1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on receiver to be used as processor.

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by ddlooping, Feb 10, 2004.

1. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all. :)

I have an old Harman Kardon AVI250 Pro-Logic THX amp, which has 5.1 inputs.
    In your opinion, would it be a good idea to get a decent mid-range receiver to use as a processor in conjunction with the HK power-amps?
    If yes, what receiver would you suggest?
    How would such a setup compare to higher-range receivers (specifically a Denon AVC1AD)?

Used for: 80% HC / 20% music

Speakers: Mission 774, Gale center, Boston VRS-Micro rears.
    DVD players: Pioneer DV626D; Denon 3800 (which I might be selling to upgrade my tv).

TIA. ;)

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've considered this and, when there are enough useful new sound formats available, I might follow this route. My HK receiver also has direct inputs to the amps and 5.1 / 7.1 inputs as well.

My idea would be to purchase a processor and use it entirely for pre/pro duties or just HT ones. Rotel's forthcoming RSP 1068 looks promising for this. HK have a good reputation for amplification and it seems a pity to start from scratch when, in essence, you have a perfectly good multi-channel power amp already.

I can't speak with any authority on how such a combo would compare to other 'higher spec' receivers but I suspect that it would be favourable. Perhaps others could contribute on this point.

3. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Rolo. :)

The main problem I can actually see with such a setup is the amount of leads neccessary when listening to multi-channels SACD/DVD-Audio; the solution would be to get a receiver with i.Link and a compatible DVD player.