Opinions on Hitachi DVD-RAM Digital Camcorders

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by hrstruggle, Jul 8, 2002.

1. hrstruggle

hrstruggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering buying the Hitachi DZ-MV230A which will record your video directly to a mini-DVD RAM (re-writable media) or a mini-DVD-R (permanent media).

I've heard good and bad things about it and would like more first-hand experiences from users.

Some of the bad things I've heard include lousy support from Hitachi since the product is brand new, difficulty in obtaining accessories (such as light, PC-Kit and battery), jittery play-back of burned DVDs on standard DVD players, lousy manuals and poor quality in low-light indoor settings.

The good things I've heard are its great ability to edit movies while on the camera with the use of thumbnailed images, the ability to burn directly to a DVD which you can watch and the fact that you have a DVD-burner and video camera all-in-one.

Anybody who has used this camera have any personal experiences? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks for your input,

Howard

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hitachi support improving, as you say cameras are brand new, plus they lost the whole contents of an articulated trailer which delayed supplies.
    DC Light (DZ-LD9), PC Editing Kit (DZ-WINPC3W) and Battery Packs (DZ-BP14 & 28) availibility increasing.
    Jittery? Playback of burned DVDs on DVD-R capable players is fine.
    Lousy manuals....what's new!
    Poor low light quality, 0.5 lux, not the best out there.

Personally, if you like the idea, the cameras are very good, try one yourself, usual reply I know.
    I prefer standard Mini-DV or DV cameras, the picture performance is slightly better and the choice of models/discounts is better.

3. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just got my Hitachi mv230e yesterday,i have not had much of a chance to play with it but it seems very good.
    The disc navagation is superb,no rewinding tape,just pick a thumbnail of what you have recorded and hit play.
    Sorry i can't say much more as i have just got it and am off to Florida in a few hours.
    I will let you Know how i get on when i come back if still interested.
    If you are buying one unbeatable.co.uk are selling it for £804 which is a saving of nearly 200 quid and one of the most helpful companys i have used.
    Very difficult to find 8cm DVD-R disc in the UK.
    Circut city have them so i am buying a few while on hols

Hambone:D