i would never buy a game at release/full price and would wait until they were around the £10 mark. wouldnt have a problem waiting.

DonnySteve25

hasn't this discussion been done to death lately :boring:,anyone who uses secondhand games should be hung drawn & quartered :rolleyes: ho what it must be like to be a millionaire & be able to pay absolute top dollar for everything, unfortunately in this day & age that's not the case & a lot of people just would never play a lot of the games if this happened & i agree with Maj I'm pretty sure it would drive people to even more piracy :thumbsdow which cant be a good thing.

Do you purchase used games? yes sometimes lets face it some of the games are just not worth paying top whack for :rolleyes:

most of my games I buy new, but I do trade my games at times to make up a bit on a new purchase but tbh have not done any trades recently tho not much I want to play in all honesty.

I think it would be a terrible idea & it would totally kill gaming for a lot of people & unless it was offset by making games a lot cheaper would kill any new console that employed such a tactic but that's just my personal opinion so probably not worth a jot lol.

Last edited:

PanasonicFan18

Standard Member
hasn't this discussion been done to death lately :boring:,anyone who uses secondhand games should be hung drawn & quartered :rolleyes: ho what it must be like to be a millionaire & be able to pay absolute top dollar for everything, unfortunately in this day & age that's not the case & a lot of people just would never play a lot of the games if this happened & i agree with Maj I'm pretty sure it would drive people to even more piracy :thumbsdow which cant be a good thing.

Do you purchase used games? yes sometimes lets face it some of the games are just not worth paying top whack for :rolleyes:

most of my games I buy new, but I do trade my games at times to make up a bit on a new purchase but tbh have not done any trades recently tho not much I want to play in all honesty.

I think it would be a terrible idea & it would totally kill gaming for a lot of people & unless it was offset by making games a lot cheaper would kill any new console that employed such a tactic but that's just my personal opinion so probably not worth a jot lol.
Sorry if I'm sort of flogging a dead horse around here with the topic.

I'm in a similar position I tend to sell or trade in but its rare I buy a second hand game, I've got no problem with doing it but I tend to find the prices on second hand games round where I live are more expensive than they are new online.

Alex_976

Novice Member
I never buy used games. For a number of reasons.
1, I'd like the money I pay to go to the developer and not 100% to the store.
2, I Like the game/instruction book/case to be untouched/spoilt.
3, I love the 10 minute battle to get into plastic covering.

Now before I get called a "millionaire & be able to pay absolute top dollar for everything" I use my brain when buying. The games I want to play day one I get day one. Usually there are many good pre-order deals avalible if you get in early enough, various voucher codes and going through sites like quidco make it much cheaper.
Anything else I want i'll wait until they drop down in price. Currently i'm waiting for Catherine to drop sub £20. I don't mind waiting i've got more than enough to play and when you add in XBLA i've got too much to play!

I can't believe how cheap games are this gen. I have less disposable income now than I did in the Dreamcast/PS2 era yet I have nearly 3 times as many games.

I never normally trade in games. Though I did for the first ever last week to take advantage of Game's trade 3 games get an extra £10 deal. But this was purely because I have too many games to play. I've picked up so many cheaply i'm never gonna get round to playing them.

If people pay the full RRP for games in this day and age with the internet as powerful as it is then frankly they deserved to be ripped off.

The blocking of 2nd hand games doesn't affect me nor do the 'online passes'
- The only thing that affects me is when good developers get shut down because of poor sales.

I do wonder if Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft got to together and all 3 agreed to prevent second hand games working on their next systems what the general public would do and how sales would be effected.

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
I tend to buy new games over pre owned.
I have bought a few pre owned games recently though, but that was more to do with using up Gamestation reward points.

A couple of pre owned games I've bought have been to replace those that I've regretted selling.

Seeing as I don't buy many games now and concentrate on games I know I'll enjoy replaying, I prefer new games over pre owned and don't mind paying £35-£40 a game.

TcT Sid

Distinguished Member
Its all well and good people saying they dont mind buying new games. What happens us with children or more than one Xbox? Are we now expected to buy another copy of a game just so it can be used on another console in the same house?

The online passes werent a problem because getting in touch with say EA and they always give me another online pass free.

Bamford38

Banned
Its all well and good people saying they dont mind buying new games. What happens us with children or more than one Xbox? Are we now expected to buy another copy of a game just so it can be used on another console in the same house?

The online passes werent a problem because getting in touch with say EA and they always give me another online pass free.
I think people are playing down how many used games they buy to be honest.
Everyone wants to seem like they only buy new games to help the devs etc.
But you only have to look at the classified sections on these very forums to see a small glimpse of how huge the second hand market is.

I truly dont believe theres anyone who buys 100% new games these days.
Sure, people buy new if they want a game on day one. But pretty much everyone will wait for a game they werent too bothered about to be sold second hand and pick it up on the cheap.
At the end of the day, nobody is going to pass up a bargain if they see one.

Captain Speedy

I think people are playing down how many used games they buy to be honest.
Everyone wants to seem like they only buy new games to help the devs etc.
But you only have to look at the classified sections on these very forums to see a small glimpse of how huge the second hand market is.

Sure, people buy new if they want a game on day one. But pretty much everyone will wait for a game they werent too bothered about to be sold second hand and pick it up on the cheap.
At the end of the day, nobody is going to pass up a bargain if they see one.
I bought some pre-owned games when Game looked like it was going down the drain and that was the first time in years I have bought pre-owned this generation.

Sid made the comments about having children to pay for as well and that's perfectly fair but I personally don't look for bargains. If I want a game i will buy it, I wont see if it comes down in price in a few months to save a tenner, also if I am looking at a game that I want but I know its cheaper online I will probably buy the more expensive version just because I want it then and there.

Beetlejuice

I must be in the minority because I very rarely buy a game new, unless it's a title I really want.

The majority of my purchases are made on these forums and it's very rare you receive a title in less than excellent condition.

Generally, it's my birthday / Christmas etc when I receive brand new games as friends and relatives purchase them for me.

hoyteamx

Novice Member
I`m all for free markets so used games are all good. Devs have been giving fans good reason to pick up games new (limited editions, exclusive content...) Even if you think devs haven`t then they`ll either get there in the end or shut up shop.

And seriously, most new games these days always come out below retail price and get reduced even further within weeks.

PanasonicFan18

Standard Member
One thing that annoys me is when I go into say Blockbuster, they have a "new" copy of a game, but its already been opened, stickered up etc. Then they have a used copy that basically looks identical for less money.

I think i its being sold as new it should be sealed, if not then in my eyes its not actually new.

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
Bamford38 said:
Up until I had a huge clear out early last year, I only ever bought new.
I'm fussy with the condition of the disc.
I don't even buy from places I know open new games and remove the disc.

And as I said, I've recently bought a few pre owned games.
Two of which were replacements for games I got rid of and then regretted some time later.
I was lucky enough that the discs were in good condition.

I only buy games I know I will like and play again.
Any other titles I'm interested in, which I consider to be games I'd have bought on impulse in the past, I rent.

Bamford38

Banned
Up until I had a huge clear out early last year, I only ever bought new.
I'm fussy with the condition of the disc.
I don't even buy from places I know open new games and remove the disc.

And as I said, I've recently bought a few pre owned games.
Two of which were replacements for games I got rid of and then regretted some time later.
I was lucky enough that the discs were in good condition.

I only buy games I know I will like and play again.
Any other titles I'm interested in, which I consider to be games I'd have bought on impulse in the past, I rent.
So technically, what i said was true.

:D

TcT Sid

Distinguished Member
Sid made the comments about having children to pay for as well and that's perfectly fair but I personally don't look for bargains. If I want a game i will buy it, I wont see if it comes down in price in a few months to save a tenner, also if I am looking at a game that I want but I know its cheaper online I will probably buy the more expensive version just because I want it then and there.
Its like i bought Sniper Elite V2 new this week, ive played it on my Xbox and then my son took it and played it on his Xbox. If these mentioned plans go ahead he wouldnt be able to do that. IMO that would be bull :thumbsdow

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
Sid skills said:
Its like i bought Sniper Elite V2 new this week, ive played it on my Xbox and then my son took it and played it on his Xbox. If these mentioned plans go ahead he wouldnt be able to do that. IMO that would be bull :thumbsdow
Yeah, this kind of thing was also brought up in the DD thread.

Any method that restricts a persons game usage to a single console is a killer.

It would not only affect the pre owned market but also the rental market and ultimately the games market in general.

Without options people are less likely to take risks in new IPs or even existing franchises.

Personally, if there were restrictions on games and you couldn't rent or borrow it even sell on unwanted games, I'd be playing far less games.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Sid skills said:
I thought games/DVDs etc were bought with a 'no loan, rent etc' disclaimer? Maybe we're just too used to not following the rules and companies are now trying to enforce them

BluWarfareHD09

I don't tend to buy pre owned but have you tried buying older games new, such as the darkness and quake 4(I know this is getting a re release but at the moment) new, you can but you would be paying a premium.

hoyteamx

Novice Member
I don't tend to buy pre owned but have you tried buying older games new, such as the darkness and quake 4(I know this is getting a re release but at the moment) new, you can but you would be paying a premium.
Good point. I tried buying a couple older games new recently and couldn`t even find them. I had no choice but to buy them used. Which ever side of the fence people sit on, taking away the choice isn`t good.

m1ket

With a Crytek dev recently saying that it would be "absolutely awsome" if second hand games were blocked from being used on consoles (link), I was wondering what peoples opinions are on second hand games.

