Stand Optional Extra
Teletext
Contrast Ratio 1500:1
Viewing Angle (H) 160 degrees
Viewing Angle (V) 160 degrees
Colour System PAL/SECAM/NTSC
Brightness 700CD/M2
Tuner
Resolution (Pixels) 1280 X 960 Sub-Pixels (HD 720P & 1080i)
S Video Input 1
PC Input
DVI DVI-D
Component Video Input
Composite Input
Colour 16.7 Million Displayable Colours
Comments MGDI Engine

Opinions? Obviously it won't be as good as the good old Panny 500 jobby but thats 2.5x the price :eek:

How does this compare to the Samung PS-42S5HX? They are my two current considerations. (Samsung here http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=4189 ).

Also, using the Long distance selling act, is it possible to try one of these bad boys out and return it if I find it not up to standard?

looking at the Daewoo website it reads like they are pulling a marketing fast one here. According to the specs the resolution is 853 X 480 pixels (WIDE VGA) and 1280 X 960 sub-pixels (HD 720P & 1080i).

What are Sub-pixels?

Perhaps thats why it is so cheap, it isnt a real HD set.

I missed this one...I hope he didnt buy it...Dont touch anything made by Daewoo...you will regret it

I think the sub-pixels are internal processing concepts, which are used as an intermediate format prior to conversion to 853x480 for display?

They should not be confused with real pixels - they may improve the quality of conversions, but they won't increase the resolution above 480 lines.

It certainly wouldn't qualify the display as HD-Ready...

That wikipedia definition is slightly different - sub-pixels can also be used in image processing situations to allow for smoother movement etc.

More of this dodgy mis-selling. Plastering specs with things like this, mentioning 720p and 1080i, using phrases like "HD Capable"...

It is very cynical marketing. There could be some genuine value on a downscaler if there were going to be HD channels that were only going to be HD. But with the foreseeable reality being SD simulcast, it's meaningless. A panel's scaler being better than the broadcasters? I'd be surprised.

In time, this marketing trickery will get eroded- alot of people now know that digitial zoom on cameras is irrelevant, and in time I hope the press and word of mouth will also educate people about HD.

I didn't go for it btw - wouldn't buy a Daewoo TV for £1200 tbh!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom