Question Opinions on Mission LX-4

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by nangalvivek, Dec 16, 2018.

1. nangalvivek

nangalvivek
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to know if anyone has any experience with Mission LX-4. I couldn't find any review of this particular model anywhere.

PS - Is Mission a well regarded brand?

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,670
    I've found this online, not so much a review more of an overview:
    Mission's new LX speaker series - The Audiophile Man

Bit more information is needed from you. How big is the room, where will the speakers be positioned, what are you driving them with. Sometimes a floorstanding speaker will not work as good within a room as a standmount on good stands.

I've had Missions in the past, M73i floorstanders and they served a purpose with the Onkyo amp that was driving them and with that combination I couldn't really fault them. As for the LX4 they could be considered to be the entrant level of floorstanders and a lot will depend on your connected as to whether they are suitable.

3. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Like many other British brands, Mission have now been bought out by the Chinese-owned International Audio Group but they are still a very well re-regarded brand, just as they have been ever since they started out in the 1970's. As far as I remember, back in the 70's, the were the go-to brand for affordable, proper hi-fi for the normal working person who'd saved up some of their hard-earned cash. I remember them being the first proper hifi I'd ever heard when my dad got some Mission Speakers and a Sansui amplifier in the 70's when I was a kid, and that's what got me into the hobby.

A pair of Mission 'bookshelf' speakers (the QX2 ) has just won the AV Forums award for best speakers of the year 2018 under £1000. Some of their floor standing speakers over the years have also been multiple award winners from various magazines.

However, not every model of Mission speakers over the years has been especially outstanding and I would check out the ones you're interesting in by comparing them against other well-regarded speakers you can afford.

You should also consider whether you'd be better of with floor-standing speakers or bookshelf / stand-mount speakers and the most important factor is the dimensions of your room.

4. nangalvivek

nangalvivek
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @gibbsy Thanks for the reply.
    My room size is 12 ft x 14ft. I will be pairing them with a Yamaha AVR (RXV 581).
    Earlier I was considering bookshelf speakers (Dali Z1/Z3) but then I felt its better to go for floor-standing speakers. Bookshelf speakers hardly lead to any space saving as they need dedicated stands.

5. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Yes, stand-mounted speakers take up just as much space as floor standing speakers; they can in fact have an even larger footprint than floor-standing speakers. And floor standing speakers can be more attractive as they can look more like a piece of furniture. But space-saving isn't the issue.

Apologies if you're already aware of all this, but here goes........ The point is that the stands make no noise whereas the cabinet of a floor-standing speaker contributes to the sound that's being produced, and this can be uncontrolled in a small room, particularly in terms of boomy base that also makes the rest of the frequency range muddled, muddy and congested. What many people are trying to achieve with their hi-fi set-up is to make their kit 'disappear' so that all they hear from the electronics is the music that's present in the source (rather than some kind of manufacturer's 'sonic signature') and what they hear from the speakers sounds as if its located in a 'sound-stage' rather than coming from the speakers themselves. Freeing the music from the speaker cabinets and drivers, so that the speakers don't sound 'boxy', s can be much harder to achieve with floor-standers - and the ones that achieve this tend to be expensive.

Anyway, my guess it that with a 12ft by 14ft room you would probably be just about okay with the Mission LX-4, given that the woofers are 5 inches (which isn't large) and that it's a two-way design, I think (i.e. I'm not entirely sure but it looks to me that both woofers cover the mid-range as well; there's no dedicated bass driver that would produce more powerful lower frequencies). Plus, you have the advantage of using a AVR, which I presume has DSP for 'room correction' which will give you some control over the bass.

Is there a particular reason you're interested in the Missions? I would imagine other people on here will have plenty of other suggestions but I think one obvious contender is the Q Acoustics 3050i, or its predecessor the 3050.

Peter Tyson is currently selling the 3050i for £584 (normally £649) and its predecessor the 3050 for £349 (£200 saving on the original retail price)

There is a brand-new, 'open box' pair of 3050i on sale here at £449:

Q Acoustics 3050i Floorstanding Speakers

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,670
    With now knowing your room size I would suggest you look at pair of standmounts. At the same given price point standmounts can be appreciably better than the equivalent priced floorstanders as there is less construction and material costs. You may very well find that in such a sized room the standmounts will be more sympathetic as to where they are being placed.

Based on UK prices there are a lot of standmounts at the same price as the LX-4s from Bowers and Wilkins 685 S2, Dali Opticon 1, Dynaudio Emit 10, KEF Q150, Monitor Audio Silver 50s. As you can see in the UK the market is crammed with good speakers for around £500. Obviously is down to availability in India and the price versus the Missions.

That would be the right price range to look at with your Yamaha. Are you considering or do have any other speakers for a 5.1 with the receiver as again this could influence choice.

I know that with a stand that standmounts can take up the same footprint, but it's the standmounts versatility in positioning that wins out in a small room. If you can get away with the Missions not being pushed into a corner or back against a wall then they are not too big so that they overpower the room.

My 73is worked fairly well in my room, which is slightly larger than yours, although in honesty the amp was crap. When we moved the room around the left speaker was pushed too far into a corner and the whole audio dynamics changed.