Opinions on LS50 Meta Package

laffs

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on this package deal for a NAD D3045 plus LS50 Meta.

How is the pairing? The amp has all the features I'm looking for and 60Wpc.

I'm becoming set on the LS50's which leaves me looking at amps in the £600 sort of range, preferably with wireless connectivity. Any better options if the NAD isn't up to it?

Cheers

Not familiar with the nad. But the speakers need a lot of power! Notorious for being power hungry. Still nad always makes power full amplifiers. I believe it’s class d topology. So less heat, more power to the speakers.

What’s your room size, listing position?

It could work, but I would perhaps see if it works first. As example the Yamaha 803D is better options. Rotel RA14MK2. Not so familiar with Rotel. It could be the Rotel well make the sound to clinical.

KEF in my opinion are very upper midrange focused speakers. Need an amplifier with warm sound. Rega is very popular here on avforums.

Epically the ls50. The other models are warmer sounding.

Others we’ll soon help with other alternatives. In the Uk other popular amplifiers are Cyrus, Roksan. Not so popular here in Norway.

OK thanks for the info. The Yamaha is too big in height to fit in our new unit, which is why I'm replacing my old Yamaha Receiver! I'll check out your other suggestions.

OK thanks for the info. The Yamaha is too big in height to fit in our new unit, which is why I'm replacing my old Yamaha Receiver! I'll check out your other suggestions.
The Rotel Tribute might suit the speakers. The Marantz PM8006 also. Nad C368, Nad C388 are also good alternatives.

May I ask how much money you are going to spend on the amplifier of your choice?

As I said I’m not familiar with the Nad amplifier you are referring to. But the Nad C368, Nad 388 I am. They most certainly we’ll drive the KEF speakers to ear shattering volume.

As mentioned Rega is very popular with KEF. Rega Elict R, Rega Elex R as few examples.

The new Nad amplifiers are Class D based amplifiers. Meaning they don’t waste a lot of current, but instead makes sure the speakers them selfs gets the current they need. Normal Class AB amplifiers produces a lot of heat which rather could drive the speakers.

So in short Class D amplifiers are very efficient. As mentioned I believe the Nad amplifier you are referring to, is also Class D.

So try the Nad amplifier, KEF speakers first. If you are happy, then that’s all that counts.

Good luck.

The Rotel Tribute might suit the speakers. The Marantz PM8006 also. Nad C368, Nad C388 are also good alternatives.

May I ask how much money you are going to spend on the amplifier of your choice?
I'm looking at less than £1500 for amp and speakers.

I'm starting to think I'd maybe be better off forgetting the LS50's for now and getting a pair of Dali Oberon 5's. Some good looking deals with either an Audiolab 6000a or a Marantz PM7000N. I'm liking the look of the latter, but I need to get up to a retailer to have a listen really.

I'm looking at less than £1500 for amp and speakers.

I'm starting to think I'd maybe be better off forgetting the LS50's for now and getting a pair of Dali Oberon 5's. Some good looking deals with either an Audiolab 6000a or a Marantz PM7000N. I'm liking the look of the latter, but I need to get up to a retailer to have a listen really.
The Oberon 5 are fine speakers. I’ve owned them before. Rather get the Marantz PM8006 with the Yamaha WXD-50 streamer. It’s the cheapest streamer Yamaha has in their catalog. If you can get the new Node 2021 streamer, then that’s also good.

I am not entirely sure the Yamaha streamer supports gapless playback, but the Node does. Important with albums like Pink Floyd.

Marantz PM700N can sometimes have issues with streaming music from Spotify etc. I don’t own it my self, but I keep reading some people are having issues. That’s not to say it’s a terrible streaming amplifier! Usually you can find more negative reviews online, then positive. Though there are some treads here on this forum about the problems I’m talking about.

Still it’s difficult to tell. Do they use WiFi or LAN. Always use LAN, much more stable. If you can only use WiFi, then see if it works.

Marantz are very stable. I own the Marantz PM8006. Used to run the Oberon 5 with it. The PM8006 has warm, detailed, dynamic sound. Not so neutral as other amplifiers. Relaxing sound.

The Oberon 5 have full bass for their size. The bass is deep. The tweeter can be too bright for some. Still the Marantz we’ll remedy the tweeter with its warm sound,

Personally I think the LS50’s and a budget amp are a shortcut to disappointment. They need a high-current quality amp to drive them and control them. And in my own view, I still wouldn’t like them, but that’s personal taste at work.

What will be your main sources? That may help you narrow down an amp.
What do you like listening to?

In a room your size, I would definitely be considering stand mounted speakers or small floorstanders.

By all means use opinions on here to put together a shortlist, but I really would recommend making full use of your local dealers and listening to as much as possible before you pull the trigger.

I can personally vouch for the Quad Vena II. It’s a superb high current large power supply amp that kicks much higher than its quoted watts per channel figure suggests. (I’d personally avoid the Quad Vena II Play which includes a streamer. If you need a streamer I’d recommend a separate one).

But the Vena II has a great DAC, RCA analogue and optical & coax digital inputs, a USB input so you can attach your computer directly to it, and sounds superb. Timing’s great, tonality is spot on, and it just sounds big and dynamic running my diminutive Ruark Epilogue II’s. It’s just fun, somehow squeezing any little bit of musical joy from whatever you’re playing. The Ruarks aren’t made now, so I’d consider the Monitor Audio Silver 50’s as a starting point - especially the previous 6th generation which should be heavily discounted now.

The Quad & MA Silver 50’s would, I believe pleasantly surprise you for the budget. Just factor in some suitable speaker stands.

Oh and IMO, I think it’s worth paying the extra £100 for the piano finishes on the amp. Mine in white looks really smart. Certainly not an amp you feel needs to be hidden away for its looks.

I have a lower power version, the D3020. Very nice. Both use Hypex amplifiers. Not sure the term budget amp quite does it justice. The main limitation is that it doesn’t have room correction.

Based on my experience I would definitely not pair the LS50 with that amp, I would suggest an absolute minimum of 100W per channel - your room isn't big, but 3.5m from the speakers...

I am just very sceptical - I don't think you will like it, certainly not if you ever want to play loud.

Keep in mind that the Wireless II version of that speaker comes with 380W amplifiers built into each speaker.

Personally I’d buy these and save a load of doubt and faf.

And there’s £75 quid off from eBay.

Top class speakers, and you’ll have enough left for a first class sub too.

A better bet than passives and amps at you budget.

Unless you can find an Arcam SR250 with the mighty Dirac for your budget or a bit above and the 50 Metas. That would be very special indeed.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom