• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Opinions on Monitor Audio Radius

dirge

Established Member
What does everyone think of these speakers?

I'll be setting up a system around a 225 centre two silver series floor standers and two radius surround speakers.

Does anyone have these at home? happy with them? or did they feel the need to upgrade straight away etc?

jhkuo

Established Member
Yes, I have similar setup, R180 as centre, RS5s as front and two R90 for surround. I also have Denon 2106.

When I listen to music in pure direct mode, the good MA Sliver floorstanders produce clear sound with pretty good bass. The R90s and R180 do pretty good job in movies as surround and centre speakers.

My room is 12x11ft and I find my configuration is quite capable in this environment. I guess the only itchyness I have would be to get a dedicated stereo amp to enhance the music experience.

Xan

Established Member
I am currently in the middle of setting up my MA's, I've 3 x R225, 2 x R90, 1 x R45 and the R360 Sub in my 6.1 setup, these will be connected to a Denon 1906 receiver, they sound great in the shop, I will let you know how they sound at home once installed.

Regards, Xan.

stuman

Established Member
im using a pair of r90's in a stereo for a bedroom system, couldnt be happier. better resolutin than my old B&W dm601 s3's and better soundstaging. however they lack bass ithout help from a subwoofer. however i watch films on this setup aswell so a sub was always on the shopping list.

Paul Mela

Established Member
As you can see in me sig below I have got thr R270's, R180 and R90's all in black to match me pio and I am extremely happy with them

Falp

Established Member
jhkuo said:
Yes, I have similar setup, R180 as centre, RS5s as front and two R90 for surround. I also have Denon 2106.

When I listen to music in pure direct mode, the good MA Sliver floorstanders produce clear sound with pretty good bass. The R90s and R180 do pretty good job in movies as surround and centre speakers.

My room is 12x11ft and I find my configuration is quite capable in this environment. I guess the only itchyness I have would be to get a dedicated stereo amp to enhance the music experience.
jhkuo,

What amp are you using?

Thanks...

P.S:: Sorry... I see it's a Denon 2106...!

Doesn't the R180 lack "weight" next to the R5?

jhkuo

Established Member
hehe, yes, you are right about R180 lacking weight next to RS5, but only slightly, I set the centre channel to +2.0db in the 2106 amp level config and it seems to work ok for me.

Falp

Established Member
What xover freuqeuency? 80, 100 Hz?

I wanted the same... but RS1 + R180 + R90...

Then I bought the AG Gallo Micro for rears and I'm considering AG Micro Ti or Adiva Ti for center...;)

jhkuo

Established Member
I left the cross over frequency at default, 80Hz, mind you that I don't have a sub though, I am not into heavy bass and RS5 does enough bass for me.

Falp

Established Member
Do they do a correct tonal match?

Malky1903

Established Member
Yesterday I got a demo at Sevenoaks of 5 x R225's. Played the usual SPR and they sounded very good. Of course, in a large room with an 8' screen and lots of volume, they're going to sound quite impressive anyway. Put my order in anyway and will get them on Tuesday.

jhkuo

Established Member
Falp said:
Do they do a correct tonal match?

I am not a critical listener, but they sound ok to me.

If there is any specific test you want me do, let me know.

ps. I was going for RSCLR originally, but it's way too big and doesn't fit in front of my LCD TV... :rolleyes:

samip

Established Member
I went to my local hi-fi shop this weekend and they recommended a set up using R180's for all 5 speakers (wall mounted). Has anyone done that ? Seems like the R180 are a superior speaker to the R90 so should get better sound ? Given the cheap price on Peter Tyson , I don't mind paying the extra for the R180's

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/monitoraudio/radiusseries/index.shtml

Grateful for any feedback on the Radius range from existing users !

Neil Davidson

Prominent Member
AVForums Sponsor
R180 has a few hertz extra depth than the 90 which should make integrating the sub at 80Hz possible. A matched set of speakers all round is a good idea as it assures good tonal balance right around the room.

Neil

Dodgy_Geezer

Prominent Member
I auditioned a pair of MA Radius 270's at a dealers shop and the sound was pretty awful as a stereo speaker. They were hooked up to a Teac component system and both DAB and CD were muddy with no weight or clarity to the sound. Bass wasn't too bad for a slimline speaker and the finish was beautiful however I wouldn't just go out and buy these puppies without a more detailed audition.

Regards,

DG

ahh

Standard Member
I have had the Radius range for a couple of years now and am very happy with the sound quality. I used the R180's for the left, ctr, right and the R90's for the rear surrounds.

The system is being driven by a Denon 3805.

Xan

Established Member
I've had my MA's for over a month now and I am quite happy with the sound, both for movies and music. I'm running them with a Denon 1906, I didnt want to spend too much on an amp as I intend coverting the garage at some stage for movie watching so I didnt want to go over board, with the MA's sounding as good as they do now I'm tempted to upgrade the amp to see if they will improve further.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom