1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opinions on a Electromehome ecp 4000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Uffe, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uffe

Uffe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I´m thinking of buying a Electrohome ecp 4000, would like
    to know if it accepts anamorphic and if the picture quality is
    good on a htpc. I have a amd xp 1800 with a geforce 3 card
    and 256 mb ddr. thanks in advance, Uffe

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

The ecp series projectors are pretty good but a little 'rare' here in the UK (couldn't say about Sweden though.)

You can set up different aspect ratios on the projectors memories by adjusting the picture height.

Picture quality from a htpc should be pretty good as the 4000 should be able to scan to some high rates. You can feed the projectors rgbhv inputs directly from the pc using a vga to 5 bnc connectors. You should also use a bnc t-connector to merge the h and v sync signals as the ecp series 'prefers' to see a rgb and combined sync. Don't bother about the regular video inputs (if you have the input card) as they suffer from problems with chroma shift and aren't considered very good. A good place to look for ecp information is on the AVS forums.

Brian.

3. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want to know exactly what it can do go here link you can download the manual ,it's the 3100\4100 manual .

i have an ecp4500 (nearly the same) . i am running mine from a pc at 1024x768 at 75hz and get a great pic out of it

as Brian said don't even think about using the video imputs if it has the video board fitted . when i got mine it only had a video board and no rgb board . i soon got one though and the diferens is incredible. i don't see whay so many people have a problem with the sinc sig though . i run mine with seperate sinc and have no prob

all the best
    simon

4. Uffe

Uffe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Brian and Simon ! I now got the pj, don´t have
    a dvd rom yet but i have a Pioneer 646A dvd player
    which i´m running s-video from into some sort of converter
    which converts s-video to vga i think. Incredible picture
    already with this connection! Does any of you know if it´s
    possible to use a scart with rgb out from the Pioneer into
    the five bnc connetors on the pj. I tried to solder a cable but
    didn´t get any picture at all. Also, how big screen could i use?
    Now i have a 70" screen in 4:3 format, could i go up to about
    125" with still good results?

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don't think the scart to bnc cable will realy work . you need a very strong signal to run one of these babys .

when it comes to screen i'm not sure if you are talking diag or wide . i have a 72" wide 4:3 screen at present . you can go very big but the max you realy want to be looking at is 80" wide and still get a bight image

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You will need total black out to go to a screen that wide and your tubes will have to be in tiptop condition.

the scart connection can cause problems because the projector is looking for a Sync signal of about 1volt. video from memory is only about 0.75v (if you are lucky.)

To make up the scart lead use the RGB out and then use the composite video as the sync.

7. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi Uffe,

If you think it's OK, I'd suggest that you stick with your 's-video to vga converter' for the moment. As Roland suggests, the sync output from the scart isn't at a high enough voltage for the projector to lock onto. You could get around this by buying a unit from keene.co.uk which includes a small amplifier to boost the sync signal but scan lines will be pretty obvious. I use a Kramer VM-19 ? (s-video to rgb converter) unit to do this (it boosts the sync signal as well as doing the rgb conversion) and allows me to bypass the video input on my ecp

Future options to consider would be :

1. A htpc. This is probably the cheapest option if you already have a pc. If you don't have a pc, then it's probably the most expensive option (with the exception of the line doubler). You also need to be happy with the idea of using a pc for dvd playback, as it's not quite as easy as pressing play on a standalone dvd player.

2. A cheap dvd player with a progressive VGA output. Now there aren't many of these around (check out the Skyworth or Nintaus on these and avsforums) but they offer a very cost effective solution to feed dvd to the rgb inputs on the ecp. These aren't the greatest of dvd players when it comes to audio, user friendliness or performance on the other video outputs ......you'd also need to import one from Hong Kong and there has been a few other issues with these units. However, the progressive vga output is great. I use a Skyworth and I'm very happy with it.

3 .A dvd player with a progressive component output and a Key Digital (kdctc-2) component to rgbhv converter. If you're not happy with the concept of buying something from China then you can purchase some pretty cheap dvd players with good progressive outputs these days from the major manufacturers. However, they tend to have component outputs which need to converted to rgbhv. You can do this with the Key Digital unit for around $200 or some similar units.

4. Line doubler (or deinterlacer). The last option that I'm going to mention is the line doubler (such as the iScanPro) which you can use to convert interlaced component (not pal rgb though), s-video or composite to a progressive signal to feed the ecp. This option is probably the most expensive ( $700 and above) but would allow you to feed all of your video sources to the projector as a rgbhv signal. You can buy other units which also scale ( triple or quadruple) the source picture for MORE money but you probably wouldn't want to do than on a 7in ctr. The iScanPro is great at it's job.

As to screen size, I'd agree with Simon.... something around 70in WIDE is probably optimum for one of these units. You can go up to 80in but you are starting to loose brightness. I'm sure the guys here and on AVS Forum wouldn't suggest going beyond 80in for a 7in crt.

Brian.

8. Uffe

Uffe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody again!

I will buy a dvdrom soon to my pc.. I will also need
    a soundcard with dolby digtal decoder onboard, because
    i have an Arcam av50 with 5.1 ch input only. Has anyone
    tested soundblaster audigy? Is it much better than live 5.1
    player? Will it be possible to get dts from any of these?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.