1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on PCI Express

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by runningback, Mar 7, 2005.

1. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a new gaming PC, comes down to two choices really, both
    AMD Athlon 64, 1gig ram, etc.

question is should i go for the new technology (PCI Express) with a ATI x600 or
    the good old AGP with the ATI 9800 PRO ?

I know that the x600 is not so high end but the budget won't allow the x800 yet, i would have the Express bus though to upgrade later.

I'm not a hardcore gamer but i've got a fair amount of new games that i want to play, obviously with as many details as possible.

What would the more knowledgeable gamer recommend ?

thanks,
    runningback

2. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    If you want to 'future proof' your system go PCI express. ATi and Nvidia will be releasing the next gen of hardware on AGP, but PCI-E will be out before the AGP versions and be cheaper. Plus you won't have to fork out for a new motherboard when you eventually do buy a PCI-E gfx card down the line (assuming u bought an AGP mobo and gfx card now).

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment the advantage of PCI-e over AGP is more theory than practise. However, AGP is going to be dropped so it's best to futureproof and get PCI-e, because it won't be too long before AGP is a thing of the past. I get the feeling that, especially with AMD, the current socket 939 will be a mainstay for some time so a purchase of a winchester cored AMD3000+ with a PCI-e mobo would be a sound investment and may actually carry for while longer than previous generations have, especially now that core speeds have stagnated somewhat. If it was my money it would be AMD 64 3000+ Winchester core and a PCI-e motherboard.

4. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thx Tigerblade and Laurel&Hardy , i will order a PCI-e version from Komplett with a ATI x700 today. :clap: