1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opinions on Ghost Recon vs GR2

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Triggaaar, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    I read the GR thread in the online section, and following the play.com bargain, had to buy it.

Played it last night, and was a little disappointed (as it seems were a lot of others). They've made it more like the conflict series (conflict desert storm etc) - possibly because CDS sold more. I got CDS & GR at the same time, and played CDS all the way through, and didn't touch GR, as I found it too difficult. However, seeing so many of your rate GR, I started playing it recently (I'm not on live yet) and ultimately found it much more rewarding than CDS, and have almost completed every objective (GR seems more realistic: the lay of the land, and cover are much more important in GR; missions weren't too linear, you could go round the map however you liked; in CDS, if a member of your team had their head removed, you could patch it back on, and they'd be good as new). But the first couple of missions in GR2 are so like CDS its stupid.

Its clear from the other thread that its better online than the first, due to a few things, like not having to hold the white button down. But what about the single player campaign? There are so many good games about, it's difficult to know if its worth investing time in it. For those who have played the campaign in GR and GR2, is GR2 as good?

Thanks

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    GR2 is good in single player - much better than GR 1 i believe. There are a number of problems with the campaign in Gr2 - the AI of your team is utter :censored: it really is very very poor - i normally just shoot my team as they are so useless. In Gr the Ai was much better plus you could take control of each member and set up way points etc. this gave you much more control.
    Also you can save anywhere you like in Gr2 which does make it far to easy.
    But the main point is get on live and enjoy these games the way they were meant to be played - you can play all the missions in Co op so you can have a squad of human players who actually do something (unlike the AI). Plus all the team modes its far more enjoyable.

3. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    ive been disappointed with gr2 online.

great game - but i cant complete one game without it kicking me.

got fed up of it and went back to halo2

will have a look after the patch is released.

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Agreed GR 2 is rubbish online. Besides the lag there are so many bugs in it the cheaters make it less than no fun.

The single player game is quite good though (AI is awful). I cant believe some people were saying it was better than Halo 2. Its just embarassing :rolleyes:

Another point to note is that it was half priced in virtually all the retails out lets to £17.99 within a few weeks of launch. Not a good indication its obviously not selling well at all.

Never mind I sold Island thunder to someone on ebay for £12 so it only cost me a fiver to trade up, its worth £5 for the single player.

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Isn't there enough people on here to play it with, with no cheating? Or are there lots of cheats here too?

6. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I think most of the lads will be playing Halo 2 and the awesome pro evo 4 on live.

7. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well theres loads of us that play it online and now Easy Shooter has got a suped up connection(400k upload :thumbsup: ) he can host some nice big 16 player games.
    I have yet to come accross any cheating online - unlike Halo 2 which really suffers from annoying yanks doing the sword glitch.
    Also no lag in any of the games i've played - god knows what who you were playing????
    As for people being kicked - (you getting the game is not available message) thats because the host is trying to hold to many players and it will just kick a load of them. on a 256k upload which most of us have you should(does depend on the quality of your connection) be able to host 10 player team games and 6 player Co -op(depends on map and game mode eg Battle Map in Mission mode i can only hold 4 players ) games - this is what i can hold with no problems but as soon as i go above that it starts kicking people out during the game.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Whats the sword glitch on Halo 2 ? I do get killed alot by Swords :(

9. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I hate the swords - most unbalanced weapon ever :mad:
    The main sword glitch is sword flying where you can fly across a whole - its very funny to see. I wont post how to do it here though as its very annoying online so dont wont even more people doing it. You can also do it in the single player.
    There are other glitches that you can do eg. Grenade jumping.

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    yeah I must say, whilst i've not played Halo 2 a massive amount I do always just get killed by clowns with swords who just kill me straight away all the time. The last game I played I came 4th and the guy above me had a couple more kills - the top two had over double the amount of kills that we had each and they killed me with swords no end of times! TBH as long as such silly glitches remain it's pretty pointless playing really, especially if you don't know the glitches!

Personally the only times i've really enjoyed playing Halo 2 was when I played it with some guys off the forum a while back.

PES4 is the only game I play on live these days, even if it does have stacks of problems with it!

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It does depend on the people you have playing. Its alot better now a couple of mates play it regular online. We form up in a party and because the 3 of us are all UK based we seem to end up in games with more UK players than when I play on my own.

TO be honest its the first I have heard of any bugs on Halo 2 and they havent really spoiled it for me, I have played over 150 games online now.

Its still easily the best game on Live. Anyway back to Ghost Recon 2. I still think its a good game on single player, so I bet the online Co op is quite good whill have to give that a go.

12. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Heres another cheat that some people are doing on Halo 2 - had this happen a couple of times in game and its bloody annoying.......
    You get a blue/black screen come up mid game with connecting...etc like the game is giving someone else the hosting but when the game restarts you find yourself dead and the other team are miles away with the flag etc

It counts as cheating because on some routers, there is a stand-by button that suspends the internet connection. If you press it, it gives everyone that blue screen except the person who pushed the stand-by button. That person can then run around and kill everyone, capture a flag, or arm a bomb without any trouble. People are getting banned because of this cheat.

Theres another out there called the LAG cheat. Its when someone who is running a gateway through their computer and they put the computer on standby it gives everyone extreme lag and i have been a victim of it the only problem with this cheat is you can't tell who's doing it cause everyone lags even the cheater so its pretty gay but people still do it.

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not had those problems. The thing with Halo 2 is that most people tend to play with people on their friends list so its not an issue really.

14. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well i tend to play with people on my friends list aswell - we then go on a matchmaking killfest and thats where the cheating comes as the other people you are playing arent your 'friends'

15. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    In fairness I do use Matchmaking a fair bit as well. 90% of the games are good gamming experiences especially when I dont use lagtastic wifi :rolleyes:

16. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i got gr2 for xmas as a present. i have yet to play as i have not seen any of you guys that are on my friends list playing it.

Is anyone still playing gr2?

if so, let me know?

17. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,788
    I think GR2 is a good game online, though the xbox live interface is dreadful. Been spending my time in the last week between this and Rainbow 6 3: Black Arrow which is still the daddy IMHO

18. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes still playing this great game - not sure if i still have your gamertag on my friends list (deleted loads as i havent seen them online for ages)
    So add me again if i have