Opinions on receiver to be used as processor.

ddlooping

Hi all. :)

I have an old Harman Kardon AVI250 Pro-Logic THX amp, which has 5.1 inputs.
In your opinion, would it be a good idea to get a decent mid-range receiver to use as a processor in conjunction with the HK power-amps?
If yes, what receiver would you suggest?
How would such a setup compare to higher-range receivers (specifically a Denon AVC1AD)?

Used for: 80% HC / 20% music

Speakers: Mission 774, Gale center, Boston VRS-Micro rears.
DVD players: Pioneer DV626D; Denon 3800 (which I might be selling to upgrade my tv).

TIA. ;)

Rolo Tomasi

Novice Member
I've considered this and, when there are enough useful new sound formats available, I might follow this route. My HK receiver also has direct inputs to the amps and 5.1 / 7.1 inputs as well.

My idea would be to purchase a processor and use it entirely for pre/pro duties or just HT ones. Rotel's forthcoming RSP 1068 looks promising for this. HK have a good reputation for amplification and it seems a pity to start from scratch when, in essence, you have a perfectly good multi-channel power amp already.

I can't speak with any authority on how such a combo would compare to other 'higher spec' receivers but I suspect that it would be favourable. Perhaps others could contribute on this point.

ddlooping

Thanks Rolo. :)

The main problem I can actually see with such a setup is the amount of leads neccessary when listening to multi-channels SACD/DVD-Audio; the solution would be to get a receiver with i.Link and a compatible DVD player.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom