Opinions on Microvee?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by JimBob1971, Feb 9, 2009.

1. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    Hi,

I'm looking to get as small a sub possible for a medium sized room. I've been informed that the Velodyne mini or microvee are pretty small. Obviously they aren't going to be as impressive as bigger subs, but how are they generally viewed, particularly the microvee?

Thanks

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Never heard one so am only guessing, but I can't see them being very good for real sub bass.
    I reckon they might be ok for music, but HT etc, no, imo.

A much better proposition would be an SVS SB12+, but it's 15" * 14" * 14".

Depends which is most important to you, I suppose, deep bass or small size.

3. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Style is still very important to some people badger ol' buddy ol' pal, and does form part of the whole package. God knows you gotta pay for it though, or compromise somewhere:(

Velodyne are supposed to be decent enough but Ive never heard them either. The Rel quake is also supposed to be very good for its size. There are some other alternatives too like perhaps a Kef HTB2 or KIT subwoofer, these should offer better performance than a micro sub but still be compact enough to hide away. You never know you may even want to show them of.

You need to really post a budget though.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
  4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Oh I agree about style, but wouldn't say the SVS is ugly really.

The way I see it is you have to balance the ultimate performance against looks.
    If you want the latter, just buy a nice painting :D ;)

And yes Velodyne are good, but I really can't see a 6.5" driver, even with 2 PRs, doing a decent job at proper sub bass.

The Rel is probably a similar price to the Micros and all 3 are a criminal waste of money, imo :rolleyes:

As you say, you have to pay for style :(

5. The-One

The-One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My opinion of the Microvee is that it seems very poor value for money at £550+. You could spend the same money on mains that go that low, and go all the way above 20khz too.

If you really want a small light subwoofer and the SB12+ doesn't fit the bill, there is BK Gemini for just under £200

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    I agree with the point you make about size, IMO if your looking at a 6.5" driver you may as well do away with it and invest in a good pair of speaker at the front. On the other hand if you just want everything as compact as possible one small sub in the corner is an option, and in smaller rooms even more so. It will produce bass that sats just cant and maybe thats enough :confused:.

The SVS sub isnt bad looking but all the SVS gear is large and thats just a real issue sometimes. FYI, the only reason I didnt go with the SB-01 was entirely the styling.

I think the Kef options Ive highlighted are a good mix of compromise, style and performance.

7. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I was looking for a sub that would add bottom end, but not necessarily be room-shaking. Size is quite important, but I'm willing to compromise slightly.

I was considering the R270hd speakers + ~£500 sub. However, I suppose I could go fr something like the PMC DB1 bookshelfs, and that might give me more bass and better overall sound.

8. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    You really think the SB12+ isn't stylish, in wood veneer?

SVSound - Box Subwoofers - SVS SB12-Plus

I'd say it's miles better looking than the micro, but it just goes to show we're all different :smashin:

9. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I doubt either would go as low as even the Microvee, tbh.

I'd simply go for the biggest sub you can tolerate.

10. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    Sorry badger, which ones do you mean when you say they wouldn't go as low as the microvee? The PMC DB1is? Which other ones?

11. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    I was reffering to the styling of the speaker package as a case in point rather thsn the subs. I do think the finish on their subs is really very good as subs go. I think the issue is more to do with size, which in the sub world has everything to do with everyting.

The only reason I got away with my/our sub is because I pretended not to know exactly how big it was and said I couldnt return it lol. We've made do now and got used to out new table :rotfl:

12. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Bookshelves wont go as low as any sub period (unless you do a silly comparison). The extra bass form floorstanders comes mainly from the cabinets and ports and bookshelves dont have these. The R270's I own produce bass, more than you would expect, but still not like any sub at all can and I bet the HDs wont be much different. You'll need full size floorstanders to match the bass a sub will produce, even a small one. Good full size floorstanders will better than the microsubs though, hence my earlier comment that I'd rather have a good pair up front rather than a micro sub. A full size proper sub though is not replacable unless yo have litally thousands to spend.

The R270+sub is a nice combo , and these floorstanders are clear as a bell so you dont have to worry about that issue you mentioned. They are definatly missing something without a sub, I know I ran without one for 6 months but sutch is the case with style speakers. Its livable but not preferable, although you lose nothing trying witout a sub at first, you can always add one later if you decide you need it. I'm probably a bit of a bass head, if your looking at micros I'm guessing your not quite so much. There are a few little points worth considering regarding the 270's though I can refer you to if you so desire, obviously this isnt the plcae for that.

13. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    Thanks Moonfly. I was about to get a set of R270HDs and RSW12 sub, but wasn't completely sold on the R270s as I've never really been a fan of metal tweeters. Maybe I should give them another chance. I'm considering the PMC as I suspect they are a level up from the 270s, and would be fine with a sub. I may try to get a demo tomorrow.

You heard the RSW12, out of interest? I can get them and the 270s for quite a decent price.

14. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I misread your post, thinking you meant the 270 on their own :suicide:

PMC? As good as they are, they aren't going to match even the micros for depth, at a guess.

15. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    The rsw12 is an ok sub, and I guess its the compact size your looking at. It can be bettered but its by no means a bad sub. You might be better off looking at the BK XLS 200 but having not heard the BK I cant giv an honest direct comparison.

The MA sub will certainly add that low end grunt you need and improve the bass in music, and unless your big on analysing the sound from your sub then theres no problem buying that one.

RE the metal tweeters. They are considered overly bright if anything and certainly never dull or understated. I'd stay away from them if all you have is laminate, leather furniture, hard bare walls and patio doors in your living room. If you have at least some soft furnishings they'll be fine and if your room is nothing but deep pile carpets, big soft fabric furniture (and padded walls god forbid :rotfl:) your probably better off with a metal tweeter.

16. Greenfence

Greenfence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just demo'd a Microvee today for a "second system" - for it's size it is marvellous and looks good to boot. On paper the sub is not fantastic but in the flesh in a medium-sized-room it actually sounds much deeper than it's spec would suggest - a very precise articulate bass. Why not demo one?