opinions on Rotel A11 tribute amp driving wharfedale Denton 85th anniversary speakers (4ohm)

rainstel109

Standard Member
Reaction score
I Know theres a few threads on here regarding the rotel A11 amp, but I was wondering what the opinions here would be regarding driving a pair of wharfedale Denton 85th anniv speakers. They're 4 ohm jobbies, but they don't appear to be problematical when driving them with a cambridge Audio AXA35 (35w/channel into 8 ohms). I don't tend to listen at very high volumes (neighbours, wife, dog an' all that). Now, I really like the midrange on these speakers, but having lost a bit of high frequency off my hearing (old age) an amp that "pushes" the treble a bit might be beneficial as I have a tendency to raise the treble one notch on average to compensate and all is good. So assuming (after a demo) that the Rotel gives me the sound I like, what, if any, problems might I encounter with this combo re the 4ohm load of these speakers?

Hello. Power wise, you’ve nothing to worry about. The Rotel is listed at 50W but has been tested as capable of delivering over 75W so, like all Rotels, it has an excellent power supply so it will drive the Wharfedales without any problem.
I‘ve heard the Rotel and it’s a very good amplifier: controlled, detailed and very neutral. I was never a fan of the anniversary Denton, finding it a by thick and syrupy, but that’s my personal opinion. If you’re enjoying them then the Rotel will do a fine job and I believe it has a tone boost facility for lower volume listening.

Hi,

I own the Rotel A11 Tribute and can vouch for the fact that it has plenty of power to drive a speaker like the Denon 85th. If you like a bright top end, the Rotel A11 Tribute may not be the amp for you...its very balanced and neutral sounding, with slightly recessed but well defined bass and a clear midrange and treble, but not to the point of pushing these up or forward. My experience of pairing these with several speakers, including the Dali Oberon 5s, Monitor Audio Bronze 2, 5, 100 and 500, the Silver 200s, as well as the Wharfedale 12.3s, is that they bring out what's already in the speaker, rather than changing it. If the speaker is bright, you'll know its bright. If its rich and thick, you'll get that. I haven't heard the Denton 85s, but if they have a rolled off top end, I don't think the Rotel will boost that. The only way you'll know is to try. If you like a clear, slightly bright top end, with plenty of bass, I can recommend the Dali Oberon 5s with the Rotel. It wasn't a pairing I enjoyed, a little too forward and bright for me, but if that's what you are after, then it may be worth an audition.

Good luck with your search :)

If you google Denton 85th review and read the article from HiFi World, you'll see that the Denton has good sensitivity and will be driven to loud volumes even by amps with modest power outputs (albeit with as you say with a lower resistance loading than some). The Rotel should cope absolutely fine. The measured frequency output suggests that the speaker is a little brighter than some (and this was confirmed during the listening part of the review) - dull is not what this speaker is. It should be a good pairing!

Just remembered a review where the reviewer paired the Rotel with several speakers, including the Denton 85s. He said the Dentons were a little on the forward and bright side, which he didn't like, but that may work well for you. The link is here below:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to worry about. I could be wrong but don’t Rotel build their own transformer?

Ok picked up the Rotel A11 tribute this morning and putting it through it's paces, got loads of vinyl which I bought in the 70s and 80s, all original, and all I can say, strewth, I didn't know an amp could make such a difference! I can now hear all the treble I like to, high hats and cymbals have that "hissing decay" after they've been hit, snare drums have a real bite now, and the bass if fuller but more controlled though I'll have to experiment with speaker placement (difficult though as I'm really stuck for room) and, best of all, the midrange doesn't seem to be effected at all by the more noticeable top end. All in all, a result today and if anyone is looking to replace their amplifier, in the £500 price rage, I'd deffo put this on a short list. Overall, very happy indeed.

Now I just need to somehow get a sub in the house without swmbo noticing!

Ok picked up the Rotel A11 tribute this morning and putting it through it's paces, got loads of vinyl which I bought in the 70s and 80s, all original, and all I can say, strewth, I didn't know an amp could make such a difference! I can now hear all the treble I like to, high hats and cymbals have that "hissing decay" after they've been hit, snare drums have a real bite now, and the bass if fuller but more controlled though I'll have to experiment with speaker placement (difficult though as I'm really stuck for room) and, best of all, the midrange doesn't seem to be effected at all by the more noticeable top end. All in all, a result today and if anyone is looking to replace their amplifier, in the £500 price rage, I'd deffo put this on a short list. Overall, very happy indeed.

Now I just need to somehow get a sub in the house without swmbo noticing!
Awesome. I really enjoy my A11 Tribute...its great value for money. I'm glad you like yours too. Great result :) Enjoy the music...

Can’t find the Tribute here where I live, only the normal 11. I am considering the A14 MK2, mostly because of the digital inputs.

Still I am wondering if the Rotel is better in bass then my PM8006, probably...

Can’t find the Tribute here where I live, only the normal 11. I am considering the A14 MK2, mostly because of the digital inputs.

Still I am wondering if the Rotel is better in bass then my PM8006, probably...
I'm not sure if the A11 Tribute will best a £1200 amp. The bass it produces, to me, is well controlled, with a nice impact and natural quality, but is a little recessed compared to other amps I have heard of a similar price, or even lower prices. Your amp looks awesome. I'd have gone for Marantz myself, its just visual aspect of the design I'm not keen on...looks a bit like a Transformer to me;) I'm sure it sounds great though :)

I'm not sure if the A11 Tribute will best a £1200 amp. The bass it produces, to me, is well controlled, with a nice impact and natural quality, but is a little recessed compared to other amps I have heard of a similar price, or even lower prices. Your amp looks awesome. I'd have gone for Marantz myself, its just visual aspect of the design I'm not keen on...looks a bit like a Transformer to me;) I'm sure it sounds great though :)
Yes, it looks great. Classic warm full Marantz sound, but little slow compare to other brands. Still you can’t find the perfect amplifier anywhere regardless of price.

Perhaps speakers is my next upgrade. Silver 200. But the shop only have the black finish, I really want the rosewood or the light oak color.

So then my only choice is the new MA range. Too expensive at the moment.

Still I could probably manage buying them. If so it probably we’ll be the last speakers I ever buy;)

hi all
i have ls50 meta with pioneer a50 da
The sound of the pioneer is a little too polite for my taste
Do you think ROTEL would be more suitable?
In terms of power I have no problem
thanks shay

hi all
thanks shay
Hi,

I haven't heard the LS50 Metas myself, but all the reviewers I have seen who paired the A11 Tribute with the Metas said it was not a great pairing. I believe they all said it lacked the power to really get the best out of them. I am sure they sounded fine, but if these dudes are correct, then there may be better amps for the Metas.

The Rotel is quite polite and modest. Not an extravert, for sure. If you are looking for something exciting then it may not be for you.

I would recommend doing a demo to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.
The pioneer is only 2*65
Class d amp, and the power is more than OK

Wow.
The pioneer is only 2*65
Class d amp, and the power is more than OK
I know. The Rotel is officially rated as 50w per channel, but independent tests showed this is a very conservative figure and it is actually more like 70w. So, its very close to the Pioneer you have. But numbers are just numbers. Some 50w amps sound strong as all get out. Some sound weak. There's a lot to it.

I haven't heard the LS50s myself, and was only sharing opinions 2nd hand. I recommend have a demo to see if it works for you. The Rotel is a great amp (I own one) and it may well work. My only uncertainty lies in several people making the same observation.

hi all
thanks shay
The Cyrus One is a good match with the LS50's and it won't break the bank. It has plenty of power at 100wpc and and drives the LS50's with ease. I had this combination for a while and really enjoyed it.

hi all
thanks shay

I run the original LS50s with the Rotel A11 Tribute. Works great for me (a few Youtube reviewers tested the amp with Kefs and reported well). For the £500 ish price range, I struggled to find something that was sonically as adept with enough power (as has already been stated above I think, the Rotel outputs a lot more than its rated 50W, so power isn't an issue). Of course you lose out in terms of connectivity, but if you want a pure analogue amp which pours all its energy into (warming/joyful) sound reproduction, I think the A11 works, at least unless your budget is twice as high.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom