Opinions on Champix & Zyban

plaver

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Bannockburn, Australia & Benfleet England
I after opinions on Champix & Zyban has anyone here used either for giving up smoking.

I want to quit, I've tried all sorts of ways is the past and got down to 1 or 2 a day, cold Turkey etc but then slipped back to 15 to 20 a day

Any comments based on your experenice's would be much appreciated.

Hi,

Stay the HELL away from Champix - it has some very serious issues related to it - notably many of it's users have committed suicide. Statistically, Zyban does not have a great success rate either and it is expensive and also has issues of it's own. Personally I would steer well clear of both these drugs. Please do some research and review independent long term findings not just the blurb the drug and marketing companies and in many cases the FDA, DOH etc. put out.

Suave.

Ive heard these type of drugs affect the brain receptors and as such can have serious adverse affects in some cases.

Personally im not sure i would use these even as a last resort!

I've been reading reports on the web. Which why I'm interested in getting other users opinions on here.

I've also spoken with other users (Couple freinds and family) who have used only Zyban and been successful with no real side-effects.

One of my former work colleagues used Zyban when trying to give up smoking, said it gave him the weirdest trippy dreams he'd ever had, though i gather they werent particularly pleasant. Think he also said it messed up his appetite as well.

My parents tried both a couple of years ago and they're both still smoking.
With Champix they had to stop after a few days because they felt really sick and poorly.

I used zyban years ago. sleep patterns went a bit doolally, and had I a dry mouth while I was using them, stopped smoking for 2 years, this time I used the Alan Carr book, by the end of the book I had stopped smoking, hardly any withdrawal pangs, just over 3 months gone by.

Gary

According to my doctor it was the Zyban I had to stay away from as they did not want me jumping off any bridges etc. (clash with other meds!!!)
They gave me the champix BUT at week two I started to feel sickly in the stomach puking etc. So I just stopped taking them I tried champix twice over a year BTW
I feel personally though that I do not drink alcohol or take narcotics to change my state of mind so seeing as how I enjoy smoking I will probably keep doing so maybe one day I will quit... I know one thing for certain though...: I will die at the end of my life (as will everyone else) what's the big deal about living to 110 and wearing a nappy again???

I used zyban years ago. sleep patterns went a bit doolally, and had I a dry mouth while I was using them, stopped smoking for 2 years, this time I used the Alan Carr book, by the end of the book I had stopped smoking, hardly any withdrawal pangs, just over 3 months gone by.

Gary

Thanks for the input, can you give a link or more info on the Alan Carr book

According to my doctor it was the Zyban I had to stay away from as they did not want me jumping off any bridges etc. (clash with other meds!!!)
They gave me the champix BUT at week two I started to feel sickly in the stomach puking etc. So I just stopped taking them I tried champix twice over a year BTW
I feel personally though that I do not drink alcohol or take narcotics to change my state of mind so seeing as how I enjoy smoking I will probably keep doing so maybe one day I will quit... I know one thing for certain though...: I will die at the end of my life (as will everyone else) what's the big deal about living to 110 and wearing a nappy again???

Very well put :)

Hi Plaver,

I'm in a similar situation as you at them moment, have tried cold turkey and patches - neither of which worked for very long though.

I have a friend who used one of the drugs - he got on ok with them but personally I'm steering clear of them. Another friend has stopped for two weeks now after a session of hypnotherapy - at the time he thought it was all a load of b******s but he walked out and actually thought 'I don't want a cigarette'.

I've just ordered a copy of the Allen Carr book from Play: Play.com (UK) : Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life : Books - Free Delivery

Just waiting for it to arrive, then I have to pluck up the courage to read it, lol. I think, for me at least I need something to alter my thinking about smoking - like hypnotherapy or the book (but not the drugs, lol) - I enjoy it a lot but do want to stop, I think the book helps to turn your thinking around so you see smoking as a negative thing (which it really is) rather than the positive thing you enjoy.

Anyway that's enough from me - good luck to you. (Reckon this post will probably get merged with the quitting smoking thread soon...?)

Last edited:
Zyban is a big no no for me and most Gp`s now i believe imo it has to many side effects and some are not nice at all i knew a woman i worked with had heart palpatations with them not good at all.

Champix on the other hand is excellent imo i took them once and stop using them because they were working:D I speak to a few friends a few who are Gp`s on the subject of champix and they have high hopes and good things to say about it i would get the champix every day of the week ut thats just me

speak to your gp and see what he recommends for you and discuss the side effects that you have researched doctors love patients that use google:D

I tried Zyban. It works in the fact that you'll not want to smoke. This is ussually because you're feeling sick as hell. If you are prepared to go through the mill a bit, it's worth it. I couldn't never claim it was a pleasant experience though.

