1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on Realmagic Hollywood Plus on TV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zoolap, Feb 1, 2002.

1. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I was wondering if anyone here has a Realmagic Hollywood plus and what their opinions were on image quality when linked to tv via svideo. Mine is not in my main pc at the moment so I can't test it out. I remember the main problem was that if you were using the tv-out there was no way to see the desktop than to have a monitor plugged into the vga card or to have a tv-out on the vga card connected to another socket on the tv. I have a Loewe vitros, no vga socket though. The advantage with the hollywood plus is that i can put it in an old lower spec machine.

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the pic from the h+ on a tv is great . every bit as good as a standalone dvd player if you ask me .

you are right about it only outputing the dvd image though . you will need a mon hooked up aswell so you can use it or a tv out on the vid card :(

3. Piya

Piya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zoolap,
    I had been using the excellent H+ for almost two years (it compares
    very well to the mid-price standalone players at that time for a
    fraction of the price) before I moved to a HCPC based on software dvd
    players such as Power DVD, WinDVD, etc.
    The picture improvement of this progressive scan signal over the
    interlaced s-video from H+ is significant. You get the film-like picture
    which can be futher improved by newer graphic cards and software
    players.
    I haven't visited the SigmaDesigns newsgroup recently, I wonder they
    sort out the drivers problems yet. When I used the H+ with 1.82 driver,
    I have stuterring and freezing problems from time to time.
    Regards

Athlon 750Hz
    ECS K7s5a(011215 bios)
    256Mb DDR PC2100
    IBM 40Gb 7200rpm
    Toshiba 1402
    Generic Radeon VE 64mb DDR(7199 driver)
    Trust 5.1 Sound Expert(CMI8738 with coax and optical daughter board)
    300w psu
    Windows 98se
    Zoomplayer 2.4, Cinemaster engine4.0
    Grundig Xentia 32" direct view flat widescreen TV with vga input @856x48

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,264
    if you use the H+ card and its s-video output, changing your VGA card will not make any difference at all!!

As the H+ is a hardware decoder card, with s-video and digital audio out. If you use the VGa card to output the dvd signal, then you are using the overlay signal of the H+, and this is rubbish quality. Only use overlay if you have no other choice.

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i actualy use my h+ at 1024X768 75hz to run my crt projector and am quite happy with it .

i have the latest 2.3 drivers (the dts output is handy) if you try to just use it as is it tends to flutter and jurk ect . a bit of fine tunning in the setup menu though and it looks more than ok .

i have tryed most software dvd players powerdvd windvd ect and i have allways thought they had a lot of grain and more stepping than i like . plus i have never been able to get the spdif out to work on my sound card . so i have just stuck with the h+

most people have a lot bad to say about the h+. i have nothing but good things to say .

another big advantage of the h+ is that i only realy have room for one pc in the room . this is what i use for everything . with the h+ i can have things running in the background . downloads ect and still get very smooth playback . this is not acheivable with the software players . have anything running with these and you have nothing but problems :(