1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on Panasonic TX28PL10?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by yellowmoon, Mar 22, 2002.

Tags:
  1. yellowmoon

yellowmoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having spent several weeks browsing this site. I know I'm not the only one to find difficulty in choosing the perfect 28" widescreen.

I almost went for the JVC AV-28WFT1, which seems to be very highly regarded. The stumbling block for me was that it is being dis-continued, and none of the branches of John Lewis I tried could supply it. Because of their 5 year guarantee and after-sales service, I realised I would only have peace of mind buying from JL, so therefore my choice effectively was from the range of T.V.'s they stocked.

Anyway, I finally ordered a Panasonic TX28PL10 (28"widescreen, flatscreen, 100Hz) and I think I got a pretty good price at £639. Also got a NVFJ710 VCR to go with it for £179.

Now I'm waiting for delivery, I'd be interested in anyone else's opinions, good or bad. I'm particularly keen to hear from anyone that owns this TV, as opposed to people who've just seen it in the shops.

2. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this set alongside a NVHS820BS svhs VCR and I am very happy with them I won't say the TV is perfect (read the postings on other Tau sets) but I can honestly say any "problems" I have with my set are minor (at least in my opinion) and do not interfere with my viewing pleasure. I watch DVD through a Panasonic SCHT70 all in one system via svideo and the picture is more than good enough for me. I am sure you will get differing views but at the end of the day you must please yourself and trust your own eyes and ears, if you can live with the set what else matters? I paid £162 for the VCR (price matched) and about the same as you or slightly less for the TV I can't remember exactly also from JL. Good luck and enjoy!!:)

3. yellowmoon

yellowmoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Blackbull,
    Thanks for the reply. Glad that you're happy with your choice.

I think you're absolutely right in saying at the end of the day you must please yourself. It's clear from reading the messages here for a while that there is no "perfect" T.V. that suits everyone, and at the end of the day no-one else is going to make a decision for you.

Ultimately, you've just got to make your choice and jump in. (And at least I know that if I find I've made the wrong choice, John Lewis will probably be O.K. about changing it!)

4. tking

tking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how come the TX-28PL10 was so cheap?, was it a price match? and if so who did they price match it with?.

Thanks

5. yellowmoon

yellowmoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I didn't ask them to price match, that's the display price.

The salesman did say the price had been reduced a couple of times - which I assumed was to match prices elsewhere. Also, that it was on sale at a higher price at other John Lewis stores. I bought from John Lewis, Watford, by the way. So if you want it and see it elsewhere at a higher price, ask them to match £639.

(Still haven't taken delivery, by the way. The T.V. was in stock, but the VCR was out of stock. I was waiting to get them both together, but they've now told me the VCR has been replaced by a new model.)

6. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I have just been doing some tidying up and I came across my reciept for the TV and I paid only £579 for the tv!! I,ll try and remember how I got it so cheap. Firstly I bought My TV, VCR and DVD all in one system at the same time (or at least ordered at the same time, Panasonic had just had a warehouse fire so there was some delay on the TV ) Panasonic were doing a promotion of £100 off if you bought a TX28 and one of their DVD players at the same time and I was told originally told by JL that they would also pricematch aswell. I saw this as meaning Panasonic would reimburse the retailer the extra £100 discount.
    Anyway I purchased the DVD and the VCR that day (17.12.01) at £450 and £162 respectively priced matched with Sound and Vision in Bolton and I was told they would also price match the TX28PL10 and then also give me a further £100 discount when it was back in stock which meant the TV would have cost about £540!! Obviously I was very pleased with this.

In the meantime I got a letter from JL saying that they had reduced the price of the SC-HT70 to £299 and would reimburse my JL account accordingly!! (they'll do that in the 28 days after puchase) So once I had stopped smiling like a Cheshire cat I started thinking about going up to the 32" model with all the cash I'd saved so I got a price from Sound and Vision and went to JL saying I would go up a model if they would pricematch again. Yes was the answer so I thought I would be getting the TV for around £750 but when asked for the extra £100 off to get it down to this price I was the informed that I couldn't have both the pricematch and the Panasonic discount only on or the other. Unfortunatley this meant I would of had to break my budget of £1200 for the TV,DVD and VCR so went back to the 28"model and chose to go for the £100 of the JL price of £679 as this offered the greater discount.

7. tking

tking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks yellowmoon for the advice.

My girlfriend and I have just bought the TX-28PL10 from John Lewis in Peterborough.. priced at £795.
    We asked them to price match it which they did, also free delivery and as standard 5 year warranty, this would have cost a grand all in at somewhere like miller bothers.
    One problem is they will only give you 24 hrs to return if you dont like it otherwise they charge 10%, we managed to get 48 hrs which is better than nothing after asking to speak to the manager and after the price match, all in all a good day i think.

8. yellowmoon

yellowmoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a good deal on the price! I just hope you like the T.V.

Let me know how you get on.

yellowmoon