What f1 boy said for the book, my missus has stopped reading the book, cos she can feel herself not wanting to smoke, go figure!!

Gary

Hi Plaver,

I'm in a similar situation as you at them moment, have tried cold turkey and patches - neither of which worked for very long though.

I have a friend who used one of the drugs - he got on ok with them but personally I'm steering clear of them. Another friend has stopped for two weeks now after a session of hypnotherapy - at the time he thought it was all a load of b******s but he walked out and actually thought 'I don't want a cigarette'.

I've just ordered a copy of the Allen Carr book from Play: Play.com (UK) : Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life : Books - Free Delivery

Just waiting for it to arrive, then I have to pluck up the courage to read it, lol. I think, for me at least I need something to alter my thinking about smoking - like hypnotherapy or the book (but not the drugs, lol) - I enjoy it a lot but do want to stop, I think the book helps to turn your thinking around so you see smoking as a negative thing (which it really is) rather than the positive thing you enjoy.

Anyway that's enough from me - good luck to you. (Reckon this post will probably get merged with the quitting smoking thread soon...?)

I am same as I enjoy smokeing I know that sounds silly, I gonna order the book and go see my Quack and take from there.

Zyban is a big no no for me and most Gp`s now i believe imo it has to many side effects and some are not nice at all i knew a woman i worked with had heart palpatations with them not good at all.

Champix on the other hand is excellent imo i took them once and stop using them because they were working:D I speak to a few friends a few who are Gp`s on the subject of champix and they have high hopes and good things to say about it i would get the champix every day of the week ut thats just me

speak to your gp and see what he recommends for you and discuss the side effects that you have researched doctors love patients that use google:D

:hiya: Now that's very strange, after doing quite a bit reading last night my opinion of Champix was don't touch it, the plus side to Champix apart from stopping smoking, it does wonders for a woman's sex drive :eek:but bugger all for men :(

:hiya: Now that's very strange, after doing quite a bit reading last night my opinion of Champix was don't touch it, the plus side to Champix apart from stopping smoking, it does wonders for a woman's sex drive :eek:but bugger all for men :(

speak to your gp we are all different what works for one will not work for another what side effects one gets the other will not

There's already a huge giving up the FAGS thread on here - most people that have given up seem to have read Allen Carrs book, myself included. Couldn't recommend it enough and at less than the price of a packet of fags it's saved me a fortune. According to 'Quitter' on my phone I've not smoked for 5 months 26 days and I've saved £895!

edit: Also, there's no side effects from reading a book!

PS: I may have a pdf copy lying around somewhere ;) Mods, please let me know if this is unsuitable and I'll remove.
Cheers

There's already a huge giving up the FAGS thread on here - most people that have given up seem to have read Allen Carrs book, myself included. Couldn't recommend it enough and at less than the price of a packet of fags it's saved me a fortune. According to 'Quitter' on my phone I've not smoked for 5 months 26 days and I've saved £895!

edit: Also, there's no side effects from reading a book!

PS: I may have a pdf copy lying around somewhere ;) Mods, please let me know if this is unsuitable and I'll remove.
Cheers

I think it's gonna take more than book for me as I have no will power where smoking is concerned, not drinking alchol is not problem

I tried the Zyban out in 2007. Was taking the tablets and on the 9th day i just quit. Didnt want one or feel the need to have one. I stopped taking the tablets as well. I was doing good for a few days but had a bad night and had a drink. After that i was smoking again.

Took the tablets again after a couple of weeks and i was fine for the first few days, then after that i was getting really dark thoughts. Was awful, all i could think about was death and killing my self. I stopped them straight away. My sleeping was bad while i was taking them both times, i wasnt eating alot. But they did work. I have an apointment this monday with a doctor to go back on them. If they dont work im going to try the book.

I tried the Zyban out in 2007. Was taking the tablets and on the 9th day i just quit. Didnt want one or feel the need to have one. I stopped taking the tablets as well. I was doing good for a few days but had a bad night and had a drink. After that i was smoking again.

Took the tablets again after a couple of weeks and i was fine for the first few days, then after that i was getting really dark thoughts. Was awful, all i could think about was death and killing my self. I stopped them straight away. My sleeping was bad while i was taking them both times, i wasnt eating alot. But they did work. I have an apointment this monday with a doctor to go back on them. If they dont work im going to try the book.

Would you mind feeding back how you get on Monday. thanks

Tried zyban and never agiain gave me terrible flash backs and the like, more than likley due to me altering my brain chemistry when I was younger and dafter than anthing else.

Still smoking tho planning on stopping soon (ish)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom