1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on AE Evo 3 package, and this package vs Sub/Sat systems

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by GavinH, Sep 30, 2003.

1. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I am after people’s advice please. I am trying to decide which surround speaker package to go for, and currently I am thinking the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo3 package. This is based only on its price (it is around my budget point) and reviews from (mainly) What Hi Fi. I have not yet had a chance to audition the speakers… So I was hoping to get the opinion of those that have used these speakers.

The speakers are going in my living room, which is 15’ x 13’, so I suppose the first question is whether or not this is enough room for these speakers?

The Amp: I have already bought the amp, I have the Sony STR-V555ES. I am assuming that this will do a pretty good job of driving the Evo’s…?

I am really interested in getting good stereo sound, which again, based only on reviews is one of the reasons that I am opting for the Evo’s. Would people who have this package say the Evo3’s are good stereo speakers?

An alternative? If it turns out that the room is not big enough for these speakers to work at there best, then I guess I will go for a sub/satellite set up. In this case the B&W V1/A1 (I think that’s the model) package and the Kef eggs seem like good choices. However, as the Kefs can be found for a lot less – they might be preferable.

I have a few questions about this… Does anyone have experience of how well the Kef eggs or the B&Ws compare with the Evo3’s for stereo sound?

Would the Kef’s or the B&W’s be stretching the Sony amp?

If the Kef’s / B&W’s / AE’s all retail at about the same price, but the AE’s are much bigger speakers, is it likely that the satellites are better quality? Anyone have any first hand experience of this?

Thanks for any help, Gav

2. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I have got the Aegis 3's...and I am really impressed with them. Our lounge is about 8ft longer and 2ft wider. They sound really well with my ancient first generation Kenwood DTS amp that I brought with me from Hong Kong...
    They do take a while running in, and sound considerably better when you give them some oomph...i.e. louder volumes. I think they get too boomy when placed closed to the wall, so consider that they will have to get into the room a bit...Mine are about 2ft either way from the wall in the corners along the shorter side of the room. So give them some room and they sound fantastic....
    The front steering with the Aegis center is fantastic and tonally really balanced if you can say that.
    I sold my one's that I had for rears, main reason was that we wanted some floor space back in the rear. I had them on Atacama Nexus 6 stands. I went for Aegis Compacts as the rears. They are fantastic for surround information, I don't tend to listen to music in 5.1 although I am awaiting Sting's DTS disc this week. Actually we got Sting's Sacred Heart cd this weekend, absolutely fantastic on the 3's....Anyway I think they are better for the job, perhaps also because I fixed them higher up with the AE brackets....
    Also I never bothered going for the sub, I got a Velodyne CHT-10 instead. Nicely compliments the set-up...

My wife and I are actually going to demo a sat setup, with our own subwoofer. The reason for it being that we have got a little girl running around with way too much interest in those speakers. However we said that they will have to match the stereo quality of the 3's otherwise it is no go....Our short list are the B&W VM1's, the new Eggs or the Gallo's....All to be used with the Velodyne sub. But if they are no good, we are going to keep the 3's...We are slightly worried about a tiny sound....