Yes

Yes

No

If they are to not allow used games them i expect to price of games to drop by 50%

I buy new a lot of the time but i know i would not buy some games at all if i couldn't trade it afterwards

Last edited:

I Spiritus I

If it's a game I really want and can't really wait for it then yeah I will get it new on day of release but if I don't mind waiting for a bit I'll get it pre-owned. (Unless ofcourse I can get new in a sale).

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
Rorifett said:
I thought games/DVDs etc were bought with a 'no loan, rent etc' disclaimer? Maybe we're just too used to not following the rules and companies are now trying to enforce them
I think that rule/law is mainly aimed at the idea of making money from lending.
With DVDs you can't really lock one to a particular player as even if you don't lend it out of your home, you're bound to use a different player, i.e. going between your living room and bedroom.

AnimalOfAnarchy

Most of the games I buy are pre-owned and are in brilliant condition, might I add. Whenever I buy something pre-owned, unless it's below a fiver, I always look at the condition of the disc, the manual and ask if there's DLC with it to which, sometimes, there has been. My most recent one from Cash Converters where I got DLC was Medal of Honor, where I got the online pass for free.

I trade in if it's a fair price and a price I'd sell them for anyway but I normally sell them. I normally trade games for games but I've started getting a bit of a collection. The last time I traded was to get Modern Warfare 3 on it's first day, to which I also got a free poster with it.

I think it's the worst idea ever alongside having to pay for the online pass. Knowing EA, they'll love this idea and use it. Some people can't afford to buy new games all of the time. I don't hold a grudge against people who do but I'm just saying that not everybody can afford it all of the time. I adore gaming and I love playing games but I can't afford to pay £40 for the games all of the time so I wait until they're cheaper. It's okay to buy them sometimes but not for every single game. I mean, would you honestly pay full price for something like Eragon or even Mortal Kombat? If I were to pay £40 for a game, it would have to be a game I wouldn't be bored of for ages. There have been some absolutely terrible games out this year that are £40 and in no way should anybody pay that much.

Would it not affect you at all?
Yeah, it would affect me quite a lot really. I like playing some of the old games like Condemned and I want to play some of the old 360 games that I missed out on because I was late in getting a 360 and you can't really buy these brand-new anymore.

I just hope that the whole 'blocking pre-owned games' thing never happens. :(

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
The recurring theme here seems to be 'i can't afford to play all the games which are released so I trade in to afford them' - I'm maybe of a different mindset but where does it say anywhere that we have the 'right' to play/buy everything we want?

Each to their own with how people buy games but this assumption that we deserve whatever we want is way wide of the mark to me

mckee74

I gave up buying new games a while back.

I was tired of getting burned. I remember pre-ordering Bioshock 2 for about £35, and I was happy with that. Wasn't that long though before it was £20 second hand, hell not that long till it was £20 new!

Same thing happened with Mass Effect 2, La Noire, Alien vs Predator, Fallout... so I find it easier these days just to be patient.

Bamford38

Banned
The recurring theme here seems to be 'i can't afford to play all the games which are released so I trade in to afford them' - I'm maybe of a different mindset but where does it say anywhere that we have the 'right' to play/buy everything we want?

Each to their own with how people buy games but this assumption that we deserve whatever we want is way wide of the mark to me
Im not sure i get what you mean.
Are you saying we shouldnt be allowed to buy or sell used games?

Of course we have the right to buy whatever we want, if there is a means.
If youre low on cash, then the means is ebay or whatever.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Bamford38 said:
Im not sure i get what you mean.
Are you saying we shouldnt be allowed to buy or sell used games?
No, if you read my post I say each to their own I was merely commenting that people are saying they couldn't afford to get all the new games without a trade in system in place and I was wondering why people think they have a 'right' to all the new shiny in the first instance

Bamford38

Banned
No, if you read my post I say each to their own I was merely commenting that people are saying they couldn't afford to get all the new games without a trade in system in place and I was wondering why people think they have a 'right' to all the new shiny in the first instance
Oh right, i get ya :smashin:

I dont think people think its their right to have all the new games, its just something they want.

Im sure if someone was so hard up for cash at the time of a new release they couldnt afford it, even with a trade in price. They wouldnt kick off because there isnt a buy now pay later scheme or something.

At least, i dont think they would.

AnimalOfAnarchy

I don't get new games in the first instance but I wait for a couple or a few months because usually they go so low in price. I got LA Noiere for a fiver and all I did was wait for about 4 month or something.