Opinions on a "Subby" Sky+ Install.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by de_deej, Dec 1, 2004.

1. de_deej

de_deej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I have done a lot of searching on this forum and it has helped me a lot over the last couple of years. But I now have a specefic problem which I really would appreciate some help with.

I had Sky+ installed last Thursday and I was wondering if anybody was able to give me there opinions on the installation as I am not completely happy with it compared to a previous Sky+ install I had at my old address.

Firstly, I tried to tell the engineer that the dish that was already on the property was not mine and I had to give it back to the previous owner. His response was: "the dish belongs to the property and should never be removed". However I told him that when I canceled Sky 2 weeks ago they told me that if I wanted to recoonect I should remove the dish and take it with me. He then told me that Sky were wrong. I really didn't want a second hand dish but I had to accept it as he wasn't going to replace it. Is this normal, or did he fob me off ?

Secondly, the cable he used was a lot thiner and weeker then that at my last house, which was the same as cable engineers use to install Telewest broadband. He used the same type of cable that was already in the house, which had been used for a normal digi-box. Is this right as when I done some research into a self install with my old equipment I got the impression the cable had to be different ?

Thirdly, He did not force a software download on the box, nor did he appear to allign the dish eventhough the signal strength did not appear to be that great.

Finally, the cable conectors at the back of the box have not been sealed (I have not checked the dish), in fact the type he has used is the cheap screw on silver connectors which you would expect to buy in comet. Again on my previous install the had been sealed just like a broadband connection.

Although I am not happy with the installation the problems I have are minor, but I am afraid they may get worse. The Problems are:

Poor picture quality compared to my last install, the box I was given was a New Amstrad, I also have a pace box which I plan to sell (as the amstrad will be under warranty). I don't think it is anything to do with the box, because when I plug the Pace box in the picture is the same. Is this to do with the install ?

Picture sometimes freezes, and skips almost as if the hard drive skipped in playback however this happens in live TV.

Picture freezes during recorded programme playback while fast forwarding. The only way to resolve this is to go to the Sky+ planner and select the recording from start again.

Poor signal quality, both signals are locked fine, however signal 1 was only about a 10th of the bar. Signal 2 was fine. I turned of the box for a while and rebooted and the strength appeared to get better however it still isn't great.

Finally I have noticed some minor channels such as 425 "spin2win" and a few more read as no satalite signal is being received. I never watch these but I know I had them before.

Any help or opinions you could offer me on any of these issues would be great, but basicly I need to know if I should call Sky and get them to check it out ??

Thanks in advance.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Simple advice, if you are not happy then get SKY back, any loss of signal or missing channels points to a poor installation. You know from past experience how SKY+ should be setup and perform so you know the current setup isn't good enough.
    It may be worth swapping the LNB cables over just to confirm the signal reception is being affected either by the LNB/cable or SKY+ tuner, when you contact SKY you can pass that info on which gives your complaint some authority compared to a caller who might just say "it doesn't work".

It sounds like the dish is not aligned correctly and the LNB may also be poorly positioned, this would account for the signal break up, low meter readings and missing channels. The difference in readings between the two tuners could also point to a faulty LNB or poorly installed cable.

There is not a technical reason to replace an existing dish IF it's in good condition, you have however paid for the installation so by rights are owed a minidish.
    The cable used for SKY+ should either be the same as a standard install or a shotgun cable which contains the two cables in a single sheath, the connections should be sealed and water tight on the LNB but there is no reason for the F-connectors at the digibox end to be sealed or covered.

3. de_deej

de_deej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Starburst, I think I am going to call Sky today. Do you know if I can request a Sky engineer and not a Subby ??

Thanks again.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Not sure how it works, you can of course request a different installer with the reasoning that if he couldn't do it right the first time you don't want the same one again. However I have no idea if SKY are that flexible (I doubt they are) however with SKY installers and contractors covering a wide area it's likely you will get someone else.