1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opinions on my new website, please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mr jones, May 1, 2005.

1. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    simple viewer is nice and clean, though personally i know several people who use it so its kind of lost its edge to me, Your site looks good though, well done!

3. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    when i get my head sorted out with flash and start working through the sourcecode for simpleviewer im gonna change it quite a bit

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    My wife has less than perfect eye sight and found your site very hard to define, I had to tell her what each of the listings said. The problem seems to be a low contrast between the red background and the broken style of the lettering forming blobs were the text is.

Hope this of help to you. :thumbsup:

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Just had another look through and your portfolio won't display, this could be a lack of plugins at my end though. I have Quicktime installed so ?.

6. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    its flash, it should bring up a "you need flash dude!" page if it doesnt detect shockwave player, but i think i forgot to put the actual page up that says that!

7. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As is ... it's very much beta stage (alpha!!) and I'd rather see something more finished. At the moment it jars with me. I don't like it and wouldn't go past the first page.

It could be personal taste as I have to say I am very much a less is more type when it comes to design and like CLEAN not messy. The main navigation font sucks, but again it's due to personal preference plus poor usability combining to cause irritation.

So many 'music' sites feel the same and I'd prefer to see someone break the mould rather than play safe ... and I think some possible 'customers' would find it hard to see through the strongly imposed style and see your images. More importantly, they may feel your style will submerge their own style.

The gallery will work fine as it's pretty much tried and tested, tho' I think you need better images ... unless you market is drunken grungy male students :rotfl: :rotfl: I would have a variety of image styles from clean to grungy. You need SHARP dynamic images and there are none there as yet.

I'm a fan of Flash and use it 100% in my own business site but, as you know, it can be demanding developmentally compared to HTML. It's worth the effort so keep at it ... :clap: and best of luck.

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had a quick look jay, it's an improvement.

My advice if it counts for anything is to have different sections, portraits/band/lanscapes/still life. But i think i'm teaching you to suck eggs there

I think you might want to make that black text a bit deeper against the red. But i'm liking what i'm seeing on the hole;)